SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The safest cities in the world
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The safest cities in the world Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Haaaaa! That's awesome.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15527 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They seem to weight things differently than I might. I'd believe Tokyo is generally a safe place to be, and the top 10 or 15 seems like they are generally reasonable choices. After that, not as much. Karachi? Over Houston? I'd walk naked through the worst neighborhood in Houston before I'd go much anywhere in Karachi. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but . . .

That's all I needed to see. HA!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
What a joke.

Posts: 2052 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
L.A. and Chicago......

Apparently personal security doesn't carry much weight.

I wonder how much we paid to get on that list...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8506 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about the extra-national cities on that list, but I would guess that the population of those cities plays a role. In particular, they do so in the form of rates and crime rates. In other words, crime per unit capita which would be an indicator of how dangerous a city is.

Here's a list of some of the U.S. cities with the highest murder rates, with their corresponding murder counts (from the FBI - Uniform Crime Report). You can see that while Chicago has the highest number of murders in that list, it ranks pretty low, because of it's murder rate. It's the large population there that washes out the high number of murders. In comparison, you can look at smaller cities like Monroe, LA and Savannah, GA, with far higher murder rates, but a much lower casualty count.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-t...-2015/tables/table-6

Detroit:
	murders: 339
	murder rate: 19.3 

New Orleans:
	murders: 204
	murder rate: 16.3

Monroe, LA: 
	murders: 27
	murder rate: 15.1

Savannah, GA:
	murders: 57
	murder rate: 15.0

Philadelphia, PA:  
	murders: 316
	murder rate: 14.8

Salinas, CA:
	murders: 40
	murder rate: 13.8

Baltimore: 
	murders: 367
	murder rate: 13.1 

Pine Bluff, AR 
	murders: 12
	murder rate: 12.8

Gary, IN: 
	murders: 82
	murder rate: 11.9

Memphis: 
	murders: 152
	murder rate: 11.5

Baton Rouge:
	murders: 92
	murder rate: 11.1

St. Louis, MO: 
	murders: 294
	murder rate: 10.5

Chicago:
	murders: 561
	murder rate: 7.7 

Washington, DC; Arlington, Alexandria, VA: 
	murders: 291
	murder rate: 6.0

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It one thing to look at the stats and numbers for murders in our cities. The real story lies in the stats and numbers for felonious and or aggravated assault.
If you die as a result of a criminal act, it is reported as murder.
If you live, its aggravated assault which gets much less attention.
One of the reasons aggravated / felonious assaults have drastically increased is our hospitals have gotten really good at treating GSW victims!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16364 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
Rio? I lived in that hellhole of a country for three decades, and there is no way Rio is on the top 40 safest cities in the world. That research is c___.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Karachi, Mexico City, and Jo'burg are all on the list? Stop. Just... stop.

I received "danger pay" the last time I set foot in Karachi. It was only 30% then. It's 35% now. For perspective, Beirut-- when the smoking ruins of the power plant overlooking the city (Israel had just sent a RocketGram a week or so earlier) were still visible from the airport-- only got me 20%.

Mexico City and Johannesburg are both cesspools, and that's before ANY commentary on the U.S. wastelands on the list.

Posts: 2516 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old of a Cat,
to be licked by a Kitten
Picture of Klusk2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
L.A. and Chicago......

Apparently personal security doesn't carry much weight.

I wonder how much we paid to get on that list...

Probably used the soda tax money Roll Eyes

The Working Police.....
"We the willing, led by the unknown, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful."

Posts: 2515 | Location: "Mag"azine Mile | Registered: February 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post