SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo Announces 'Disaster Emergency' and 'Border War' on Gun Violence
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo Announces 'Disaster Emergency' and 'Border War' on Gun Violence Login/Join 
posted
Cuomo is admitting in sum and substance that the NYS gun violence is a hyper local phenomenon largely affecting and being effected by minority communities. His Power-point presentation asserted that victims of gun violence are 77% non-white.
This is not overly politically correct.

He further flaunted his great Covid successes, and he promised to apply the same to the "gun epidemic."

https://www.businessinsider.co...ecutive-order-2021-7

In an announcement before gun control advocacy groups and clergy leaders on Tuesday, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced a series of executive orders and legislative priorities to reduce gun violence.

Cuomo did not take questions at the event and was light on specifics for much of his PowerPoint presentation. His announcement comes after at least 140 people died in shootings across the United States over the Fourth of July holiday weekend.

Major components of the Cuomo executive orders include:

Declaring a state of emergency that frees up state agencies to spend money more quickly on gun-related programs.
Requiring police departments, including the NYPD, to collect more detailed incident data when responding to shootings.
Forming a New York State Police "special unit" to target gun trafficking, coordinating with New Jersey, Connecticut, and Pennsylvania to share data on traffic stops.
Ending immunity for gun manufacturers, an exemption created by the Bush administration in the 2005 Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. Cuomo said he will sign a bill later in the day reinstating public nuisance liability for gun manufacturers.
Banning people with active warrants from buying guns by signing a bill already passed by the NY Assembly and Senate.
Creating a state partnership with the John Jay College of Criminal Justice to share "best practices" with local police departments on preventing gun violence.
Directing the State Division of Criminal Justice Services to issue new regulations preventing police officers with misconduct records from getting jobs at other departments in the state.
Investing $138.7 million to community gun violence prevention efforts.

Cuomo showed statistics on how shootings are up 38% in the first six months of 2021 compared to 2020, warning that a fear of violence is keeping the business community from bringing more workers back to the office in the Big Apple. The governor's presentation contradicted New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio's from earlier in the day, where the mayor cautioned against "fear mongering" and showed NYPD data on shootings being down 20% in June 2021 compared to June 2020.

The executive orders are part of a "disaster emergency" declaration, Cuomo said, touting New York as the first state in the nation to do so.

Cuomo also said he will wage a "border war" to stop the flow of illegal guns into New York from "the South."

"We announced today a border war, and the border war is we're going to stop guns coming in through our borders and into our cities," he said. "We know where they're coming from. They're coming from the South, and we're going to declare a border war to stop it."

The governor also joked that he would build a wall on the state border with his name on it, apparently mocking former President Donald Trump whose hardline stance on immigration involved a still-incomplete wall along the US-Mexico border.

It's been less than two weeks since Cuomo announced the end of his COVID-19 state of emergency, where the legislature granted him wide-reaching executive powers to respond to the coronavirus pandemic.

Cuomo is still facing an impeachment investigation on top of multiple other scandals, and has resumed in-person fundraising events for a still-to-be-announced 2022 re-election campaign.

Posts: 387 | Location: NYC | Registered: October 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Three more years and I'm out. Sooner if he comes for my guns.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The stupid is oh so strong in this one. And forgive me, but why is this POS still holding the governor's job given the sexual assault complaints, and the horrible Covid decisions he made?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How very dramatic. I'm unimpressed.

Posts: 107238 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Remind me how he and/or NY state can end the immunity provided by the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms act, an act of the US Congress....

Nevermind. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
So if he's going to apply his spectacularly successful approach with COVID to gun violence, can we expect shootings to increase in nursing homes? Roll Eyes

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16485 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Remind me how he and/or NY state can end the immunity provided by the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms act, an act of the US Congress....

Nevermind. Roll Eyes

Rhetorical I know, but...

They are revealing the game now.

First you had Lightfoot in Chicago declare 'racism' a pandemic so she could swipe Covid funds and distribute to her cronies.

Now you have Cuomo declaring 'gun violence' Roll Eyes a pandemic so he can do all these theatrics, but you see toward the end 'investing' $138.7 million in 'community gun violence prevention efforts'. Translated, this means a slush fund for cronies.

They saw how easy it was to bypass all controls during the pandemic, so now every pet project is going to be declared a pandemic and all rules get thrown out. The court cases should be interesting.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:

The same way that he can build a wall between New York and "the South".
quote:
Nevermind. Roll Eyes

Exactly.

Helpful hint - a lot of Dems seem to be saying Cuomo looks vulnerable in the next election.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
He's trying to find creative ways to keep his "emergency powers" so he can continue to rule like a king. Not the first time he's declared guns a state emergency to ram gun laws home. Looks like he just want to skip the pretend democracy part of NY law making and just rule.

Posts: 21046 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Can he go through the democratic process or is he still toxic after there were all those dead in the nursing homes and after all that "MeToo" stuff he's going through?

One way or another he's gotta look "Presidential" or spend the rest of his life doing a radio show - if that.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

Nevermind. Roll Eyes

Rhetorical I know, but...

They are revealing the game now.

First you had Lightfoot in Chicago declare 'racism' a pandemic so she could swipe Covid funds and distribute to her cronies.

Now you have Cuomo declaring 'gun violence' Roll Eyes a pandemic so he can do all these theatrics, but you see toward the end 'investing' $138.7 million in 'community gun violence prevention efforts'. Translated, this means a slush fund for cronies.

They saw how easy it was to bypass all controls during the pandemic, so now every pet project is going to be declared a pandemic and all rules get thrown out. The court cases should be interesting.
I think you're right on part of this (the looting of money for special interests), but I think there's more significant aspects of it than that. This BS gives Cuomo more cover (a diversion if you will) for all the other crap that's he's been accused off. Additionally, I think Cuomo, Lightweight, and a number of other Dem governors are trying to set the stage for pushing the need for the federal government to get involved in this 'tragedy of violence' by either outright repealing or significantly modifying the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. That's the game changer for this filth. If they can repeal that law or open a big hole in it whereby all of their special interest legal groups can go to work bankrupting the firearms industry as a whole, they win. With millions of brand new gun owners joining the group this past year, and violence and chaos rising, I think the Dem's in Washington know a frontal attack on gunowner rights is a loser for them, so their best option is to go behind the curtain to try and destroy the industry as a whole. I think this has been their plan all along.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
If stupid were money, that fucking idiot could buy God.

Posts: 13732 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Dang it! Waterbury Bob beat me to it.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Why the fuck any firearm manufacturer (e.g. Dan Wesson) is still in New York, let alone any Commie state, is beyond me.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Unless I miss my bet, he is in self destruct mode, those are death cries of his fading political career. His ego will not allow him to STFU. Left unchecked he will auger into the ground. We can only hope to minimize the damage before he does.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4357 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by werzjon229:

He further flaunted his great Covid successes, and he promised to apply the same to the "gun epidemic."

So he's going to kill the elderly?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The rest of us would be OK with a wall between NYC, and US…. Just let us know when we can start the repatriations.

Posts: 5705 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Why the fuck any firearm manufacturer (e.g. Dan Wesson) is still in New York, let alone any Commie state, is beyond me.

I chalk it up to lethargy and self-delusion.

Posts: 14998 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I'll support his border wall, as long as the guards are on the outside and the searchlights and sensors are facing inward.

We'll need to sort out the Exit Visa requirements, but this could have potential...

Posts: 2450 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:

I chalk it up to lethargy and self-delusion.

Still a few in MA and CT too - not much different.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post