SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have become an iced coffee convert :)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have become an iced coffee convert :) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
my wife, from years of working at the hospital loves that "gas station coffee," you know, the pot that's three quarters empty and the residue, black and thick, smells like it's burning?

Well, unbelievably for me, I've converted her! I make a large carafe of cold brew every day for the next morning and she's loving it (so she says, anyway).

As for me, I've been hooked on it for about three years, ever since I discovered it was so much better than any hot coffee.

I maybe could go for a glass right now...Hmmmmmmmm!

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Did some research and have decided to give this cold brew DIY method a try in the next few days to see if I really like the stuff:

Using a pint Ball canning jar mix 15 grams (5 grams = 1 teaspoon) of coarse ground coffee to 10 ounces of water. Let it steep in the fridge for 24 hours. Pour the mix through a #4 filter in my pour over brewer (Clever Coffee Dripper) to remove the grounds and sediment.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've taken the plunge. Smile
Just ordered a system identical to that recommended by tatortodd but a different brand than his.
1.5 liter version here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LGR68PG/
$10 off coupon made it $27 total with tax delivered.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I put leftover coffee in the fridge. The way I drink it, with milk. And cold, it has a mocha flavor to it.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
I put leftover coffee in the fridge. The way I drink it, with milk. And cold, it has a mocha flavor to it.

Leftover coffee? What's that? LOL I've never had anything but an empty pot. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I drank hot coffee for a number of yers, really like the expensive stuff, rather than the gas station variety, like my wife.

But the cold brew is good, but, of course, expensive. I just bought some Maud's from Amazon and it is pretty good. When it's gone, gonna try making it from my own grounds rather than a pre-packed package.

We'll see. I like it enough to spend the money, but if I can do it cheaper, that'd be great.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cold brewing sounds complicated. I just take the leftover hot coffee we don't drink out of the carafe and put it in a pitcher in the fridge. Then I pour it over ice and add a little half and half, just like I drink it hot. It's great that way. In fact, I am just finishing up a glass right now.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sometimes make it at home using Mrs. Sigmund's Keuric, I make it normal and then add lots of ice.

IMO, this is delicious iced coffee, only 260 calories for the large. I get sugar free French vanilla with five shots of Splenda:

https://www.mcdonalds.com/us/e...ed-coffee-large.html

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I just make a couple of batches of hot coffee in my drip maker, pour it into a gallon jug, and put it in the fridge. Lasts me a bit less than a week usually.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I sometimes make it at home using Mrs. Sigmund's Keuric, I make it normal and then add lots of ice.

Ron as mentioned in my opening post, my not even a year old Ninja CM401 has a brew over ice function that converted me.

The dedicated cold brew gizmo I have coming takes 14 to 16 tablespoons of medium coarse ground coffee (that's .875 to 1 full cup) to water up to the pitcher's max line. Leave it in the fridge for 24 hours and you're good to go. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Toddy Cold Brew for a few years now. Its easy to use but I am still trying to get the coffee/water ratio perfected, a lot of the time the coffee comes out a little bitter. It's not undrinkable just annoying. I have learned to not use dark roasts, mediums seem to turn out less bitter.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3643 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll make an iced mocha a couple times a week with my Jura. Good afternoon pick me up

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6227 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post