SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous vide experts/enthusiasts please step inside.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous vide experts/enthusiasts please step inside. Login/Join 
posted
Going to a wedding next week and I asked the happy couple what they wanted and they replied with a sous vide machine.

I'm so confused. Is it a machine or a thing that goes in a pot? Bags? No bags? Someone please help. I don't mind spending in the neighborhood of $150-300 as I saw some that were $500+.

Posts: 819 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
This is the newer version of the one I use. in addition you will need large container (I use a huge stock pot) which you can use a specific product made for your device or any plastic tub or pot for. Also you will need a vacuum sealer.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20834 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it is heating device that circulates water.

Anova is a prominent one that we have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ...1f-a281-df67fc737124

https://www.amazon.com/Anova-P...584482475447966&th=1

You can put it in a pot or there are specially made and very convenient tubs to use.
They may want multiple sizes depending on the size of what they are Sous Vide-ing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

A rack is helpful too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a Jule sous vide device. Heater that is controlled by your phone. Can be used in any pot, cooler or bucket, depending on the size of the item being cooked.

The most effective safety is between your ears

Posts: 235 | Location: Eastern Nebraska | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I also use the Anova. As mentioned they would also need a vacuum sealer, bags, and a large enough vessel to use it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anova is a prominent one that we have.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQ...1f-a281-df67fc737124

Costco sells that model for $124, if you are a member it's a good deal and you get the 1100 watt unit for the price of the 800 watt.

Link

The difference in each Anova model is the power level, the more you spend the stronger the power to heat the water. WiFi is included on the Anova models so you can monitor and run them with an app.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get one of these to play with. BUT: the though of having to get a vacuum sealer. I've already got enough kitchen stuff. To have to get another x2 and buy bags for the damn thing.

It's keeping me away from the sous vide train.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I went with a stand-alone (not connected to my phone Bluetooth) model made by Instapot. Roughly $100 on Amazon.

This one is fairly basic in features (time and temp, which is all you need), but it works great. I just use it with a large (12qt) stock pot.

Myrottiety: While I do have a chamber vacuum sealer, one isn't necessary to sous vide. Just use regular Ziplock bags and take the air out by immersing it in the water.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I'd love to get one of these to play with. BUT: the though of having to get a vacuum sealer. I've already got enough kitchen stuff. To have to get another x2 and buy bags for the damn thing.

I used zip lock bags for many years prior to buying a chamber sealer. submerge slowly to force air out with just a corner open then seal

I have been using an annova for the last 10 yrs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6234 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You can get a bottom end sealer for $75 at Costco, the FoodSaver, does a good job, comes with some bags.

I find it good for sealing up purchases that need to be frozen such as steaks, hamburger, chicken at Costco which comes in bulk size.

Also good for sealing up food items like chip bags once opened.

https://www.costco.com/foodsav...oduct.100982388.html

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hear ya on having too many devices!

However, a vac-sealer is more valuable than a Sous Vide machine, IMO.
Especially for freezing meat, fish or whatever in bulk.
Freezing in store packages introduces a lot of freezer burn, IMO.

I was very reluctant to go Sous Vide > always (and still do) like FIRE cooking or smoking.
But the SV has it's place and can be very effective once you get the hang of it.
NOT to cook everything but it can be a big asset at times.

This Beef Rib recipe from Guga made on SV is to die for, made it many times. Cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGMOFEd-G6M&t=181s

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have Joule and love it. I don't use a vacuum sealer, I just use double bagged zip locks.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Anova.

Have one and have been very happy with it. It bluetooth connects to an app on my phone so I can monitor and adjust as desired.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a point to having a special tub to cook the food in? Does the size, shape, material etc. matter? I'm trying to understand why a plastic tub is selling for $100.

Also, why would a $400 unit be 50% off from the manufacturer while keeping all the other prices the same? Link

Should I get that one because it's the same net cost but double the MSRP value? Or is the Costco one for $125 close enough (1100 watts vs 1200) and I should use the cost difference to get a vacuum sealer?

Posts: 819 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
You can get the tubs for as little as $40 Link

The advantage is sealing the tub off with the lid vs using saran wrap to cover the top of the tub to keep heat in and maintain a constant temp.

I use a large pot and cover the top with saran wrap myself.

You can get a complete kit on Amazon the Cooker, 16L container and a vacuum sealer for $398, which is a nice setup if you want an all in one purchase of Anova products.

From Costco you' pay $125 for the Anova, $75 for the sealer, and the generic tub on Amazon is $50 so you'd have $250 in the same setup,

Anova is pretty proud of their tubs, not used one so not sure what the advantage is of their tubs for $50 more but they say it's designed for Sous Vide.

Purposely built for sous vide: Combining a curved body shape that encourages superior water circulation with a silicone sealed lid, an integrated wire rack, and a raised base, the Anova Precision Cooker Container was designed specifically with sous vide in mind. Rest assured you're cooking with the best.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Another Anova here and a chamber vac.

Posts: 3463 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:
Is there a point to having a special tub to cook the food in? Does the size, shape, material etc. matter? I'm trying to understand why a plastic tub is selling for $100.

Also, why would a $400 unit be 50% off from the manufacturer while keeping all the other prices the same? Link

Should I get that one because it's the same net cost but double the MSRP value? Or is the Costco one for $125 close enough (1100 watts vs 1200) and I should use the cost difference to get a vacuum sealer?

I just use a deep stainless steel stock pot.

Rather than use a vac sealer, I just submerge the food in a partially sealed zip lock bag in the stock pot until all the air is pushed out of the bag then zip the rest of the bag closed. Works great. I also use "clip clips" to clip the bag to the top/side of the stock pot.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Anova that came with the tub as a gift several years ago. I had my eye on a Joule circulator but, the gift was nice so I've been playing with that one. The circulator is the main device, cheap ones start around $50, decent ones start around $100 and the pro devices can get up to several thousand. Most people are good with the $99-200 devices, Anova and Joule are arguably the most popular brands. Joule's parent Breville has some more elaborate models, as does many other familiar home appliance brands.

Getting a circulator that comes with a tub/immersion basin is a nice package deal, you usually see these around the holidays and 'wedding season' being promoted at home kitchen stores. If the user is an active cook, they'll know which pots they'll use for certain projects and the tub is just a bonus.

Best use for sous vide I've found is proteins and vegetables. Getting lamb and other meats to the right temp and putting a finishing sear, makes for a nice touch. Buttered carrots and making mash potatoes have been my sous vide staple for the veg-side of the menu. Pretty handy device when you're cooking for a big group and stove/oven space gets used up fast.

Posts: 14664 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I use an Anova wifi model. I would say I use it less than 5 times a year, but I do like it. I just don't really plan ahead often enough. When I do, I use ziploc gallon freezer bags. I typically use it if I'm having people over for steals and everyone wants it cooked differently, but I've also done large cuts like rib roasts or pork loins and it's great for that.

That said, the vacuum sealer could be very helpful processing and freezing game that I kill and I really should get one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:

The vacuum sealer is a gadget you should already have, even if strictly just for its functionality as a vacuum sealer.

Besides the sous vide, you can use it to individually portion and seal bulk purchase meats and left overs.

I use mine frequently for non-kitchen related stuff. I vacuum seal first aid supplies, fire making supplies, and loose ammo for my go-bags. I seal backup documents for travel. I split up freeze dried meals into more sensible portions (and to reduce packaging and bulk) for backpacking. Etc. and so on.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post