SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "Dash cam" for motorcycle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Dash cam" for motorcycle Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
I've had a dash cam in my truck for several years now. In fact, last fall I upgraded to having front and rear cameras that record simultaneously to the same chip.

In the new week or so, I'll be purchasing my first motorcycle and was thinking a dash cam (using the term pretty liberally since there is no dash) is an even better idea on a motorcycle. Using my truck's old dash cam doesn't seem like a good idea as it would be too easy to steal (or at least steal the card) plus it's not made to be outdoors.

Are people using something like a go pro for motorcycle "dash cam" or something else? Are you helmet mounting it or mounting it to somewhere on the bike?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23335 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GoPro for weather resistance. You will need good image stabilization and vibration resistance. There are quite a few mounts out there that should fit your need. I would go handlebar mount as I dont want more weight on my helmet

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Forget the helmet cams that mount to the top of your helmet. In a accident, it will be damaged/destroyed and even lost at the scene.

Two choices for your consideration.

Cambox MKv3 - integrates into your helmet, just above your eyes, the perspective of the rider. This is for me, as I ride solo. Weighs 40g - 1.41oz. More than just a motorcycle helmet usage ... it's lightweight. AUD$400 here, but I think it's worth every Pacific penny in every likelihood. Note - the MKv2 is cheaper and one color only. The improvements with the v3 are worth it.

Cambox

The SENA 10C Pro is a side mount (not my personal choice) has additional features and benefits if you have that SO on pillion. Maybe you are the SO pillion? Smile

SENA

Sure, these are pricey. The usual question to ask as to the value you place on your life.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
There are many solutions but as a new rider, I would counsel to avoid the use of technology like this. You will be frazzled enough getting used to riding and traffic and bad car drivers and weather and fogged up helmet visors and vibration and how your hands feel and...so many new sensations. Wondering if you have a gopro on, or off, or recording correctly? Trying to find the on-off switch while looking down?

There are so many youtube videos of motorcycle riders either acting like petulant petunias for getting cut off by a car it makes it seem like it happens all the time. And, road rage happens so often, if you look at such videos. I haven't seen such behavior in my years of riding. I think youtube makes us all more cognizant of issues, but fails to give us the true probability of such events.

And, in the accidents I work, the camera footage may or may not be useful to the investigator. In this commonwealth, a warrant must be issued before it can be viewed.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5080 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin Virb30 mounted to the handlebar. Picked up extra batteries and it works great. Now the picture quality is excellent and stable. There are some nice features with the editor, as in the video, you can put the GPS route, MPH, and other dats and overlay it on the video.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/RHLOu9AvxmY

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I looked into This last season but never got around to trying it.

Posts: 3473 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I would go with helmet-mounted. Sure, it will get trashed in a wreck. So will anything mounted onto the bike. Helmet-mounted will show your own POV. I would think that would be important to a cop or insurance company. Someone hitting you from the side that a cluster-mounted camera would only show as a bump, would not be the same as your own POV.

Posts: 3566 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
Sure, these are pricey. The usual question to ask as to the value you place on your life.
Thanks for the recommendations, but neither dash cams nor motorcycle cameras save lives. They just help sort out blame after the fact for the police, insurance, and possibly attorneys.

For example, my ex was in a head-on collision during the holiday season. She was stopped in her sports car in a turn lane on a 55 mph road, and she was hit head on (not direct center) by an 80 plus year old man driving a ratty pickup truck. She said his truck crossed the lane and hit her, and he said she was over the lane and he couldn't avoid her. At that speed, neither car was in its original accident location by the time police arrived. They ticketed her and last we spoke her insurance company was talking about it potentially exceeding her insurance limits since the 80 year old man left the scene in an ambulance complaining about chest pains. A dash cam could've made a big difference for her.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23335 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Related drift: what kind of bike?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15397 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Not sure yet, but I have it narrowed down to 3. Been keeping an eye on FB marketplace and CL.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Not sure yet, but I have it narrowed down to 3. Been keeping an eye on FB marketplace and CL.

Not telling us what you're considering, so we can go on for pages on why you're wrong & should get X or Y instead?
Where's the fun in that?

Posts: 15397 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
https://www.rammount.com/

for a plethora of good mounting options you can't get better than Ram.

Always in stock, good prices, fast shipping..

https://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount

Posts: 23602 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of having anything extra electronics wise mounted on my ride. I ride in bad weather by circumstance than choice and keep my bike free from what I would consider something extra. I'd recommend you get the bike and just enjoy it for a while before you choose to add anything. You may decide connecting power for a phone to be used as navigation is more important.
Just don't limit yourself too soon.
Cheers~

Posts: 909 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not telling us what you're considering, so we can go on for pages on why you're wrong & should get X or Y instead?
Where's the fun in that?
Bought my first motorcycle today. 2016 Honda Shadow Phantom with 1100 miles.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Where's the fun in that?
Bought my first motorcycle today. 2016 Honda Shadow Phantom with 1100 miles.

Congrats. I've got an 01 Indian Scout in my garage for the summer.