SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help with sound skipping - computer to receiver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with sound skipping - computer to receiver Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm trying to listen to music via my computer connected over HDMI to my receiver (output to my monitor and speakers). Music is either streamed or download (local playback).

When I do this, the audio stutters and I don't know how to get rid of it. I've tried various W11 audio settings (bit, sampling rate) w/o success.

The receiver is also connected to an apple tv via hdmi - works fine.

Computer is new-ish (2 years old) running W11. Receiver is not new but support HDMI UHD and 9.2.

I think the receiver is okay - something wrong with the computer and hdmi....?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Have you tried streaming it via airplay to the AppleTV, which would then send audio to your receiver?

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don't think my computer supports airplay. It's running W11.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
How long is your hdmi cable? The longer ones are directional, so that could be an issue. If you look closely you’ll see directional arrows printed on the cable, but the ones I’ve seen are not obvious at all. Or it could be a bad cable.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
First thing I would do is connect headphones or a speaker directly to your PC and see if you are still seeing the problem there. If not keep working your way up to your receiver. Maybe try a different HDMI cable. What make/model receiver are you using?

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
No doubt a HDMI mismatch most likely with the cable.
I port mine to a USB DAC then output (3.5mm stereo to RCA analog inputs).
You could also use port directly from the computer analog output to RCA's as well.
When you use the HDMI you are passing the digital signal and letting the receiver DAC to process (which should be fine).
Sound like incompatible HDMI.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I think I figured it out. You guys are genius.

I should have mentioned that the HDMI from computer is actually USBc/Thunderbolt out to a Thunderbolt dock. From the dock, it's HDMI to the receiver.

The thinking along the lines of cable and DAC and incompatibility made me look at my setup again. I tried connecting the HDMI cable directly to the computer rather than via the dock. Seems like the dock is the problem for some reason; well either the dock or the USBc subsystem in the computer.

In any case, directly connecting HDMI from the computer to the receiver seems to have fixed the issue.

The computer, the dock, the receiver - none of these things are cheap. Not sure which component is screwing the pooch on an industry standard here. Seems like incompetence on the job (design and QA).

Anyway, thanks guys. I was scratching my head here.