SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    3x3 or Flush for Transmission Fluid Change?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3x3 or Flush for Transmission Fluid Change? Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Seriously? You think money grows on trees? Razz

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it amazing that I can get great information on just about any subject here on the forum. The one exception is on cars.
Just frikin wow!

Come on now.... there's plenty of great information on cars here on the forum.
It is salted and peppered with misinformation and disinformation so you do have to separate it out for yourself. Razz

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a proponent of just dropping all of the transmission fluid and changing it and the filter. If done at regular invoices, you're getting 80% of all of the fluid in one shot and it should be fine. Most wear metals should be stuck in the filter or pan, not in the torque converter and there isn't unburnt gasoline and etc from combustion gasses like the engine.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
I find it amazing that I can get great information on just about any subject here on the forum. The one exception is on cars.
Just frikin wow!

Come on now.... there's plenty of great information on cars here on the forum.
It is salted and peppered with misinformation and disinformation so you do have to separate it out for yourself. Razz
I know you added an emoji so you're joking.

However, Para and Arc have called on us multiple times to stay within our lane and not post in topics of a technical, specialized nature that we're not an expert in.

In those threads its a great place to read, read, read some more, and maybe ask questions since we inevitably have experts in every subject. Arguing with the expert will likely eventually end in them skipping those threads. Posting half-assed approaches, blindly repeating internet "facts", approaches that are dangerous (e.g. not up to National Electric Code), etc. can cost members money and possibly get them hurt if they don't properly separate the "disinformation."

You're an attorney, some of the "advice" in a divorce thread obviously makes the Sigforum Bar Association's skin crawl.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Those who say transmission fluid does not go bad do not formulate transmission fluids. Those who do have data of its degradation.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Me and my 45 years in the transmission repair industry say so.

I haven't met many honest transmission repairmen, so this doesn't surprise me.

I haven't met a single one, now that I think about it.

Transmission shops love to sell transmission flushes. They love to sell transmissions, too. Funny, that.

Personal attacks are not cool. Try facts.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
The dirty little secret the auto industry doesn't tell you is pretty much all the driving you do constitutes severe driving conditions. Subaru originally spec'd filled for life for their CVT transmission. Now they say service every 100k miles. So much for lifetime fluid life.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Those who say transmission fluid does not go bad do not formulate transmission fluids. Those who do have data of its degradation.

Yep.
I don't have to be a scientist to know transmission fluid does go bad and needs to periodically be changed. The question is "when" not "if".

Can Changing your Transmission Fluid Cause Damage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o690DovjDAc

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Me and my 45 years in the transmission repair industry say so.

I haven't met many honest transmission repairmen, so this doesn't surprise me.

I haven't met a single one, now that I think about it.

Transmission shops love to sell transmission flushes. They love to sell transmissions, too. Funny, that.

Personal attacks are not cool. Try facts.

As a former transmission tech I have to agree. We are just like any other technical industry I suppose. People who do not understand plumbing or other trade work often think they are being ripped off due to their not having the level of training or experience needed to fix the problem.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
The "3x3" is perfectly OK - at least it gets most of the old fluid out - and is easiest for the DIY-er. As for whether you should or should not "flush," first off, the notion that transmission fluid never degrades is ludicrous and ignorant. No, it isn't subjected to combustion byproducts like engine oil, but it is subjected to plenty of heat. The 150-180-degree operating temperature is an average, after running back through the cooler. But before that, it was squeezed through tiny orifices or passages under high pressure. Of course it is going to degrade over time, miles and load.

I dislike the term "flush," preferring to call it a fluid exchange. Most fluid exchange machines use the transmission's own line pressure to circulate the fluid. If the transmission has a filter, internal or external, there is no reason for it to be "either-or." Drop the pan and change the filter (if applicable) and do the exchange to get the rest of it out of the torque converter and cooler.

More comments when I have more time.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
2007 4Runner

This does have a removable pan and a filter. The pan is a pain to separate from the dipstick tube, the filter is more of a very fine mesh screen.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The pan is a pain to separate from the dipstick tube

No dipstick tube.

-rduckwor

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
I think for those year Toyota truck transmissions, they're "lifetime" fluid and shouldn't be changed, according to the people who designed and engineered the transmission. That's the official answer for my 2005 Tacoma. But what do they know?
Lifetime fluid...……..ummmmm, NO!! I have built many automatic transmissions. Lifetime fluid is a myth. I change all of my cars TF every 25-30,000 miles.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Tagged, Ive got to do mine soon!!!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post