SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need info: Continuous Glucose Monitoring device
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need info: Continuous Glucose Monitoring device Login/Join 
posted
Is anyone currently using one of these? I’m trying to find out a cost. Type 2 diabetic, no complications. Please post any links to relevant makers and costs if you have them. The articles I read online are a bit weasely regarding “costs”. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
continuos monitoring?? Never heard of such a thing....do you mean a glucometer that is used daily for a snapshot of current levels when sample is taken...usually once or twice a day depending on how fragile your levels fluctuate.

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
continuos monitoring?? Never heard of such a thing....do you mean a glucometer that is used daily for a snapshot of current levels when sample is taken...usually once or twice a day depending on how fragile your levels fluctuate.

There’s a sensor you stick on your arm (much like a nicotine patch) and it monitors your glucose levels every 5-15 minutes, 24/7/365. Apparently available via a doctors prescription.

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
There's a couple of these systems available. I use the Freestyle Libre from Abbott. It's really awesome. You attach a sensor onto your upper arm and pass the reader over it whenever you like to get a reading. The sensor takes a reading every five minutes and these are downloaded to the reader.

You can get more info from the link above. My endocrinologist was so impressed with the device that she used it on herself and she's not a diabetic. I cannot recommend it too strongly.

If you're paying cash, it's probably a little pricey. Medicare covers it and I suspect your insurance company probably will also, if you need it and qualify for it. A Type II with no complications may not - talk to your doc.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
For type 2 with no complications why do you even need to consider continuous monitoring?

That sounds like something needed for type 1 and perhaps on an insulin pump.

Full disclosure: I am not a doctor or any kind of healthcare person whatever.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:

There’s a sensor you stick on your arm (much like a nicotine patch) and it monitors your glucose levels every 5-15 minutes, 24/7/365. Apparently available via a doctors prescription.

interesting....haven’t seen one. thank you for the education.
I would imagine though that they could be problematic for some people...obsessed with watching every fluctuation and attempting to maintain a constant baseline of 80 to 120 would make some people crazy...The diabetics i’ve seen are typically doing finger sticks, some multiple times daily and using a sliding scale for their insulin doses

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
If you're a type I insulin dependent diabetic, you had best be obsessed with maintaining as near normal a blood glucose as you can. I'm almost always able to keep mine 60-140 mg/dl. It postpones the damage that this disease does to your body. I'd rather go on dialysis, have them sawing off my feet, going blind, being dead, etc., later rather than sooner.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
A guy I work with is trying out two of these devices. Sorry, I can't remember the brands he mentioned. One is on his arm, and is read with a dedicated hand-held reader, the other is on his stomach, and is read with his iPhone (via Bluetooth), the latter can be programmed to sound an alarm on out of range conditions. The one on his arm can get submerged, the other cannot get wet (he's a every day swimmer, and he covers it with plastic and tape when in the pool). He is both Type 1 (for over 50 years) and Type 2 (developed insulin resistance a few years ago) and was previously testing with finger sticks 12 times a day. He is very aware of and diligent about his management.

Both devices need to be reattached monthly, and embed a "nail" (his characterization) to read glucose levels. He doesn't know nail sizes, but it sounded like about the size of a 6d finishing nail. They measure "interstitial" glucose, not in the blood, but he said the readings he is getting are not different than when he was finger-sticking, and they always agree within a few percent.

I test twice a day, and I am not at all tempted to switch to this technology, but it certainly seems to have potential for those who have complicated management requirements, especially those who are at risk for severe low-sugar events.

Posts: 6456 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm a Type 1 and have been using a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) for several years now.

I'm using the Medtronic pump and sensor systems; first was the Enlite sensor, now I'm on the Guardian sensor.

Cost can vary A LOT and depends on your insurance. I get a 3 month supply (3 boxes) of sensors (the disposable part) for ~$150. The transmitter (the electronic piece you recharge and use for 1-2 years) was only about $50 with my insurance.

The Enlite sensor (no longer made) communicated directly with my insulin pump. I got a nice graph of my blood glucose level over time.

The Guardian sensor communicates via Bluetooth with the app on my iPhone. I still get a graph. It takes a reading every 5 minutes.

I LOVE having a live reading and a graph of my levels to spot trends. Both sensors still required several finger pricks a day for calibration. They are very accurate UNLESS: sensor has been in way too long (replace it!) or you are dehydrated (duh).

I have some videos below. A note on location: I often stick them on the sides of my thighs and have had a lot of good luck with that. I don't have enough fat on my arms to use that location.

A coworker of mine uses the Animus insulin pump and the Dexcom sensor system. She likes them.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I'm currently waiting on the insurance approval process for a new insulin pump & glucose monitoring system. I'm type 1, diagnosed 34 years ago.
My current pump is a Medtronic Paradigm 551, which is now out of warranty (everyone gets panicky when the pump is out of warranty Eek Roll Eyes .....).
I used the Enlite sensor, but I did not have a great experience with it.
My endocrinologist has recommended the Tandem T:Slim X2 pump along with the Dexcom G5 glucose monitoring system. She's been impressed with both the pump & the glucose monitoring system. One of her nurses (who was diagnosed with type 1 at 18 months old) told me that she has the T:Slim pump & the Dexcom CGM, and has been thoroughly impressed with both.
I don't yet know what the cost will be on the Dexcom or the pump, as the reps are checking with my insurance (I'm sure this explanation of benefits will prove to be amusing...).

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Get a Dexcom G6 continuous. Requires NO blood calibration. If it doesn't beep me I know I'm within the control limits I set. Different beeps tones and cadences tell me exactly what's going on. Updates your blood sugar graph every 5 minutes. You can't beat it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I'm a Type 1 and have been using a CGM (continuous glucose monitor) for several years now.

I'm using the Medtronic pump and sensor systems; first was the Enlite sensor, now I'm on the Guardian sensor.

Cost can vary A LOT and depends on your insurance. I get a 3 month supply (3 boxes) of sensors (the disposable part) for ~$150. The transmitter (the electronic piece you recharge and use for 1-2 years) was only about $50 with my insurance.

The Enlite sensor (no longer made) communicated directly with my insulin pump. I got a nice graph of my blood glucose level over time.

The Guardian sensor communicates via Bluetooth with the app on my iPhone. I still get a graph. It takes a reading every 5 minutes.

I LOVE having a live reading and a graph of my levels to spot trends. Both sensors still required several finger pricks a day for calibration. They are very accurate UNLESS: sensor has been in way too long (replace it!) or you are dehydrated (duh).

I have some videos below. A note on location: I often stick them on the sides of my thighs and have had a lot of good luck with that. I don't have enough fat on my arms to use that location.

A coworker of mine uses the Animus insulin pump and the Dexcom sensor system. She likes them.

Animas is no more... 15 yrs ago there were half a dozen pump options. Now only three. Omnipod, TSlim, and Medtronic. And really only two as TSlim and Medtronic are integrating CGM.

What pump are you on? As soon as you're able, move to the 670g with Guardian 3. Automode is a game changer.

I no longer experience Dawn Phenomenon, I can skip lunch without the BG spike. I've virtually eliminated HYPO. Had a colonoscopy in January, fasted all carbs for 36hrs, BG was rocksteady at 120 the ENTIRE FAST. I could never fast without a BG spike.

It's great to know your BG 24/7, but what is your pump doing with the info? Suspend before low is about it unless your on Medtronic 670g.

FYI, you can no longer take Tylenol with CGM.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
I'm currently waiting on the insurance approval process for a new insulin pump & glucose monitoring system. I'm type 1, diagnosed 34 years ago.
My current pump is a Medtronic Paradigm 551, which is now out of warranty (everyone gets panicky when the pump is out of warranty Eek Roll Eyes .....).
I used the Enlite sensor, but I did not have a great experience with it.
My endocrinologist has recommended the Tandem T:Slim X2 pump along with the Dexcom G5 glucose monitoring system. She's been impressed with both the pump & the glucose monitoring system. One of her nurses (who was diagnosed with type 1 at 18 months old) told me that she has the T:Slim pump & the Dexcom CGM, and has been thoroughly impressed with both.
I don't yet know what the cost will be on the Dexcom or the pump, as the reps are checking with my insurance (I'm sure this explanation of benefits will prove to be amusing...).

That 551 is archaic. I've had the 722, 723, 530g, 630g and now 670g since the 551.

I used the sofsensor (Gen 1 CGM) more affectionately know as "the harpoon."

The enlite (wasn't impressed either)

And now Gaurdian 3. This 3rd gen GCM from Medtronic is completely different.

Dexcom is more user friendly than Medtronic Guardian 3 but Tslim/Dex doesn't have automode like Medtronic 670g. Please consider the 670g. Pump administers micro bolus based upon sensor glucose numbers. Only Medtronic has this tech. A1C went from 8.1 to 6.9 in first 3 months and to 6.6 six months in. Virtually no Hypo.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Is anyone currently using one of these? I’m trying to find out a cost. Type 2 diabetic, no complications. Please post any links to relevant makers and costs if you have them. The articles I read online are a bit weasely regarding “costs”. Thanks in advance.

Since you're a T2D (non-insulin dependant?) I'd recommend the freestyle libre

Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
A guy I work with is trying out two of these devices. Sorry, I can't remember the brands he mentioned. One is on his arm, and is read with a dedicated hand-held reader, the other is on his stomach, and is read with his iPhone (via Bluetooth), the latter can be programmed to sound an alarm on out of range conditions. The one on his arm can get submerged, the other cannot get wet (he's a every day swimmer, and he covers it with plastic and tape when in the pool). He is both Type 1 (for over 50 years) and Type 2 (developed insulin resistance a few years ago) and was previously testing with finger sticks 12 times a day. He is very aware of and diligent about his management.

Both devices need to be reattached monthly, and embed a "nail" (his characterization) to read glucose levels. He doesn't know nail sizes, but it sounded like about the size of a 6d finishing nail. They measure "interstitial" glucose, not in the blood, but he said the readings he is getting are not different than when he was finger-sticking, and they always agree within a few percent.

I test twice a day, and I am not at all tempted to switch to this technology, but it certainly seems to have potential for those who have complicated management requirements, especially those who are at risk for severe low-sugar events.

I appreciate your input but there's a bit of misinformation here through no fault of your own.

You are EITHER T1D or T2D, not both. T1D is an autoimmune disease whereby your immune system attacks the islet insulin producing cells of your pancreas rendering it a hood ornament.

T2D is a disease where your pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin and/or your endocrine system can't properly metabolize glucose via insulin. There are various contributing factors for this. Often T2D can regulate BG with Diet, exercise and oral medications. Sometimes these treatments are augmented with insulin injections. MDI (multiple daily injections)

Insulin resistance can be attributed to to T1D and T2D over time.

The inserted sensor is painless as the insertion needle is quite fine. Much finer than a sewing needle. No where near the size of a six penny finishing nail.

The Libre is good for 10days. The Medtronic Guardian 3 is 7 days. Dex may be 7 or 10. Cannot remember the latest G6 figures.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
For type 2 with no complications why do you even need to consider continuous monitoring?

That sounds like something needed for type 1 and perhaps on an insulin pump.

Full disclosure: I am not a doctor or any kind of healthcare person whatever.

Well, for one reason it would beat hell out of sticking yourself in the finger with a needle to get blood samples for testing with a meter.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've considered it, but I really don't think it's needed if you are fairly well controlled and having no symptoms of damage. You can do finger stick A1c tests fairly cheaply, even Wal-Mart sells these kits. This will give you a better long term picture if you use it monthly. If you're fingers are getting sore, I recommend lanolin breast ointment from the maternity section of a drugstore. There is a side effect, however-you may want to suck on your fingers Big Grin.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm curious why they don't come out with a Port-a-cath type device that bluetooths to your phone or some other reader. Continuous blood reading with nothing external to be concerned with. It would seem like the best of both worlds.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info gents! This certainly helps!

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Get a Dexcom G6 continuous. Requires NO blood calibration. If it doesn't beep me I know I'm within the control limits I set. Different beeps tones and cadences tell me exactly what's going on. Updates your blood sugar graph every 5 minutes. You can't beat it.

This! I have been using the Dexcom system for years as a type 1. I'm single and live alone. With the Dexcom I can set high and low blood sugar level alarms. The alarms are loud enough to wake me during the night in case of dangerous low blood sugar levels. In my case the Dexcom is a life saver.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post