SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who’s taken someone to small claims court?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who’s taken someone to small claims court? Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I’d do a search to determine the steps required in your state. Also the wording needed in the demand letter and send it certified mail.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I’d do a search to determine the steps required in your state. Also the wording needed in the demand letter and send it certified mail.

Thank you…been doing that this evening

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6330 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course I haven’t heard shit from them. I know I’m getting stiff armed and that they have no interest in doing the right thing.

You haven't talked to someone who can fix your problem yet, but you've already decided they are going to screw you? Avoiding calling you back is shitty, but it's about the weakest form of giving you the shaft they can do.
Go there, talk to the owner & explain the situation. It's a lot harder to say no in person vs on the phone. If he's a prick, act appropriately. If he's not, again, act appropriately.
Take the emotion out of it until it's time to get pissed.

quote:
Yep, I charged the install of the bumper. Disputing the charge would no doubt lead to legal action as I’ve discovered that these people (4x4 shop) are assholes.

They are nowhere near big enough assholes to be able to take on Visa/MC. They've already agreed to let the CC company decide what they get paid. If I were the CC company, I wouldn't necessarily side with you only having attempted contact 1 time & the shop having a decent excuse to not have made an attempt to fix it at that time. If you want to dispute it, try to start it in less than 1 month from the original charge, though.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Good advice so far. I would suggest mailing a letter certified to the shop/owner, outlining the simple facts of the work they did, what you paid them, the damages incurred, and how your mechanic explained that it was due to their negligence.

Ask if they want to pay you directly, and if not, to please give you their insurance information. This would be a great document to have on file if you decide to go to small claims or dispute the credit card charge.

And if you want to be a little passive/aggressive, go in person and stand at the front counter with other customers around and say you're waiting to speak to the owner about the damage they did to your vehicle.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well, good news! I called the shop three times yesterday and never got an answer or call back. The last time I called it went straight to voicemail. As mentioned in the OP I spoke with a sales guy named Jason last Friday in person. He had facilitated the installation of my bumper a month ago. I guess my mechanics invoice and pictures of before and after were enough because he just called and said they were refunding my credit card the $745. I think they knew full well they were to blame for this. I thanked him twice and let him know it saved us both a lot of trouble. Problem solved! Thank y’all again for all the input

Posts: 7001 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. Great to hear!

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thanks for the update. Great to hear!

Absolutely, I’m quite happy having my $745 back!

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post