SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "This is "Frida", she has saved 52 people so far in Mexico's Earthquake"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"This is "Frida", she has saved 52 people so far in Mexico's Earthquake" Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

https://twitter.com/FluffSocie...s/910896407418228736

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have always believed dogs were gifts from God...this just reinforces that belief Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I have always believed dogs were gifts from God...this just reinforces that belief Smile

Agreed!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
A friend has Freya, an underweight female Maligator who flunked bomb dog school (a wise move if you ask me; EOD are crazies - go up to a bomb and fuck with it Eek).

They are looking for another school for Freya, but having failed out once, few want to invest the time in training her.

I wonder if I could train her to find people?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
It's nice to see some effort made to protect the dogs while they work. If only there's a way to keep the dust and other nasty particles from entering their lungs. Frown

Posts: 2707 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
That dog has a serious "I have a serious job to do" face.

Thank you, God, for giving humans such compassionate friends.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:
That dog has a serious "I have a serious job to do" face.

Thank you, God, for giving humans such compassionate friends.

I don't speak Spanish, but I'm guessing Marina is not a place people keep their boats. That dog is a Marine. They all have that look.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
cool googles and booties

more on Frida

http://www.latimes.com/world/m...-20170921-story.html

7 year old lab

sounds like not all of the 52 detections were of live people

Frida is the star of the Mexican navy’s Canine Unit. Throughout her career, the 7-year-old Labrador has detected 52 people — 12 alive — in various natural disasters.

Fifteen dogs have been deployed to search for people in Mexico City, but none have as many Twitter admirers as Frida. The navy tweeted a collage of photos of Frida last week, announcing her 52 rescues to the social media world. It got more than 4,000 retweets and nearly 7,000 likes. People called her a symbol of hope, a hero and offered to send her more boots to keep her paws safe. (She and the other rescue dogs have enough.)

On Thursday afternoon, she napped in a break room with two Belgian Malinois colleagues, Evil and Echo. Frida’s handler, Israel Arauz Salinas, said she had suffered from exhaustion after searching the school Wednesday. But he said she was back in good spirits Thursday after drinking water with electrolytes and getting some rest.

Salinas said that because of Frida’s age, Evil and Echo, who are a year and a half old, usually go into collapsed buildings first. If they detect a person, Frida follows up to confirm. She usually spends no more than 20 minutes inside.

Salinas said they bark if they detect signs of life. If they find a corpse, they stop suddenly, then carefully proceed.

"They act afraid," he said. "That indicates to us that there is a cadaver."

He said the spaces that Frida and the other dogs have had to search are less than 20 inches high. In some places, the dogs had to crawl, getting much deeper into the rubble than rescuers could.

Salinas said the dogs are selected for service at 2 months old. They receive training that determines whether they will go into detection of narcotics, explosives or people.

For detection of people, the training starts by throwing toys such as balls. Once the dog gets used to fetching, the trainer begins running with the toy in hand.

"They start associating the smell of the person with the reward of the ball," he said, adding that they train for about 3 hours a day for a year before being sent out to disaster sites.

Frida’s skills are applied not only in Mexico. Salinas said she was in Ecuador during the earthquake of April 2016.

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
10/10. Would pet.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Someone better be getting some extra treats or play time

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38251 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Someone better be getting some extra treats orand play time

Absolu-freaking-lutely. Good girl Frida! Cool

Posts: 7422 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
10/10. Would pet.

I LOL'd! Big Grin

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How much aid relief did Mexico provide to the United States in the wake of Harvey and Irma?

Posts: 109167 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
How much aid relief did Mexico provide to the United States in the wake of Harvey and Irma?

I think they did, in fact offer and was accepted by Gov Abbott

https://www.dallasnews.com/new...ricane-harvey-relief

But the nations DACA's, not so much...

Posts: 8728 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post