SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Do You Like for HD Streaming Music
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do You Like for HD Streaming Music Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
I was a subscriber to Tidal on several occasions but haven't used them in a few years

are there newer or better providers of analog quality music out there?

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apple Music. I can't believe I lived in a world where you couldn't listen to any song you wanted when you wanted.

Posts: 680 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
IF you are a Prime member you can use Prime Music at no additional charge, they do have an upgrade to it for a monthly fee to premium where you get unlimited skips, repeat etc, but you do have access to the full Prime Library with the base free membership

Pandora Free, don't subscribe so I have to deal with limited Skips and no repeat, plus commercials occasionally.

Posts: 23593 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I like Spotify, they did raise their monthly cost recently but it's still worth it, I looked at some alternatives to save a few bucks but this seems to be the best one IMO out there.

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What if you wanted to get exposed to similar artists? For example, if you like Stan Getz and wanted to hear music by him and music in the same style by other artists (who may not be known to you)?

I'd imagine if I wanted to hear Getz, either Apple or Prime would probably serve well. But how about finding similar artists for a particular sub-genre (like Cool Jazz)?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Qobuz - $13.77 a month. Best quality Hi rez, & I’ve heard it across several different platforms/ streamers/ systems.

Inevitably many discussions on services end up also including the catalog scope in the conversation. Almost no one carries everything and many of the larger catalogs come up short on fidelity or which master they’re sourced from.

Spotify has been threatening for years to go Hi rez, but they seem to more focused on algorithms than bandwidth.

I use both. Qobuz is streets ahead when listening critically.

Posts: 88 | Location: NEPA | Registered: February 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Newer? Hardly, they've been around practically since the dawn of the Internet, domain registered Sep. 1997. Of course I am referring to Radio Paradise. (Very) eclectic music mix, they now have several "channels" of curated playlists, no fee (other than voluntary), no commercials, not even disguised ones, and just a few pleas for support. Now that Bill's wife Rebecca has been kicked to the curb by their post-college-aged daughter Alanna, things appear to be moving a little to the left, but it is mostly apolitical.

Posts: 6514 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Qobuz for hi-Rez streaming

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
IF you are a Prime member you can use Prime Music at no additional charge, they do have an upgrade to it for a monthly fee to premium where you get unlimited skips, repeat etc,
<snip>

I have the yearly-fee Amazon Music, and prefer it for one excelent feature: “My Likes and More”. It’s a randomized playlist of songs that I’ve “Liked”, with others that Amazon thinks that I will like because they’re similar in some respect. Sometimes they’re correct and I have another song to add to the hundreds on my playlist.

I also have Apple Music. An even larger music library, but nothing similar to “My Likes and More”.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9008 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If you like jazz, both Apple's and Amazon's "stations" (more like a playlist) suck.

A few weeks back, I took an Uber to the airport for a business trip. The Uber driver's radio was streaming an excellent jazz playlist. It was Spotify and the driver had arrived at the same conclusion as me on Apple and Amazon.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23329 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
If you like jazz, both Apple's and Amazon's "stations" (more like a playlist) suck.

A few weeks back, I took an Uber to the airport for a business trip. The Uber driver's radio was streaming an excellent jazz playlist. It was Spotify and the driver had arrived at the same conclusion as me on Apple and Amazon.

I use both Apple Music and Spotify. Yes, I agree, Spotify has much better curated playlists than Apple for all genres of curated playlists.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6143 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks - will look into Spotify.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I use YouTube Music. It’s included with YouTube Premium. I’ve found a few things that I couldn’t get elsewhere because someone uploaded it. “Sink Your Teeth into That” by Talas is one that I didn’t see anywhere else.

Posts: 45402 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Qobuz is still my favorite, it is the best sounding and has a strong audiophile following.
Amazon Prime Music and Tidal are also decent but I hear a lot of audio guys like Qobuz the best, I do anyway.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I listen almost exclusively to classical music streaming. I still subscribe to Idagio for $15/month; but Primephonic was bought by Apple and is now Apple Classical.
Classical music compositions do not fit into the usual streaming "song" format; if you listen to entire classic works, you will find either Apple Classical or Idagio to be the bees' knees.

Apple Music (at least on my subscription) streams Apple Lossless, much higher resolution than CD. If you previously purchased music on iTunes, it will now be on Lossless.

Posts: 18094 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Thanks - will look into Spotify.

Spotify is not HD or Hi Rez playback.

It’s the MP3 equivalent of streaming services

I use it to discover new artists

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6238 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I get Apple Music free every month as a perk with my cellphone service (Verizon).

You may want to check your cell company for such offers.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2845 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:

Spotify is not HD or Hi Rez playback.

It’s the MP3 equivalent of streaming services

I use it to discover new artists

Good to know. Probably okay for me - I just want to find similar artists that I might like and then buy the CD.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
Re: “then buy the CD.“

I didn’t know that folks still bought CDs.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9008 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I prefer CD. Old fogey I guess. Besides, it's the only way to play music in my old cars.