SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TDAP and shingles shots
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TDAP and shingles shots Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob RI:
I had the shingrix vaccine (two shots) with no reactions. Shingles can really be pretty rough so I felt it was worth getting the vaccine.

Me too. No issues.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I came down with shingles in 2020 right before I was to undergo radiation therapy for prostrate cancer. It developed into postherpetic neuralgia. Excruciating pain. Consult with your doctor and get your shingles vaccine.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
End of day two, no issues. Mild soreness and very minor swelling at injection point yesterday, hardly noticeable today. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Hope shot number two goes as well in a couple/few months. TDaP still in the offing. Thanks to all for replies.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: (Forgot to do this at the time). Other current thread reminded me to update. I got the second shingles shot a little more than two months after the first. No issues on second shot; same as first. From what others go through with shingles, it seems like a good idea to get the shots. My two cents.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have had both the old shingles shot and the latest ones about a year ago. We signed up after two of the people in our neighborhood had shingles and their suffering was enough encouragement to get the shots.

The only reaction that we had was minor arm soreness that went away after a day.

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My poor wife is going through Shingles hell at this moment. Thread HERE. As soon as she recovers she will get the vaccine; she is 52. I am 49.5 years old and tried to get the vaccine at Walgreens and they told me there is a law that requires you to be 50 to get it, but if my doctor has the vaccine and is willing to give it under 50 then I can get it. Otherwise I have to wait 6 months. I know a friend who got it and had bad body aches and fever for 3 days, but I will take that over what I am seeing my wife go through for 3 weeks now.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
No law that I have heard of. In these times anything is possible though. Check with your physician. It may be an INSURANCE restriction. The FDA has not approved Shringrix for under 50.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The FDA has not approved Shringrix for under 50.

I think this is the crux of the matter. Terminology might not be the strong suit of the 'geniuses' at Walgreens, but it's NOT surprising that they won't administer the vaccine to any patient cohort outside of FDA approval guidelines.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8879 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^
No law that I have heard of. In these times anything is possible though. Check with your physician. It may be an INSURANCE restriction. The FDA has not approved Shringrix for under 50.

I think you are right. With my insurance my prescription coverage and medical coverage are separate from each other. Probably why she said I could go to my doctor if they are willing to do it.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put off getting the shots for a lot of years as I do not have Med. part D. Both my sisters caught Shingles. My oldest sister got it a second time and one eye was covered for months with it. I finally ponied up the cash for both shots, 4 months apart. No reaction except for sore arm like with the flu shot. May have been a little fatigued after the second shot. My TDAP is out of date.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fear shingles much more than I fear the shots ! I've had both types of vaccines because the older vaccine wasn't particularly effective.

I always think of Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry) saying to me "well punk, do you feel lucky?" with a sneer. I'm never lucky...... Big Grin

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post