SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Monitizing YouTube
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monitizing YouTube Login/Join 
posted
Couple of YouTube threads have gotten me thinking. Has anyone here actually made money (ad revenue) posting videos?

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Some people make a good living from it.

Not a member, but Hickock45, comes to mind.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Didn't Youtube recently cut off all gun video channels from monetization?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
not much money to be made with youtube right now, google cut ad sharing down a few months back and people are seeing 20-30 percent of what they used to.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not easy. You need a huge subscriber base. I had a buddy who had a decent sized youtube channel, with close to 10k subs. I think the most he made in a month was like $30 and that was from adsense.

Once you get to 100k+ I think you can become a Youtube partner and that's when they start to pay you per vid. The amount can vary but obviously the biggest channels do very very well for themselves.

Most of the de-monetized channels have turned to sponsorships from companies as well as Patreon donations from dedicated viewers.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
not much money to be made with youtube right now, google cut ad sharing down a few months back and people are seeing 20-30 percent of what they used to.

Remember that the adpocalypse was started by the mainstream media who began writing hit pieces on youtube channels and pressuring advertisers to leave youtube (if newspapers can get ad revenue, why should they, right?). That caused a kneejerk reaction by youtube to demonetize a bunch of videos.

So the loss of advertisers, changing the algorithm to demonetize are both parts of the current situation.

Print media is primarily to blame for this IMHO.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I absolutely can't stand PewDiePie's content, but the sheep that watch him earned him something like $7mm in 2015.

Instagram is kinda the same. People get paid to promote products so a lot of photos are people posing with, wearing, or consuming products. I've heard of people getting multi-thousand dollar payouts from individual brands to hawk their products.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18025 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile Rob Ski over at AK Operators' Union 47-74 was apparently making no more than gas and ammo money from one of the more popular gun-oriented sites out there.

I guess tapping into the kiddie market is the secret to success?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post