Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Corned Beef Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Did I miss something? Is there something about Corned Beef that has suddenly become politically incorrect?

A couple of weeks ago I was walking by the Deli in Walmart and got an urge for a Ruben sandwich so I asked for some corned beef and was told they quit carrying it. When I asked why, I just got the old shoulder shrug and “I don’t know”. Yesterday, I was in another Walmart and found out that they too quit carrying it, so I’m assuming it is the same in all the stores. I can get it elsewhere but I really liked the brand they carried.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My local stores have stopped selling it too. You can still buy a big hunk of it, but the little thinly sliced sandwich type packages of it are no more. Whenever I do see them somewhere I buy a bunch of them as I love Reubens.

The sliced chicken is getting hard to find as well for some reason.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Have prices gone up...if so, not as many suppliers and too much demand?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It is not a REAL Deli without corned beef, that is just a FACT!
As far a the grocery stores maybe customers are just buying the evil cousin Pastrami instead. Eek

Posts: 22926 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Real delis have corned beef. Especially Jewish delis. I always make sure to pick up a few pounds of it, Cole slaw, rye and pickles to make one.

I've never seen a chain store carrying corned beef. And yuck, something skeeves me out about walmart's deli and meats section. I'll buy stuff at Walmart, but for some odd reason, I can't bring myself to use their deli, or buy their meats.

Ah, I know, I've purchased meat in the past from Walmart and it's been either shit, or spoiled.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Go to a butcher or deli and just have them slice it for you. Slabs of corned beef brisket can be had in a number of stores in the area here. We usually slice our own but have had a local Fred Meyers store slice small amounts, no problem.

Umm, now I'm hungry for some corned beef hash. I'll have to work on that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
If you EVER find yourself in Edison NJ,you NEED to go to Harolds Deli and have a corned beef Sandwich on Chewish Rye bread.
Oh better bring 1-2 buddies with you to eat it.

http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unbreaded/3382532248

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8369 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
If you EVER find yourself in Edison NJ,you NEED to go to Harolds Deli and have a corned beef Sandwich on Chewish Rye bread.

I can safely say, I will never find myself in N.J. Cool

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
quote:

Well...according to your location, your only 20 miles away.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general, corned beef is seasonal. A well stocked deli or, butcher shop will have both flat and point cuts of corned beef. Stop shopping at Walmart and get to a better meat counter.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
In general, corned beef is seasonal. A well stocked deli or, butcher shop will have both flat and point cuts of corned beef. Stop shopping at Walmart and get to a better meat counter.

Those of us living in Small Town America don't have access to butcher shops or delis but I'm willing to give those up to be where I'm at. Razz

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Those of us living in Small Town America don't have access to butcher shops or delis but I'm willing to give those up to be where I'm at. Razz

Unfortunately, said large store corporation put those butcher shops and many other small independents out of business; anyways, enough with the past. St.Paddy's Day is around the corner, I usually buy 3-4 around that time and store them in the freezer for use later in the year.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Is this timely or old?

http://magneticmediatv.com/201...-and-poultry-banned/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
quote:
quote:

Well...according to your location, your only 20 miles away.

I had the exact same thought, but you beat me to it Big Grin

With corned beef, I’ll usually just make my own from the grocery store kit, and slice it up for sandwiches and hash.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a youngster my dad would brine several briskets and usually throw in a beef tongue, which is amazing.
I would like to give it a try but never get around to it.
The local Fred Meyer just brought in Boars Head
provisions which are expensive but well worth it.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
You need to find out where the local Jews get theirs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
a beef tongue, which is amazing.
A tongue sammish is awesome!

To quote Sam Weller (from The Pickwick Papers): "Tongue —, well that's a wery good thing when it ain't a woman's".

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It probably got too expensive for them to sell and make any money off of.

Brisket is also harder to come by as demand outstrips supply as BBQ soars in popularity around the country.

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Hell, even the tinned corned beef, which is likely made from presses scraps, is selling for around six dollars a can. Hard to understand that one.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother used to buy sliced tongue at the deli and we'd make sandwiches out of it. Never thought much at the time about about it being the tongue of a cow. When I tell my wife about it now she goes, "Yuck!".

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post