SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Luggage... Hard or soft case?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Luggage... Hard or soft case? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Need some new luggage, mine is ancient and busted. Are the hard case type better or stay with soft, leather, etc.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So what do you think?

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
We went with the flexible hard side type. It has held up pretty good and it very light weight.

Posts: 1348 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had really good luck with the fabric cases. Heading for Alaska next week with them. Hope you have as good luck as we have!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Have both hard and soft sided options, and use them interchangeably for different trips. The only one that goes with me on every trip is my 21" hard sided, rolling, carry on.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My wife wanted new luggage for our upcoming trip to France. She decided on trying out a hard sided suitcase from Away. Should be arriving any day. Depending on how we like it, I'm going to buy one for myself. We decided on the hard sided case this time due to the numerous amounts of wine, champagne, and Scotch bottles we always return from France with. Won't have to worry about wrapping them up as much.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer soft side. The hard shells lack the extra zipper compartments on the out side.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The flexible hard side with zippers instead of latches has served me well over the last 5 years or so- I think it’s the best combination as it’s very lightweight and strong at the same time. They also seem to wear very well when side by side with soft side fabric cases.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Extremely happy with Travelpro luggage with spinners. Soft sides. Light and holds up to my use perfectly fine. We have carry ons and large sizes.

They are lightly framed and covered in heavy duty nylon material.

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I travel weekly and just got my first hard sided suitcase about 3 months ago, a samsonite. It already has a pretty large dent in one corner and another small one. I also don’t like that it is difficult to add things to the case without opening the whole thing. With a soft sided case I could just unzip the top and shove something in, this is much more difficult to do that with. The other day I brought a rifle with me that was too long to fit in the suitcase so I figured I could leave part of it sticking out the top of the suitcase but the case wouldn’t let me do that.

Finally I don’t like that when you open it, both sides open equally. So it’s virtually impossible to use a luggage stand in a hotel. I either have to lay it out on a bed or couch or the floor.

If I decide to get another hard sided case I’ll just buy a big pelican case. It will be a lot more durable and the way it opens will let it fit on a regular luggage stand.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I didn't think about just unzipping a part and shoving stuff in, I do that all the time.

Soft it is

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Extremely happy with Travelpro luggage with spinners. Soft sides. Light and holds up to my use perfectly fine. We have carry ons and large sizes.

They are lightly framed and covered in heavy duty nylon material.

That's what we have. We have two sets of 3, large and medium check in and carry on. They store neatly inside the next size.

The biggest difference to me is when you are trying to fit luggages in a vehicle like a taxi at the airport, the hard shell cases do not give and it's harder to make them fit.

What I like about the the traveller is that they are lightweight but are highly rated in being long lasting.

Not related to the topic, but I also suggest using a luggage strap for extra security and a contrasting color to your luggage to make identification easier on the carousel. I also tie a bright colored ID shoelace string.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bags get beat to hell and straps get caught/busted or rot with time/storage. Get was used most functional for you. We have a pelican air for flying to pistol matches and use soft cases for clothes.

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I used to get hard cases. But for the last 10 years, I've used soft cases (but rigid on the sides). I found that soft cases allow for give and the flexibility to put them into tight spots (ie - in overheads, on trains, in taxi's, etc) that may be more difficult for non-conforming hard shells.

I just get Kirkland branded suitcases now - they have held up pretty well for me.

But I just carry clothes (and maybe a bottle or two). If I carried lots of bottles or special things like pistol, I may get a hard case (Rimowa or something).

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Soft it is

Not advisable if traveling to many countries (& some US airports). My wife & I have had luggage slit open with a knife.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
Soft it is

Not advisable if traveling to many countries (& some US airports). My wife & I have had luggage slit open with a knife.

I can pick the lock on a hard or soft case just about as fast as I can use a key to get in it. I'm sure the thieves are faster than me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
My wife and I each have a set of Away that we just love. The main drawback as stated above is that there is no outside pockets on ours. Away has come out with a carry on that has a zippered outside pocket, but the color selection is limited.

So, as for this upcoming flight we have, when not carrying my computer case, I will take my old soft side carry on with several zippered pockets.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I go with the soft, more room, more pockets

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Pale Horse made some excellent points. I may rethink my earlier decision to try out a hard sided suitcase. I really like those Travelpros.

We'll see what my wife thinks of her new Away luggage once it arrives. I'm thinking it might actually not be big enough for her needs. The Soft sided bags seem to have a great deal more internal space.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the hard case with zipper.

I have gone with the 4 wheel spinner, it roles through the airports really easily.

there are about 10 brands that come out of the same factory in China.

You cannot tell the difference from my travel pro or sharper image.

I got the copper color so it is easy to spot on the belt.

I also like the ability to stack a second small case or backpack or briefcase on top as I role it.

I have a Samsonite spinner office case for my computers when traveling for longer business trips or my computer backpack for shorter ones.

The both can be slid over the handle of the carry on for rolling, then slide it off on the plane and put them in the overhead bin.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post