SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Road cyclists lend me your ear.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Road cyclists lend me your ear. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
Chainsuck, I got it. Just had a new cassette and chain installed. Now, when in the low front cog, the chain will suck around it. Only the low gear, the tall gear works great. It happens no matter what rear gear I'm in.

The chain is lubed, and everything looks in line. Seems to be a linear problem.

Any suggestions?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Since you say the chain is lubed and clean, what is the condition of your chainrings? Are they pretty worn? Do they look like little shark fins?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30423 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Since you say the chain is lubed and clean, what is the condition of your chainrings? Are they pretty worn? Do they look like little shark fins?

They look ok. Of course I do t know what to compare them to. The rear cassette was badly worn. Never had chainsuck with the old chain.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it the right chain? If it's too fat, it may be binding up against the larger ring. Is there significant lateral clearance between the small ring and large ring, when the chain is in the smaller ring?

P229

Posts: 3843 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Is it the right chain? If it's too fat, it may be binding up against the larger ring. Is there significant lateral clearance between the small ring and large ring, when the chain is in the smaller ring?

Everything clears when I spin it on the rack. I can't find anything laterally that looks like it could be grabbing it.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
If the small chain ring was extremely worn, it could cause a new chain to stick. The old chain and ring may have worn together.

Look online for a small chainring, probably can buy one for $15. Small rings wear much, much faster than the large chain ring.

-c1steve

Posts: 4062 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
The only time I have had chain suck is when I took my freewheel apart and used grease to hold the ball bearings during assembly. Drag in the freewheel bearings made it less apt to spin and caused chain suck. Likely you have a freehub, check it for drag for whatever reason.

Posts: 7471 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Could be worn or bent teeth, like mentioned above.

I'll also add the obvious kind of question, the "is it plugged in?" kind. What speed is the cassette on your bike, and what model chain did they / or you put on. One cannot put a narrower chain on than what was intended.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2012 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Also with a new rear cassette and new chain check to be sure your front derailleur is properly adjusted as it could be allowing the chain to go too far over.

There should be limiting screws you can adjust.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Chain is probably too long and your derailleur spring isn't able to put on enough tension.

Is your cassette the same as your old? Is the chain the same number of links as your old one?

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
New chain lube is like cosmoline. Waxy horrid sticky packing grease. It's a preservative, NOT a lube. Pull the chain, soak it in mineral spirits. Get it good and cleaned. Rinse it in boiling hot water dry it, and after you clean the rings, reinstall it. Then lube with white lightning teflon lube. It will be fixed. No suckage.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
New chain lube is like cosmoline. Waxy horrid sticky packing grease. It's a preservative, NOT a lube. Pull the chain, soak it in mineral spirits. Get it good and cleaned. Rinse it in boiling hot water dry it, and after you clean the rings, reinstall it. Then lube with white lightning teflon lube. It will be fixed. No suckage.

Good point as well. This is the first thing to check.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
Chain is probably too long and your derailleur spring isn't able to put on enough tension.

Is your cassette the same as your old? Is the chain the same number of links as your old one?

I'll check the chain length. Yes the cassette is new version of the original.

Also, I'll check the chain to see if it needs cleaning.

TCB all the time...