SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bed Bath & Beyond’s CFO commits suicide
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bed Bath & Beyond’s CFO commits suicide Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
Bed Bath & Beyond’s CFO commits suicide after job cutsAvatarPublished 9 mins ago on September 4, 2022By BNO News
Gustavo Arnal, chief financial officer of Bed Bath & Beyond
Gustavo Arnal, the chief financial officer of Bed Bath & Beyond, has died by suicide after jumping from a skyscraper in New York City, officials confirmed on Sunday, just days after the firm announced job cuts and store closures.

The incident happened at 12:30 p.m. on Friday when Arnal, who was 52, jumped from the 18th floor of 56 Leonard Street, the location of a skyscraper known as the Jenga Tower, in Manhattan. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Arnal joined Bed Bath & Beyond in 2020 and served as the firm’s executive vice president and chief financial officer. He previously worked at cosmetics company Avon, the holding company that owns Walgreens and Boots, and Procter & Gamble.

Arnal’s death came just two days after the firm announced that it plans to cut its workforce by 20 percent and close approximately 150 low-performing stores as part of an overhaul to improve its financial position.

Arnal sold 55,013 shares in the company last month, according to Reuters.

Bed Bath & Beyond’s stock price has tumbled from a peak of nearly $80 in 2013 to less than $9 when markets closed on Friday. In recent months it also became known as a meme stock, causing fluctuations in its price.

Sorry forgot this:

https://bnonews.com/index.php/...cide-after-job-cuts/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
I live in a Semi-small town, and we have a BB&B. I stirred up a conversation on Friday in the nurses lounge by mentioning that they're gonna shut down a lot of the stores.

The worst happened at that moment, as if about 10 weddings had to be postponed because they were all register at BB&B! Where would they get presents and still be able to use a 20% off coupon???

Anyway, maybe Target will pick up the 20% slack if ours closes, avoiding a major run on xanax at the local CVS.

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Gustavo Arnal, the chief financial officer of Bed Bath & Beyond, has died by suicide after jumping from a skyscraper

Is he in the car?

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Link. All news items must be accompanied by a link.

The link should be provided by the OP. I can find the news item on my own, but that's not the point.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must be more to the jumper story than meets the eye. Dude may have lost 90% of his stock value over time, but still had about $6M worth which isn’t poverty level (yet).

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Must be more to the jumper story than meets the eye. Dude may have lost 90% of his stock value over time, but still had about $6M worth which isn’t poverty level (yet).

It's possible that he had been engaging in something like fudging numbers, embezzling money, insider trading, etc., and the house of cards was about to come tumbling down.

Or perhaps he was just mentally ill, or going through personal issues, and his suicide had nothing to do with the business' difficulties.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder what Bed Bath & Beyond was up to?

Arnal sold 55,013 shares in Bed Bath & Beyond in multiple transactions on Aug. 16-17, Reuters' calculations showed based on SEC filings. The sales amounted to about $1.4 million, and Arnal still had almost 255,400 shares remaining.

On Aug. 23, the company, Arnal and major shareholder Ryan Cohen were sued over accusations of artificially inflating the firm's stock price in a "pump and dump" scheme, with the lawsuit alleging Arnal sold off his shares at a higher price after the scheme.

The class action lawsuit listed Arnal as one of the defendants and was brought by a group of shareholders who claimed they lost around $1.2 billion.

Last week, Bed Bath & Beyond said it would close 150 stores, cut jobs and overhaul its merchandising strategy in an attempt to turn around its money-losing business.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...unges-134524108.html

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

There has been speculation that when he, as Chief Financial Officer, sold his shares, it was the start of others dumping their stock in BBB. Jelly mentioned Ryan Cohen; days after Arnal, Cohen dumped his entire holdings (12%) in BBB. Another investor, college student Jake Freeman, who owned 6% of BBB, sold out as well. Stock price tumbled, leading to store closures and layoffs.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16688 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Maybe if they still had My Pillow products in lineup could have soften his landing.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or perhaps he was just mentally ill, or going through personal issues, and his suicide had nothing to do with the business' difficulties.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Most people do not kill themselves due to failing businessses, particularly if they are not facing criminal charges. If so, we would have many fewer people in jail. Untreated depression is the likely cause.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Lots of 'speculation' here...And we still don't have link about the CFO's presumptive suicide!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8875 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
https://www.capradio.org/news/...y?storyid=1121068242

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Arnal sold 55,013 shares in Bed Bath & Beyond in multiple transactions on Aug. 16-17, Reuters' calculations showed based on SEC filings. The sales amounted to about $1.4 million, and Arnal still had almost 255,400 shares remaining.

On Aug. 23, the company, Arnal and major shareholder Ryan Cohen were sued over accusations of artificially inflating the firm's stock price in a "pump and dump" scheme, with the lawsuit alleging Arnal sold off his shares at a higher price after the scheme.

The class action lawsuit listed Arnal as one of the defendants and was brought by a group of shareholders who claimed they lost around $1.2 billion.

Even at $9/share, those 255,400 shares are worth nearly $2.3 million. Hope his family doesn't get to keep his dirty money.

quote:
Arnal would be remembered for his leadership abilities and talent.

"I am proud to have been his colleague, and he will be truly missed by all of us at Bed Bath & Beyond and everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him," Edelman said. "Our focus is on supporting his family and his team and our thoughts are with them during this sad and difficult time."

On Wednesday, Bed Bath & Beyond announced a plan to re-energize the company after a period of sinking sales and leadership changes. The New Jersey-based retailer said it would cut its workforce by 20% and shutter roughly 150 stores.

Remembered for his shitty leadership and talent? Obviously, if they're cutting 20% of their workforce and 150 stores, the dead guy wasn't very good at what he did. Ray Charles could've fucked it up just as equally and he's blind and dead.

Why do these C suite people keep fucking up and always find some place to land for another position to get paid millions upon millions of dollars?

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Why do these C suite people keep fucking up and always find some place to land for another position to get paid millions upon millions of dollars?

Same shit should be asked of the sports team coaches that keep getting fired then hired from teams to teams. And, same with news anchors.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
He left Bed, Bath, and Beyond for sidewalk, curb, and gutter.

At least he had concrete plans.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31432 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did he know Jeffrey Epstein?

Posts: 977 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

I see what you did there Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe Vladimir had shares in BB&B.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gravity will set you free

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Maybe got as many 20% off coupons in the mail as the rest of us?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post