SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any of y'all pay/ provide your own health/medical insurance?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any of y'all pay/ provide your own health/medical insurance? Login/Join 
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted
Well, do ya?
If so, do you mind giving an overview of cost, quality, etc?

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Family of four. $1,300 per month. $5,000 deductibles.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Well, do ya?

You don't want to know, you don't want to know, and you don't want to know.

Affordable Care Act name is incredibly misleading.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roughly $1,800/month for my family of four, high deductible, $5,000 out of pocket, 10% after that until I hit $7,500 out of pocket.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, for about 40 years. It was the largest expense in running my business. It is complicated, expensive and generally necessary unless you are independently wealthy. There are a number of health care experts on this forum would could probably give you better help if you could be more detailed in your question.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wife and I age 60, BCBS Silver Plus plan, about $1900/month.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't even know what questions to ask, really. I can only imagine how this Affordable Care Act has muddied the waters....

Basically, I really want to quit my job. Not tomorrow or anything like that, but one day....

I can make up the salary part of my job. Fairly easily. But the benefit side, not so much.
I know I'm gonna need insurance... for me & my 3 kids.
Some basic info...
I'm 46, never smoked, but I have a couple pre-existing conditions.
Kids are:
Boy 17, girls 14 & 10.

It's really mostly a pipe dream, I know. At my age I need to plug away for the next ten years and try to make it to retirement at my .gov job w/o letting it completely suck out my soul....

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Employer does not pay any of our health insurance, all they did was to negotiate a group buy,my cost for my wife and myself $233.00 per week.

We are purchasing her coverage on the open market and have it for under $250 per month, similar coverage. I am on Medicare starting in July.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8380 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1500 and some change a month. Humana PPO plan male mid 40's, wife mid thirties, 8 year old son.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Wife and I are both MediCare age, so it's around $100 / month for both of us for Part B, plus another $400 / month to United HealthCare for Medicare Supplement (doctor visits, etc.), and about $60 for Part D (prescription meds).

So, it looks like a total of around $560 / month for the V-Tail household. That sounds low, but now let's factor in the money that was taken from our paychecks from the very first day that MediCare went into effect. Basically, we pre-paid a lot of insurance over the years.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
We are purchasing her coverage on the open market and have it for under $250 per month, similar coverage.

Can you name the provider? Thanks.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$1100/mo for me, my wife and daughter. $13,000 deductible. BCBS Call it what you want, it amounts to catastrophic insurance.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hudr:
Well, do ya?

Please don't consider the information you see in this thread as even close to what your pricing will be. If you go online to your state's health exchange website you can get cost information based on YOU and your current salary.

Start here: https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

Enter your zip code and it will direct you to either your state/county website. Texas does not have a state exchange (I don't think they do) so the website will run you through the questions to get options and pricing. The pricing is based on the number of adults and dependents, age, other factors and your expected 2017 income.

Then they will tell you what your "premium tax credit" is. This is the deduction - if any - you get as it relates to your income.

You will not have to provide any information other than zip code.

The website will provide you with a list of plans available. I just did a test run for Texas with a a family of five at $48k per year income and the prices for plans started at $60 per month with a deductible of $12,300. So figure at least $13,000 per year max out of pocket to start.

YMMV significantly.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5025 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider is short-term health insurance. I am looking into it right now.

It is much cheaper than Obamacare, but you may have trouble getting it if you have a preexisting condition.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6130 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Some of these numbers you guys are putting up are making me sick.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The best option is employer group insurance, particularly BCBS Federal. That is what the members of Congress have. Sadly the insurance situation keeps people working at jobs they dislike or even staying in unhappy relationships. I have enjoyed being self employed but the health insurance premiums have been a significant drag on the bottom line.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:

Please don't consider the information you see in this thread as even close to what your pricing will be. If you go online to your state's health exchange website you can get cost information based on YOU and your current salary.

Start here: https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/

Enter your zip code and it will direct you to either your state/county website. Texas does not have a state exchange (I don't think they do) so the website will run you through the questions to get options and pricing. The pricing is based on the number of adults and dependents, age, other factors and your expected 2017 income.

Then they will tell you what your "premium tax credit" is. This is the deduction - if any - you get as it relates to your income.

You will not have to provide any information other than zip code.

The website will provide you with a list of plans available. I just did a test run for Texas with a a family of five at $48k per year income and the prices for plans started at $60 per month with a deductible of $12,300. So figure at least $13,000 per year max out of pocket to start.

YMMV significantly.

Thanks for this info. I just ran through the site. Very educational - I am currently insured through work but it was good to see the information.

-------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

The best option is employer group insurance, particularly BCBS Federal. That is what the members of Congress have. Sadly the insurance situation keeps people working at jobs they dislike or even staying in unhappy relationships. I have enjoyed being self employed but the health insurance premiums have been a significant drag on the bottom line.

Yes, that's the rub....I am currently a DoD employee and have BC/BS Federal. I know I have really good insurance right now. Like I said earlier, quitting my job is really just a pipe dream....

posted Hide Post
I've never really understood how insurance companies carve up risk pools. I certainly know that providing coverage for larger numbers allows them to spread the risk and make statistical estimates more reliable. The mystery is why this is tied to employers. If Acme Manufacturing with 500 employees can form a "group", why not 85,000 Sigforum members?

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
61 yo. $550/mo for high deductible and max out at $10k. Used it all last year on my valve job.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post