SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I invented a Mexican dish!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I invented a Mexican dish! Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Most Saturdays I go to Carmen’s Mexican Food to pick up lunch (take-out only nowadays). Most often I’d order the crispy shell carnitas or chicken taco combo.

But a few weeks ago I realized that I’d never tried their burritos, so I ordered a carnitas burrito combo. The burrito includes guacamole, cheese, and pico. It was good, but wrapped in a huge wheat flour tortilla, and I much prefer corn tortillas.

So the next week I asked Carlos to make a carnitas burrito with corn tortillas. Their corn tortillas are much smaller than the wheat tortillas that they use for burritos, so Carlos made, in effect, two soft shell carnitas tacos, each absolutely stuffed with excellent carnitas, plus guac, cheese, and pico.

It was sooo good – the best thing I’ve ever had at Carmen’s. And I invented it! I’ve ordered that combo every week since.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man that sounds great. I am not sure which type of food I like more- Spanish/Mexican or Italian but with posts like this, more so the Spanish/Mexican.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Or...you could fry up the rolled and filled tortilla, maybe call it a tostada?

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Wait, are you Mexican? Because if you’re not, you invented a Pipe Smoker dish. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Sounds like cultural appropriation to me. You are hereby canceled and banished.

Soros is scheduling your rioters and brick delivery now, stand by for further outrage.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I think you're thinking of flautas... tostadas are like whole tortillas turned into nachos.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In general I prefer corn tortillas to flour versions.
They are smaller and they are more fragile but I like the taste much better.
It is hard to use them in larger dishes like burritos and quesadillas, etc.
So I know what you mean, congrats, sounds delicious.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:

I think you're thinking of flautas... tostadas are like whole tortillas turned into nachos.

Carmen’s offers crispy rolled chicken/carnitas taco combos. Three of ‘em with guacamole, plus rice, and beans.

And also a flautas combo, which is identical, except wheat tortillas instead of corn.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Put a burrito and a quesadilla in a bowl. Stir until mixed good. Add a bit of water. Stir some more.

You just made a quesarito or a burrodilla.

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
For about 20 years now I have mail ordered 25 lbs. of fresh New Mexico chiles (Big Jim, Joe Parker, etc.) each year from growers in S. New Mexico. I roast them myself, and then peel and tear into strips (I try to save out a few that I just peel and de-seed for Chiles Relleno). Then I freeze these in about half- to full-pound packages that I use for green chile to make enchiladas year around. I make the rolled up tortillas baked in sauce rather than the flat on a plate variety. This thread has encouraged me to go freezer diving for Easter dinner. Thank you all.

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Ooh, I'm ready for Taco Town.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
"Why does all Mexican food look all the same, pretty much just sick, with cheese."

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
"Why does all Mexican food look all the same, pretty much just sick, with cheese."
I am very happy that I don't have your imagination.

Imagine what you must think of frioles refritos!

posted Hide Post
TACO TOWN! That's hilarious!

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For the photo-or-it-didn’t-happen folks. There’s LOTS of excellent carnitas in those tortillas! And plenty of guacamole and cheese too. Combos at Carmen’s Mexican Food come with rice+beans by default, but I always order beans+beans.

Serious about crackers

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
So let me get this straight?

YOU invented Pork Carnitas Tacos?

GTFO Smile

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pipesmoker- I wish I had access to good Mexican food here in my corner of SE Michigan!!! So, I use large whole wheat flour tortillas made by Mission Foods out of San Diego to make homemade chicken burritos. And I also need to find an authentic recipe for the beans and rice they serve in Mexican restaurants I have visited in California.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I absolutely love Mexican food. We lived a year in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico early in our retirement and never enjoyed eating in restaurants as much in our lives. I'm salivating.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

GTFO Smile
I was hoping for pictures and looking forward to see something worth eating.
It looks like a dog poop next to a pile of Spaghetti.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billythekids:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

GTFO Smile
I was hoping for pictures and looking forward to see something worth eating.
It looks like a dog poop next to a pile of Spaghetti.

You need to schedule a visit to your ophthalmologist.

Serious about crackers