SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are there any musicians who record via computer interface coupled with a mixer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are there any musicians who record via computer interface coupled with a mixer? Login/Join 
posted
What software do you use? I tried downloading the free program from Yamaha (I bought a MG10XU mixer).

Any constructive guidance is welcome.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found this very talented girl. Enjoy and God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
You're looking for "digital audio workstation" (DAW) software.

The best one that isn't super expensive is Reaper, which has a generous free trial period. The full version is $60. It's a very well-done piece of software.

ALL DAW software has a very steep learning curve, though.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
You're looking for "digital audio workstation" (DAW) software.

The best one that isn't super expensive is Reaper, which has a generous free trial period. The full version is $60. It's a very well-done piece of software.

Thanks, I'll check it out!!

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
To give you an idea of "super expensive," the big popular pro-level DAW software packages are generally about $100 for a limited intro version, about $500 for the standard version, and a couple grand for all the bells and whistles.

Reaper holds its own pretty well compared to the pro packages.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very very talented. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if she breaks into the big time.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
I've been using Presonus StudioOne for quite a while.

Looks like the full pro version is currently 299, and the Artist for 99.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I saw it on Amazon. I just installed Reaper (trial version) and will keep Presonus in mind.

I took up guitar again, after a 50 year hiatus. It's been a few months and I'm getting my legs under me now. I'm pretty excited that maybe I'll be able to put some music on my YouTube channel!

Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:

I already was very well acquainted with using analog multi-track recording equipment, and I found the three pieces pf software I've used for digital multi-track recording very intuitive.

Steinberg's Wavelab is extremely user friendly.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10705 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Another big fan of Reaper here.

We use a Presonus StudioLive 32SX digital mixer which records our jam sessions onto an SD card. I take the card home and plug it into my computer and mix the songs down in Reaper.

The Reaper website features excellent instructional videos and a forum that's like SigForum for audio guys. The program does just about everything that ProTools can do, but for a fraction of ProTools price.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
Another big fan of Reaper here.

We use a Presonus StudioLive 32SX digital mixer which records our jam sessions onto an SD card. I take the card home and plug it into my computer and mix the songs down in Reaper.

The Reaper website features excellent instructional videos and a forum that's like SigForum for audio guys. The program does just about everything that ProTools can do, but for a fraction of ProTools price.

Thanks for the tip about the videos, I'm just getting into them now!!!

posted Hide Post
I record mostly my house concerts. through a PreSonus AR12 and their Capture software which then gets mixed with Studio1 Pro. The process is pretty painless and well integrated

I also purchased a full version of Logic Pro when I got a great discount on it. I use it sometimes now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I like and use Reaper but mostly I am an Ableton Live user now. It is both a DAW and a performance tool.

https://www.ableton.com/en/

For quick and dirty recording you can also use Audacity. It is a audio editor so not in the same league as a DAW but I have grabbed some pretty good recordings using it.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chance:
I like and use Reaper but mostly I am an Ableton Live user now. It is both a DAW and a performance tool.

https://www.ableton.com/en/

For quick and dirty recording you can also use Audacity. It is a audio editor so not in the same league as a DAW but I have grabbed some pretty good recordings using it.

Thanks! I will definitely check it out.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

I already was very well acquainted with using analog multi-track recording equipment, and I found the three pieces pf software I've used for digital multi-track recording very intuitive.

Well, yes. If you already know how to do multitrack recording on old-school recording equipment, the digital multitrack recording part of DAW software that's modeled on the old equipment will be pretty familiar.

I really meant the learning curve is steep if you're starting from scratch.

Also, there's a lot more that you can do in a DAW than just recording... all kinds of processing and software instruments and stuff.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

Well, yes. If you already know how to do multitrack recording on old-school recording equipment, the digital multitrack recording part of DAW software that's modeled on the old equipment will be pretty familiar.

I really meant the learning curve is steep if you're starting from scratch.

Also, there's a lot more that you can do in a DAW than just recording... all kinds of processing and software instruments and stuff.

Me, I returned to the guitar 50 years after my mother sprung for lessons. We moved when I was 10 and I didn't resume them. After 4 months, I somehow have reacquired some of what I'd learned previously. I bought a bass guitar, mandolin, mixer and microphone yesterday.

While I am very familiar with Adobe Premiere CS5 for video editing, audio is pretty new.

Bottom line, I'm having an absolute blast but need to wade through a software that's intuitive.

I am grateful for all the responses - Thank You!!!

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Another forum (guitars) is costing me a small fortune…

Just popped for Logic, bundled w/ a new Mac Pro m2 …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I've done a fair amount of recording on Apple computers using a USB interface. Some of it was live performance taken from the mixer, most of it was in the home studio track by track. I use Logic Pro, the Apple DAW. It costs $200. Apple's Garage Band is a free app that is essentially a dumbed down version of Logic Pro, meaning the look and feel is quite similar. Prior to that I had a Windows PC and ran a Cakewalk product.

While I am quite happy with the Apple DAWs, they do have their own terminology and layout. I found the Cakewalk DAW much more intuitive. If you have an Apple computer I would start with Garage Band since it is free, with the idea of upgrading to Logic Pro in the future.

Changing DAW requires learning new terminology and key commands.

I highly HIGHLY recommend doing the Music Production courses from Berklee College of Music on Coursera.org . https://www.coursera.org/speci...ons/music-production The approach is for you on your own equipment to learn how to set up the software (sampling rate, inputs, outputs, minimize latency, etc), how to flow the signal through the DAW, and how to get the best sounding results. I learned a ton from the course. And best of all it is FREE.

Posts: 9443 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
I've done a fair amount of recording on Apple computers using a USB interface. Some of it was live performance taken from the mixer, most of it was in the home studio track by track. I use Logic Pro, the Apple DAW. It costs $200. Apple's Garage Band is a free app that is essentially a dumbed down version of Logic Pro, meaning the look and feel is quite similar. Prior to that I had a Windows PC and ran a Cakewalk product.

While I am quite happy with the Apple DAWs, they do have their own terminology and layout. I found the Cakewalk DAW much more intuitive. If you have an Apple computer I would start with Garage Band since it is free, with the idea of upgrading to Logic Pro in the future.

Changing DAW requires learning new terminology and key commands.

I highly HIGHLY recommend doing the Music Production courses from Berklee College of Music on Coursera.org . https://www.coursera.org/speci...ons/music-production The approach is for you on your own equipment to learn how to set up the software (sampling rate, inputs, outputs, minimize latency, etc), how to flow the signal through the DAW, and how to get the best sounding results. I learned a ton from the course. And best of all it is FREE.

Thank you for the link Fly-sig!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
You will definitely want a good USB audio interface. There are a ton of choices. My advice is to avoid the lower price point units. The A/D converter is key to a good sound, so it is worth paying a bit more for a better unit. Read reviews and specs. In the $150 range you can get good stuff.

Same advice with microphones, avoid the cheaper stuff. $150+ will get you some pretty nice equipment. Generally, for music, avoid the mics with built in USB.

You can certainly spend a whole lot more than that, and there is really good quality equipment these days for home recording.

Posts: 9443 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post