SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Keith Ellison running for Minnesota AG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Keith Ellison running for Minnesota AG Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.ajc.com/news/ellis...bjw9rNiOVvZ47vQmxuJ/

Democratic Rep. Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress and a top official with the Democratic National Committee, filed to run for Minnesota attorney general Tuesday in a last-minute move triggered by the incumbent's decision to run for governor.

he weighed a run for attorney general until Lori Swanson, the current officeholder, decided to run for a fourth term this winter.

But Swanson changed course Monday, launching a late bid for Minnesota governor. Ellison and others pounced, filing for the office on Tuesday.

It will be Ellison's first statewide campaign and a huge change from his congressional career. He represents a solidly Democratic district in Minneapolis and some surrounding suburbs and has never faced a major challenger since first being elected to Congress in 2006.

By entering the race for attorney general, Ellison is taking on the state party's endorsed candidate as well as longtime Democratic state lawmaker and former Minnesota Attorney General Mike Hatch. All filed for the office Tuesday.

His decision not to run for a seventh term in Congress opens up a solidly Democratic seat. And Minnesota Democrats started lining up for a chance to take the seat before Ellison made his exit official.

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The judiciary is where the progs see the best, easiest way to control things. It takes Congress to pass a law, majorities, cloture, President signs, etc but one judge can neutralize it.

When Greg Abbott was Texas AG, he described his work day as go in to the office, file suits against Obama Administration, go home.

Xavier Becerra in Whackyland is trying the same thing, as have AGs elsewhere.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maby the people of the twin cities could elect former Senator Al Franken to his congressional seat.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
So if he gets elected, which is almost a sure thing based on the urban population in Minnesota, how long until Minnesota is under Sharia Law?

Just saying. Wink

Posts: 3957 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
So if he gets elected, which is almost a sure thing based on the urban population in Minnesota, how long until Minnesota is under Sharia Law?

Just saying. Wink

It is by no means a sure thing. The Democrats are falling over themselves to run left this cycle and they are already facing criticism. Trump almost won the state. We have Governor and both Senators up this year. Could be interesting.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
His decision not to run for a seventh term in Congress opens up a solidly Democratic seat.

It's already a WIN: One less commie Muslim in Congress.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

Maybe. His district is almost certainly going to elect another commie, and possibly a Muslim due to the heavy Somali population.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:His decision not to run for a seventh term in Congress opens up a solidly Democratic seat. And Minnesota Democrats started lining up for a chance to take the seat before Ellison made his exit official.

Of course. After six terms, a congressman is fully vested in the "exclusive" retirement program Congress has awarded itself. Why bother hanging around when the money's all in the bank?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

Just saying. Wink

I believe he is far from a sure thing... If you look at a political breakout of MN counties for the presidential race you'll see only 9 of 87 counties went blue and of those only 3 of those were strongly democrat.

Posts: 1807 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I'll just leave the link

long story on Ellison from Oct 2006

https://www.weeklystandard.com...br-first-congressman

Louis Farrakhan's First Congressman

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

Maybe. His district is almost certainly going to elect another commie, and possibly a Muslim due to the heavy Somali population.

unless they're all card carrying citizens, how do they even vote?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
unless they're all card carrying citizens, how do they even vote?

Answer A: About 45% are citizens. I’d guess a higher percentage of kids than adults.

Answer B: Inner city Minneapolis. No one is asking for ID or citizenship papers.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:His decision not to run for a seventh term in Congress opens up a solidly Democratic seat. And Minnesota Democrats started lining up for a chance to take the seat before Ellison made his exit official.

Of course. After six terms, a congressman is fully vested in the "exclusive" retirement program Congress has awarded itself. Why bother hanging around when the money's all in the bank?

I don’t think that is so. There are a good many wild stories about Congressional retirement rolling around the internet. I believe Congressmen contribute to the standard plan like other employees. If you have authentic details different, I’d love to know about it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Ayatollah General?

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And update from Factcheck.prg

CRS, June 13: Members of Congress are eligible for a pension at the age of 62 if they have completed at least five years of service. Members are eligible for a pension at age 50 if they have completed 20 years of service, or at any age after completing 25 years of service. The amount of the pension depends on years of service and the average of the highest three years of salary. By law, the starting amount of a Member’s retirement annuity may not exceed 80% of his or her final salary.

In short, pretty much the old Civil Service Retirement System pension.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.powerlineblog.com/a...eith-ellison-win.php

Can he actually be elected Attorney General? Yes: Minnesota hasn’t had a Republican A.G. in more than 40 years, so Ellison has to be considered the favorite. On the other hand, local observers wonder how many votes he can garner outside the safe zone of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Can a politician with Ellison’s extremist record be elected to statewide office in Minnesota, a state that is moving steadily to the right? We will find out in November.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
If Jesse Ventura can be elected Governor, this kook can be AG.