SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When did finding a job become such a job?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did finding a job become such a job? Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Big Grin

When did this networking thing become mandatory to finding work? Now you have to look on LinkedIn and send someone a message for a informational interview or connect with someone who can refer you in.

What happened to the days when you applied and they hired the best fit? Or am I mistaken and it was never really that simple?

Long story short, I'm employed but not happy for a variety of reasons at my current place. Finish my MBA next month and I need to make some moves if we are going to realize our dream of home ownership.

Posts: 13120 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Finding a job became stupidly difficult when the staffs in 'Human' Resources (which at this point has virtually no human interaction at all) almost completely automated the screening/pre-interview processes, and in so doing, completely lost any grasp of how to do their jobs. One HR person my wife knows told me their online processing (i.e. culling) system for resumes was well know to discard resumes for formatting it couldn't read (i.e. lines, underscores, italicizing, etc), lack of key buzzwords, and/or indications of too many skills (i.e. applicant was BS'ing). She noted hundreds of qualified (and in some cases, excellent) candidates never even got a second look, interview, etc because the automated system shit-canned their resume right from the start. Absolutely great approach, huh.

IMO the biggest waste of money in current companies is their HR Dept and its staff. They're are all but utterly worthless at this point.

Wish I had better advice for you, but the current system sucks.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
IMO the biggest waste of money in current companies is their HR Dept and its staff. They're are all but utterly worthless at this point.

They aren't worthless, they are worse. They are a bane on business and efficiency. They are a virus, digging in and growing and perpetuating themselves.

I wish you luck

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I've met a few HR people who started out in temp job services. You would be surprised to find some of the BS and useless tactics they carry into their new positions.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Big Grin

When did this networking thing become mandatory to finding work? Now you have to look on LinkedIn and send someone a message for a informational interview or connect with someone who can refer you in.

What happened to the days when you applied and they hired the best fit? Or am I mistaken and it was never really that simple?

Long story short, I'm employed but not happy for a variety of reasons at my current place. Finish my MBA next month and I need to make some moves if we are going to realize our dream of home ownership.
Hey networking can be a great tool in finding new employment. I mean at the most unexpected time and place. People have shared information that can lead you right to a employer who would be pleased to take you on board.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Big Grin

Hey networking can be a great tool in finding new employment. I mean at the most unexpected time and place. People have shared information that can lead you right to a employer who would be pleased to take you on board.

My situation is different as I own and run my own business and have had this business since 2003. But ALL of my business since 2004, has come from networking. I've never once advertised (nor had to) and in the past 10 years, give away at least as much business as I take. Don't discredit networking, as honestly it's probably number 1 in finding work.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
In the last five years I have gotten two jobs that were created for me by people I met at trade shows or through connections. I'm done with that whole thing now and work for myself, 1099, 100% commission. I hope to never deal with another W2 job again.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Whining and complaining are for snowflakes. Get off your butt and do the hard work, if you want nice things. Razz

Q

Posts: 26416 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the online application process:
Fill out application.
Submit.
Then..... Nothing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In answer to the original question.

When the human was taken out of Human Resources and replaced with the crazed "Certification" of everything. Hell, even the little bastards in HR now have to be HR Certified. What shit.

Awake not woke

Posts: 568 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

Then..... Nothing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I'm retiring soon after a ~28 year L.E. career. 17 years' experience as chief, masters degree, FBINA graduate, etc. I've applied for numerous corporate security and related jobs via Glassdoor, Indeed, and Linkedin. I didn't expect all sorts of offer, but I did think I would at least get a couple of calls for interviews. So far it's been mostly crickets with only a couple of employers sending me rejection notices.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best advice would be to look for a professional “resume writer”. It is money well spent to have someone not only articulate how qualified you are but to also know which phrases to add to the resume so it will pass through all electronic filters.
When I had mine done it was also reduced to one page instead of 3.
No one seems to want to know too much detail any longer.
I paid $350 to have it done right and it worked.

Posts: 266 | Registered: June 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interviews are the worst. I had one asshat ask me, "If you were an animal, which would you be and why?" I told him he was a moron and walked. Many years ago I applied as a cop in a Northern CA city. I made it to the interview, but had a flat on a bridge on the way. I showed up with dirty hands, just on time. The hard ass desk jockey cop tried to chew my ass and turned me away.

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Don’t look for a job, look for a company.
By pass HR.
Ask EVERYONE you meet what they do, what company they work for and if and why they like the company. Research that company and the industry then send the CEO a personal note telling him what interests you about his company and what the employee said without naming them. In the very briefest of terms using action verbs, mention 4 or 5 of any of your accomplishments that might interest him. Include your phone number and don’t ignore any phone call thinking it’s a telemarketer. He just might want to meet someone who shows that kind of initiative.
It’s easier to be moving with a purpose than it is to wait and hope for something to happen. Good luck.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Don’t look for a job, look for a company.
By pass HR.
Ask EVERYONE you meet what they do, what company they work for and if and why they like the company. Research that company and the industry then send the CEO a personal note telling him what interests you about his company and what the employee said without naming them. In the very briefest of terms using action verbs, mention 4 or 5 of any of your accomplishments that might interest him. Include your phone number and don’t ignore any phone call thinking it’s a telemarketer. He just might want to meet someone who shows that kind of initiative.
It’s easier to be moving with a purpose than it is to wait and hope for something to happen. Good luck.

At my company that would just get deleted so fast he wouldn't even know it was there. And even if he did read it, any resume not submitted to HR directly is disqualified, even if they did like you. Another wonderful HR rule...

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe you need to look for a different kind of company or job that is smaller right now with higher growth potential.
Take the blinders off.

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
quote:

They aren't worthless, they are worse. They are a bane on business and efficiency. They are a virus, digging in and growing and perpetuating themselves.

I wish you luck

I have to agree. They're usually over-staffed and they love to justify their existence with more and more bureaucracy.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I've gotten several interviews by finding someone on LinkedIn who worked where I wanted to apply, and asking them to help me out. Some have been super helpful. And I've done it for a few people who have asked me. Some folks are willing to do it because they may get a referral bonus and some just want to pay it forward.

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Maybe you need to look for a different kind of company or job that is smaller right now with higher growth potential.
Take the blinders off.

Bngo! Smaiier companies offer a chance to wear many hats and learn more. Plus, the CEO is more likely to open his personal mail. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Ha! I’d rather drag my balls across hot coals then go through the job search interview process.

I got laid off from a Pharma sales position 2 years ago and took a shitty inside sales job selling tubing at an abysmal company just to to survive...I lived my own personal hell that year. But did it because we just bought a house and had a baby.

At first, I tried hard at that job...then I quickly realized what I got myself into, it was a dead end and I straight up despised going to work everyday.

For the next 9 months, I’d go in, sit in my dreary cubicle, do minimal work, and apply for jobs for about 7 hours a day...

I was almost resigned to my fate at this horrid company, when one day, I was called in to the office and sitting next to the HR person was a stack of paper almost 8 inches high. They were all my resumes and applications I sent out!

The good news is that they caught on and fired me. The better news is that the next day, I got hired at my dream company doing medical device sales.

I sent out about 400 resumes (probably more), I got about 1 interview for every 60-70 I sent out.

Unless you have a degree in engineering or a medical field, Job searching is a hard and frustrating thing anymore. My advice is to network like you’re future depends on it and make sure your resume is on point.

One thing that made a difference is resume format. I had a two pager with everything in it...as I got more frustrated, I kept adding shit to it.

One day, I dropped it to a page with only two bucket points per position...soon after, I got 4 job offers in a week.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post