SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calorie counter apps?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calorie counter apps? Login/Join 
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
Originally posted by sorenson:
I had great results w/ myfitnesspal. The thing will even scan bar codes so you don't have to manually input many of your foods.
s

This has already been handy a couple times. One thing I’m unsure of is the input for exercise. Since the calories burned number from cardio machines vary so wildly I feel like it’s probably not worth it. The weight training input seems pointless and isn’t very well done IMO. I’ve got JEFIT for that specifically.
If you are not exercising very much, simply set it to know exercise. If you are exercising very hard then simply set it to light exercise. All the calorie calculations for exercise, whether it's the cardio machines or the apps, way overestimate the calories burned.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Good advice, either ignore it or under-estimate/err on the low side for exercise cals.

My rule of thumb for walking/running is 100 cals/mile. Probably a bit low for a 5'10" 180+ pound male, but again, I like to be under on the estimate anyway.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The elliptical usually comes in at the low 300s for 30 minutes and the bike at mid 200s for 30 minutes. I figure it’s probably closer to 350-400 total between the two.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
Imo, counting calories needs to die a swift and merciful death. Eat to satiety. If the objective is losing fat, eat fat. It's the quality of calories that matter.

I’m just trying to get an idea off how much I’m taking in each day on average.

absolutely valid. I would think there are apps specific to keto for macro management and awareness of the "creepy carbs and sneaky sugars".

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post