SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is this Large Bug/Moth on my House?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is this Large Bug/Moth on my House? Login/Join 
Banned
posted

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
We call them Gypsy Moths here. I don't know if that's a local name or not.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
In Japan it's called Mothra.

Posts: 5347 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Harmless? Dangerous?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
Harmless? Dangerous?

Harmless. As kids we'd catch them and play with them till we got bored with it and let them go.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Moth from the Fukushima nuclear power plant. The others were too big to get off the ground.

It is pretty interesting to find an animal like that on your porch.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
Harmless? Dangerous?

Adult moths don't even have mouth parts. Some species' larvae are pests. The larvae of one kind of moth are what makes silk.

Posts: 28693 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
Gross. I had this monster at our old apartment. bleh.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I had one something like this one on my patio shade last week

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Black Witch moth.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3356 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post