SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun question on medical history, how to answer?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun question on medical history, how to answer? Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Fill out the form anyway you chose. You're not under oath.

This is the crux of the matter. Since there is nothing to be lost, I would just give them the answer they want - "No guns in my house. Guns are evil - they kill innocent people." You and I know that's crazy, but feelings rule the day so give 'em the good feelz.

* If you indicate that there are no guns in your home, then you will slide under the radar
* If you indicate that there are guns in your home, that information will go into their database
* If you write "n/a" or leave the answer blank, it will be assumed that you have guns in your home and that info will go into their database

This message has been edited. Last edited by: synthplayer,

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
I always put N/A; because that information is not applicable to my medical care. It ain’t lyin’, and it ain’t sayin’ shit.

I agree.

If the question is: "Gun Ownership - If you have a gun at home, is it properly secured?" Multiple choice answers are Yes/No/Not Applicable.

Not Applicable would be my choice.
It could mean anything you want it to mean. Wink

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
To be clear, it is NOT a requirement in 2018 for this to be on the forms. It is a choice that the owner(s) of each practice makes. The more corporate ownership there is the greater the potential odds of the question being asked.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Never see that question from any doctor I have ever been to, but if I did then I would not answer it. That is none of their busand has nothing to do with your health.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never see that question from any doctor I have ever been to, but if I did then I would not answer it. That is none of their busand has nothing to do with your health.

This started popping up a few years back. My physician is is anything but anti gun told me it started under Obamacare and was required by anyone who files under Medicare. Without him submitting the forms, the insurance would not pay the billing submitted. He could care less how I answered.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I guess I could lie if I'm asked, but my doc would know its BS. Especially during physicals when I have to disrobe and I always lay my P226 and holster on his computer stand.........

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
You could answer that there are dozens and dozens of guns, each loaded with super high capacity drum magazine of Black Fang hollow point bullets, a round in the chamber, hair trigger on the bump stock, just sitting about your house waiting for their leader's signal to rise up in open revolt against you and your damned cat, and that you didn't know who to confide in you are so terrified, so Doc, thanks for the opening to discuss this matter.

I kinda wonder what the doctor's response would be to somebody going on off like that.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I always put N/A; because that information is not applicable to my medical care. It ain’t lyin’, and it ain’t sayin’ shit.

I agree.

If the question is: "Gun Ownership - If you have a gun at home, is it properly secured?" Multiple choice answers are Yes/No/Not Applicable.

I guess I would interpret the answers as follows:
Yes - I have one or more guns at home and it is/they are properly secured.
No - I have one or more guns at home and it is not / they are not properly secured.
N/A - This question is not applicable because I have no guns at home (either that or because it is none of your [expletive deleted] business).

N/A clearly seems the appropriate answer.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

This started popping up a few years back. My physician is is anything but anti gun told me it started under Obamacare and was required by anyone who files under Medicare. Without him submitting the forms, the insurance would not pay the billing submitted. He could care less how I answered.

Your doctor is lying. What else is he lying about?

Posts: 520 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It is not required. Your doctor should know better. Medicare filing has nothing to do with this question. Obamacare to my knowledge is not applicable as well.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I kinda wonder what the doctor's response would be to somebody going on off like that.

Mental health consult. Doctors hear all kinds of shit, believe me.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any invalid or illegal question (read "stupid") dictates a equally invalid ("stupid") response regardless of if it is on a medical form, job application or rental agreement. Example...if a woman is asked if she is planning to become pregnant on a job application. That question is downright illegal. As the person completing the form you have to make a decision 1) do I even want to be here??? If "No" then leave. 2) I need the job, medical attention, etc so I will complete the form. However, since the question is illegal or invalid any answer is OK. My strategy when in this circumstance is to go the path that will get the least amount of attention. I don't want the reader or user to pause and look at me in more detail. So in this case I would just put N/A. If the question should come up I would deny even owning a firearm since I don't know what their "agenda" is. I do not need the answer to this question to haunt me later.

T-Boy

Posts: 499 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: September 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Several years back we went to a new family doctor that had a similar question on the new patient forms. I left it blank but when I met with the doctor I told him it was none of his business and that we would Not be coming back because of it.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Skip over it.
And what do you do when they ask you about the field you left blank? Not all offices would. Most probably would not, but I say with great confidence that some offices would press the issue. What then?

While I have not run into the question (yet) I will answer the question by lying and saying no guns. The same answer I would give anyone I don't consider a close friend if they asked me the same question.

Leaving it blank or making it an issue is the same as saying yes and you should assume that the staff will enter it in the computer as a yes. The offices who are not anti guns will not care that you lied about it if they notice.

People talk about being the gray man but they have a problem telling an inconsequential lie to protect their privacy.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
"Does a bear shit in the woods?" is always a good response.

I haven't seen the question asked around here as it would be pointless. Nearly every single home has "unsecured" firearms in it.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I leave a few things blank on these forms.

For example, I never give my SSN.

Like para, I have never permitted them to take my photo.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I would leave it blank as it has nothing to do with my medical history. If they ask me to answer it, I would ask them to define how that question relates to my past or current medical history and if they also need to know the color of the carpet in my living room or how many pairs of shoes do I own.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I leave a few things blank on these forms.

For example, I never give my SSN.

Like para, I have never permitted them to take my photo.

Or the latest rage, scanning my driver's license. Nope, not happening, just like no photos, SSN, names of relatives, etc

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

I agree.

I guess I would interpret the answers as follows:
Yes - I have one or more guns at home and it is/they are properly secured.
No - I have one or more guns at home and it is not / they are not properly secured.
N/A - This question is not applicable because I have no guns at home (either that or because it is none of your [expletive deleted] business).

N/A clearly seems the appropriate answer.
Well, I have guns at home and some of them are not "properly secured"; however, I live alone and never have any young visitors (or very many adult ones), so the securing issue is of no importance. I believe I'd just leave the question blank, were I asked it (my doctor does not ask, and I do receive Medicare/TFL).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
Fill out the form anyway you chose. You're not under oath.

Perhaps the only reasonable, sensible answer in this entire thread.

Agreed.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post