SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have become an iced coffee convert :)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have become an iced coffee convert :) Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Months ago I replaced my aging drip coffee maker with a Ninja CM410 which has SCA certification for proper brewing temperatures. The unit has some extra features like a milk frother and an option for "over ice" delivery.

Despite being an old codger I'd never had iced coffee save a Charbuck's Frapaccino which was too laden with chemicals and sweeter than I like.

Decided to through caution to the wind and brew up an iced coffee with the CM401. Spiked the output with a splash of Kamora (Kahlua alternative) and some half n half. Oh my... Big Grin really really delicious and refreshing during these hot days here.

I've read comparos between iced coffee and cold brew and have decided to stick with what I'm enjoying so much.

Any others here enjoy iced coffee?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Whenever I stop by my local coffee/donut place, I'll get a cold brew. Not only is it pretty good, but no carbs (Type 1 diabetic), unlike lattes, mochas, etc.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
I like hot and iced. I french press hot at home, but order iced when out. Usually an iced Americano with an extra shot, a splash of non-fat, and a bit of extra sugar... Sipping one from Dutch Bros right now.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been drinking cold brew coffee for over 5 years now. I went from hot coffee, to iced coffee, to cold brew.

Whenever Chamelion is on sale, I stock up. Otherwise, I use my hario to make 32 ounces at a time.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Whenever I stop by my local coffee/donut place, I'll get a cold brew. Not only is it pretty good, but no carbs (Type 1 diabetic), unlike lattes, mochas, etc.

I have found that even bad coffee comes out well in cold brew:
https://www.amazon.com/Hario-M...+%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-4
https://www.amazon.com/Takeya-...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

You can save a bunch of money if you make it yourself.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I will admit to having considered a cold brew maker. Specifically this one which gets great reviews online:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711WZ7S7/

But I've yet to convince myself that the iced coffee I'm getting from my CM401 isn't good enough. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you ever tried cold brew? Cold brew and iced coffee are about as similar as hot tea, and powdered iced tea.

They say it has less acid, but I don't buy it.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Cold Brew here, there are plenty of concentrated offerings at the Public, however I stick to Stock, or Califia unsweetened, occasionally Startbucks when it's on sale.

Been thinking of DIY as an alternative...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
No, no, no, never

I have made it a habit to never say never but I feel comfortable with this one

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Iced coffee is OK, but seems to increase the coffee's bitterness. In other words, the same batch of beans brewed identically and drank hot would be less bitter than drinking after pouring over ice.

I'm a fan of cold brew. I have two of the 1.5 liter versions. Same exact coffee beans as before will be less bitter than hot or iced coffee. Modifications I make for cold brewing:
  • normally I drink medium roast coffee, but I prefer dark roast coffee for cold brewing. Cold brewing doesn't get as much flavor out of the beans as my SCA certified Technivorm Moccamaster so I compensate with a bolder roast.
  • I normally grind my beans fine (Baratza Virtuoso setting is 14) for hot coffee, but I open it up to a setting of 30 or 32 for cold brew. This drastically cuts the solids getting out of the cold brewer's strainer basket into the coffee.

EDIT: Added the link for the model I own

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 280nosler:
    Have you ever tried cold brew? Cold brew and iced coffee are about as similar as hot tea, and powdered iced tea.

No. As said this was my first experience with iced coffee. I use quality fresh roasted beans and the result is as smooth and non-bitter as my hot coffee. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    All the cold brewers I've found are small, guess to fit into those tiny hip fridges in the tiny little apartments in big cities LOL

I'd be making this stuff daily... Love to make one pot or two a week, not 7....

Thinking of one of these, and a 2 qt jar...

Cold Brew Filter

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of 229DAK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I will admit to having considered a cold brew maker. Specifically this one which gets great reviews online:
    Made in China. Will look somewhere else.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 229DAK:
    quote:
    Made in China. Will look somewhere else.

https://takeyausa.com/products...riant=15387389788269

posted Hide Post
    Hack: Take some of that coffee and fill up an ice cube tray or two to keep your drink chilled without diluting it.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Partial dichotomy
    posted Hide Post
    This reminds me, the next time I brew hot coffee in the morning, I'll do an extra cup to have as iced coffee later in the day.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
    Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tanner:
    Hack: Take some of that coffee and fill up an ice cube tray or two to keep your drink chilled without diluting it.

What are these "trays" you speak of, my ice comes out of the door Big Grin

Picture of bald1
    posted Hide Post
    Anyone use the County Line mason jar system?

https://www.county-line-kitche...ections/cold-brewers

https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Br...nless/dp/B01ATJ6AJG/

https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-...J764?ref_=ast_sto_dp

USN (RET), COTEP #192

quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    We like cold brew too.
    The only thing it takes more than twice the coffee to properly seep.
    But worth it.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Krazeehorse
    posted Hide Post
    Do Black Russians count?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post