SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Air bus A-380 jet
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air bus A-380 jet Login/Join 
posted
Has anyone here taken a ride on one ?
How was it ? glorious ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Here's a video I watched a couple weeks ago of an Etihad A380 flight in First Class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R2sOr6vZqo

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cool video.

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just another tin can, from the back.
DFW-Beijing - at least I had 3 seats to myself.
I dislike the auto-darkening windows - never get dark enough on the sun-ward side.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Here's a video I watched a couple weeks ago of an Etihad A380 flight in First Class:

I saw dirt under Mr. Chuis' thumb nail there. If you're going to travel first class....

What's up with the Air Bus having 4 engines, which I like, when all the 747s are going 2 engines? I'd like to ride a 4 engine please.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
when all the 747s are going 2 engines?

Cost cutting?? Are they removing two engines??? Confused

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
quote:

I saw dirt under Mr. Chuis' thumb nail there. If you're going to travel first class....

What's up with the Air Bus having 4 engines, which I like, when all the 747s are going 2 engines? I'd like to ride a 4 engine please.

I don't think the 747s are going down to 2 engines, I think they're being phased out and replaced with A330's and B777s.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9695 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
when all the 747s are going 2 engines?

Cost cutting?? Are they removing two engines??? Confused

Last I heard/read, Boeing is discontinuing passenger 747 production & moving to only 747F models. Frown
777 & 787 taking over the 747 routes as they retire I suppose.

My office is about 1.5 miles from the departure end of the runway at IAH. Our lab actually had to not do some testing during typical int'l departures, as the 747 & A380 can rattle the walls in our building.
On a really overcast day, it looks like you could nearly reach up & spin the wheels on the A380 as it passes overhead.

IMO, aesthetically, the A380 doesn't come close to the 747 from the outside.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no aeronautical engineer, but I can't imagine Boeing dropping two of the 747's four engines at this stage of its career. It's near retirement/death bed with just a handful of orders.

As for the A380, haven't been on one yet. I did fly the 787 last fall and it's pretty quiet. But like coach on any other airline, it's all the same.

P229

Posts: 3833 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a big airplane with A LOT of people onboard.

It's one of the more modern planes out there and depending on which airline you fly, has the modern amenities. Did I mention the amount of people it can carry, imagine a international flight 12+ hours...

If given a choice, I prefer to fly the 787 and 777, however the Airbus' I've yet to encounter a bad experience.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In High school we had to write down ten life goals , for an assignment .

I have done 8 of them .

# 9 was to fly the S.S. T. concorde to france to see the Louvre.

perhaps I can do the A-380 now instead

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
In High school we had to write down ten life goals , for an assignment .

I have done 8 of them .

# 9 was to fly the S.S. T. concorde to france to see the Louvre.

perhaps I can do the A-380 now instead

Flying on Concorde and attending a live Shuttle launch were both on mine. Sadly, both no longer doable.

Posts: 15342 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Flew in a 787 recently LAX-Dublin-Addis Ababa and return. For an extremely long flight (10 + 7 hours, return 11 + 7 hours) in coach it was remarkably comfortable. I had an aisle seat. Pitch I believe 32 inches, which is quite good; seat reclines quite a bit. Overhead luggage space remarkably capacious which contributed a lot to the comfort of the flight. Did not need to use noise-canceling headphones.

I don't like the idea of getting on and off a huge A380 with many hundreds of other passengers. Also as per Boeing plans, the 787 Dreamliner allows direct long flights rather than relying on hubs.

Posts: 18074 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That's how I want to travel!! Big Grin

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
I have flown them a few times from Frankfurt Germany to Houston on Lufthansa. They are a nice ride, smooth and comfortable enough. I sat on the isle. It did load and unload pretty quickly.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the A380 uses 2 loading paths? I think IAH only has 1 or 2 A380 compatible gates, and they're visible as you round the east end of the airport.

I imagine that would contribute to ease of loading/unloading of passengers. At least until the airlines take the boss' advice & switch to loading us all on in tubes.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
mrs tac and I just flew from SF to LHR on a new United Boeing Dreamliner. I had great fun playing with the electrically-dimming window...the test of the plane was just drop-dead gorgeous - we loved it. Watching that beautiful wing curving up to the tip was a caution, I admit.

Never been on a 380, though. My nephew helps build the wings at BAe/Airbus Industrie Broughton in North Wales. I guess that's as near as I'm ever going to get,

tac

Posts: 11331 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:

I just realized of all the 1st class flights I was on, they were NOT really 1st Class!
Excpt for Cathay Pacific NY- Taipei, even that was nowhere near this!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8361 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As someone who waited 24 years for a ride on a 747, sorry to burst the bubble but it isn't anything more than another wide body airliner that is just a pain to board/disembark unless you're in first class on one of the middle east carriers.

Posts: 2195 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I shall never again be satisfied with the cattle drive into a tin sewer pipe

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post