SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Allergy Tests...Voodoo?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Allergy Tests...Voodoo? Login/Join 
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Not voodoo. The tests are valid and the shots work well. After a month or two you should see improvement.

A lot can be done to lessen allergies as well. Air purifiers in the room, allergen free bedding items(bed bugs), get rid of the carpet and rugs in the room and go with laminate for ease of cleaning. Shower in the A.M. and before going to bed.

I waited too long to start shots and sinus polyps clogged my sinus cavities. It took three surgeries to get my sense of smell back.

Posts: 7740 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
non-voodoo.
For years, I'd get what the doctors diagnosed as sinusitis or bronchitis 2-3 times per year. They'd give me antibiotics, and it would go away.

One doctor, after seeing me for the 2nd time in 3 months with the same condition, finally suggested that I go get checked by an allergist.

The prick test, which is like 49 needles with different different allergens and a control allergen (where, if you don't react to it, there's other issues going on) is done, and afterwards, they found that besides the control allergen, the only other thing that I had a reaction to was for dust/dust mites.

I started immunotherapy, which DSgrouse detailed pretty well...I'm in year 4, and go once per month for an injection.

I have not had a sinus infection in the past 4 years since starting the immunotherapy treatments. I wish I had gone 20+ years ago, as I had semi-annual sinus infections/bronchitis for at least that long.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I thought it was snake oil when my wife went in and was tested. She was then given shots, and for the first time in 15 years of living here, we can now open windows in spring and fall. We can go camping more than once a year, she can mow the lawn... amazing results..

So dramatic, I decided I would try it... I can only relate that it has changed my life. I was used to living on sudaphed and benedryl, having sinus infections over and over. I took allergy meds, I did sinus rinses, I sprayed saline in my nose daily, just thought that was normal.

Been two years, a LOT of shots, and have at least two more years to go. I do NOT take sudaphed, benedryl or allergy meds at all now. I will occasionally take benedryl at night, 1x a week or two. I haven't had a sinus infection in over a year. I still have a slight runny nose after mowing, but it is short lived. I still feel some effects of allergies, but I would say I am easily 70-80% better.

I am allergic to trees, grasses, and molds, so I get 2 shots each time I go in.

In beginning, it was twice a week, then once a week, then once every 2 weeks, then once every three weeks, now I am up to once a month, and will stay this way for next couple years. The length of time you are on the shots varies... My wife started 7 months before me, but I passed her as I reacted better than she has. She has had some bumps. Big reactions to shots, but they drop dosage down and go again.

I am a believer, very happy I tried the snake oil. ;-)

Doug

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
If you sign up for the shots, learn to give them yourself to save time and money. They are just little pricks (the shots, not the tech)

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
If you sign up for the shots, learn to give them yourself to save time and money. They are just little pricks (the shots, not the tech)

I went in to anaphylacsis from an allergy shot. They make you wait 30 minutes at the doctors office to check for reaction. Mine happened after 35 minutes.

I was driving away when my head got really hot and felt like it was going to explode. I turned around and went back in to the doctors office. When the nurse saw me she went Oh my God!

My face was purple and my throat was closing up. My hands went numb. My eyes were swollen and so watery I couldn't see.

They hit me with 2 epipens, a large antihistamine shot, and a steroid shot.

I had to sit with a nurse for 2 hours until I got back to normal. They were ready to cut my trachea in case my throat closed up. Blood pressure cuff was one of those automatics that took it every 2 minutes or so.

I've had multiple injuries/surgeries but that was the most scared I have ever been.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
What cured me is beekeeping. My entire life I've been plagued by seasonal allergies such as hay fever. Cutting grass made me ill. Had to wear a mask, etc. Every Fall I'd be sick. When I travelled I would get better! Well, for two years I'vee been beekeeping as a hobbyist and I've been cured. The honey is a real bonus.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post