SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any forum members in San Antonio?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any forum members in San Antonio? Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted
I live just outside Seattle. I'm sick, done, over, had it with the politics here. I've had it for a long time now, but this shit about vaccines and where I can't go and what I can't do has me... irritated is probably the nice way to put it. My wife is the bread winner, and her company keeps posting job openings in San Antonio and St. Louis. I don't want to live in St. Louis. I'm from El Paso, so San Antonio would be a little more like going home. She passed up the last few, but I think I'm going to push pretty hard for her to put in for the next one that pops up. Praying another one does, really.

What do you have to say about San Antonio? Where to raise a child? What's the crime like? Things to do? Any input at all would be appreciated. I've asked about a few places in the last few years, but they didn't pan out. I really want to get the hell out of here, and as soon as I can.

Posts: 17138 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Texas, moved from San Antonio to the Seattle area in 2002. Moved back to the Austin area in 2010. I have a pretty good idea of what you are dealing with and what San Antonio has to offer.

Feel free to shoot me an email, my address is in my profile.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Austin since 2000 but here's the thing.. of all the trips to SA, I have never found great foods there.. Frown

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived there for year. Large Hispanic population and culture. Speaking Spanish helps. I enjoyed the restaurants. Huge military presence with all branches represented. Good healthcare. Really hot climate. I would move there from Seattle.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
My parents live in San Antonio. Yes. Move there.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My brother and mother live in San Antonio. It is a good city. It won't be as urbane as Seattle, but the other benefits are apparent.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have visit4ed San Antonio several times. I don't think you'd have any trouble finding food that you like. It is reputed to be not as Liberal as Austin, which is a good thing. And, of course, one does not have to actually live IN the city to enjoy its benefits.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In the past I’ve lived in San Antonio, and am currently there for an extended stay for medical reasons.

For a big city, it has a small town feel. I’ve lived in Olmos Park and Alamo Heights. It was an easy commute on surface streets. Freeway traffic can be a drag here during rush hour.

Posts: 26912 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Where your wife would be working will tell you a lot. Best places to live there tend to be to the north and northwest; if she'd be working on the north end of town then there are several pleasant little Hill Country towns within commuting distance to the north.

Check congressional districts and voting history, by the way. There are several patches of Dem-controlled hell in the center and southwest.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lived there while stationed at Ft. Sam Houston. My wife and I both loved it so much we go there 1-2 times per year.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Tacos tacos tacos tacos tacos everywhere!! You can get a morning taco thru the drive thru!

Yes. Go Tacos!

To be fair, I live in Temple…but tacos

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best places to live there tend to be to the north and northwest;

^^^^^^^^^^^
Correct. That is where I lived. The zoo and mission tour are superb.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We lived there from '92 to '96. It was described best as "a cow town with a million people". With suburbs, it's 30+ miles north to south, so it's always a long drive to anywhere. They never seemed to build up, just spread out.

We lived in the north east part, in Universal City, near Randolph Air Force Base.

Lots of nice areas, but also the home of bullet-resistant sheetrock. Lots of neighborhoods had houses sporting bars on the windows. One of our neighbors had their house broken into in the middle of the day - the burglers used a chainsaw to go through the wall. It's damned hot, everyone has AC, nobody heard a thing.

Food: Best Tex Mex was La Fiesta Patio, still in business. Best burgers was Chesters, still in business. Both are on Pat Booker road. We never found a steak place I really liked, nor a seafood place the wife liked.

Housing: I kid you not, the housing was going up so fast in the late 90's that they barely graded a lot before they poured a slab. Basements don't exist.

Weather: hot and windy. I mowed every week of every year I was there. The grass is hard on mower blades.

Traffic: always heavy. I saw a wreck on an icy day that involved over a hundred cars and spread over about three miles.

Allergies: hell.

Bugs: fire ants, also hell.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmmm. Guess you liked Wisconsin better. I would never have lived near RANDOLPH. Location makes big difference in San Antonio. I lived in Wisconsin as well. It has its pluses. It makes no sense to have a lawn in San Antonio. Just put out some cactus and rocks. The Water from the Edwards Aquafir is great.

BTW where in Wisconsin do you live??

posted Hide Post
^^^
We lived near RAFB because I was stationed on Fort Sam Houston.

Now we live in SW WI, about 2 miles from the Wisconsin River and 20 miles from the Mississippi.

Instead of living in a cow town, I have cows for neighbors. Smile

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the biggest benefit to living in SATX: HEB!!!

Posts: 13118 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lived outside of Lavalle on Lake Redstone.

posted Hide Post
All three of my children were born in San Antonio. We lived there from 1992 until 2018.

The last 19 years we lived in a neighborhood North of the city limits but still in Bexar county.

We loved the area.

My email is in my profile if you have specific questions.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Perhaps the biggest benefit to living in SATX: HEB!!!

This can't be overstated enough.

As has been said the North and NW parts of town are where you'll want to be. Boerne used to be a nice quite town, now it's bustling and the price of housing is going up every day.

Depending on how deep into the metro area your wife will have to go Kerrville might be a doable commute.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Kerrville and Fredericksburg.

If you’ve got the money/don’t have to commute every day, Fredericksburg is a good idea.

Boerne would be the best location, I think. Alamo heights or King Williams would also be good.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post