SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Connecting flight in Charlotte from Mexico to Boston-luggage question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Connecting flight in Charlotte from Mexico to Boston-luggage question Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I have a flight from Cancun to Boston with a connection in Charlotte. American Airlines. Will I need to go to baggage claim, get bags and recheck?

This happened to me at JFK from Punta Cana and the delay made us miss our connection. I don’t know if this is standard or just a JFK thing.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what responses you get here, you should probably ask American Airlines... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I have a flight from Cancun to Boston with a connection in Charlotte. American Airlines. Will I need to go to baggage claim, get bags and recheck?...

My opinion: You'll have to claim your bags and clear customs at CLT. Very close by should be a quick drop off to send your bags to Boston. You will probably have to go thru a TSA checkpoint once you drop off your bags.

Disclaimer: I've never used CLT and do not fly American.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no pre-clearance for US customs in Mexico. You will have to clear customs in NC. This will involve claiming and re-dropping your checked bags.

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
I have a flight from Cancun to Boston with a connection in Charlotte. American Airlines. Will I need to go to baggage claim, get bags and recheck?...

My opinion: You'll have to claim your bags and clear customs at CLT. Very close by should be a quick drop off to send your bags to Boston. You will probably have to go thru a TSA checkpoint once you drop off your bags.

Disclaimer: I've never used CLT and do not fly American.

I agree with this. We do it regularly in Texas when we travel to Mx due to our connecting flights as well. You move along efficiently and it should be no problem.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep my guess as well. I have flown through CHarlotte and the process is quick or slow depending on the time of day and how many other flights are going through customs. It may take longer if you look kind of sketchy. LOL

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's too late for you, but clearing customs goes a LOT faster (at least at ORD) if you have Global Entry. For $100/five years, Global Entry includes TSA Pre check, the fast lane outbound (in the states only).

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/

We just renewed Global Entry, it was a snap with a Zoom interview. New applications are likely to take months, and you'll need to set up an in-person interview.

Alternate solution for clearing customs, it's an app that speeds up re-entry:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-...ile-passport-control

Our daughter has used Mobile Passport at ORD and she once beat us to baggage claim. I do not think there is an application process like Global Entry, just load it and enter passport and flight info.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
We applied for global entry a long time ago and have never had the chance for the stupid interview.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12438 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Global Entry is the best money I ever spent and I'm often out of customs and on my way in less than five min. from walking off the plane. But it does nothing for rechecking bags and going through security again. Just did it in MIA, coming back from Peru a few weeks ago. No fast-track TSA Pre line after rechecking bags. I had to wait in line with the peasants and it was a close shave to make that next flight to PHX.

Posts: 3538 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
We have almost 2 hours to make it. It should be enough, but one delay can ruin everything. Luckily it’s on our way home so if things go bad, we just get home later and don’t actually miss any of our vacation. I wish I could get the global entry interview, but they never seem to be open when we are arriving. I also don’t think there’s any place to schedule an interview right now.

These go to eleven.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Regardless of what responses you get here, you should probably ask American Airlines... Wink

FFS, right...how the hell should we know?

In a lot of cases you HAVE to grab bags at your first point of entry for customs...but sometimes not.

Coming back from overseas many times I've had to grab my bags, but in some cases I did not until my final destination.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

Are you serious or did you miss a smiley emoji? This is sigforum. I could put a picture of a mud covered rivet on here and find out the brand, size and style of jeans pocket it came from in 10 minutes. Sigforum knows all. I assume people familiar with Charlotte airport may be on the forum. Not to mention I got plenty of answers that it’s pretty standard to recheck. So that’s how the hell you know.

Regarding asking the airline…. Yeah I’m sure a quick phone call and they’ll let me know. Or more likely I’ll be caller number 49 and have a 2 hour wait and then get hung up on.

These go to eleven.

It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
If you can’t clear US Customs at the airport in Mexico you depart from, by law you have to clear C&I and collect your luggage at the first US airport you arrive at, then re-check it if that airport isn’t your final destination.

It isn’t airline or airport dependent. I’ve done it lots of times at Miami and Dallas-Fort Worth. Two hours should be enough time.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
If you can’t clear US Customs at the airport in Mexico you depart from, by law you have to clear C&I and collect your luggage at the first US airport you arrive at, then re-check it if that airport isn’t your final destination.

It isn’t airline or airport dependent. I’ve done it lots of times at Miami and Dallas-Fort Worth. Two hours should be enough time.

Makes sense. Thanks for the info. Last time at JFk my flight was late then my luggage got hung up and they had to search for it. As long as things don’t go bad it should be fine.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
Pro tip for easy flying on any airline is carry on only, you always know where your stuff is. I worked for AA in Tulsa Heavy Maintenance for 35yrs and flew all over on standby. You can be very flexible with no checked bags. Just ask all the SW flyers over the last week........

Its always a pain coming from an International destination , you will go through customs. Pick up a bottle of El Secreto Tequila , very good sipping not imported out of Mexico.

Posts: 449 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Did i mention I’m traveling with the wife?

Thanks for the Tequila tip. I did get authentic Cuban rum in Punta Cana.

These go to eleven.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:

Are you serious or did you miss a smiley emoji? This is sigforum. I could put a picture of a mud covered rivet on here and find out the brand, size and style of jeans pocket it came from in 10 minutes. Sigforum knows all. I assume people familiar with Charlotte airport may be on the forum. Not to mention I got plenty of answers that it’s pretty standard to recheck. So that’s how the hell you know.

Regarding asking the airline…. Yeah I’m sure a quick phone call and they’ll let me know. Or more likely I’ll be caller number 49 and have a 2 hour wait and then get hung up on.

Eah, I was smiling when I typed it. And I agree, anything can be asked on Sigforum, wouldn't say that means it SHOULD be asked here.

"Is tonight the night I try to put it in my wife's ass?"

Some things can, and SHOULD, be answered by those holding the proper authority.

Smile Big Grin Razz Cool Wink Eek <_ All the cool emojis so no one gets their feelings hurt.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
^^^

Well damn I guess I won’t post the next thread question I was about to ask. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Wife and I went to St Lucia for our honeymoon in October 2021. Flight home was St Lucia to Atlanta to Philly. Atlanta is a massive airport.

We were supposed to have an hour and a half to get to our connecting flight but it was shortened to about an hour due to changing arrival terminals to terminal E and no crew to park the plane for over 30 minutes.

We were speed walking and jogging to get our bags at the terminal E baggage claim and then get to terminal F (because that is the international terminal and that's where customs is), go through customs, drop bags off and then go through a TSA checkpoint. Then we had to take the tram from terminal F to terminal B. We got to the connecting flight gate towards the end of boarding.

The only thing that saved us a few minutes was there was no line at the TSA checkpoint and they ended up just scanning bags, no one had to take shoes or belts off regardless of pre-check status (we have pre-check).

I've never been to CLT airport but my guess is that with 2 hours you shouldn't have a problem and with my experience in ATL you will have some wiggle room.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Depends on where you clear customs, Cancun or CLT, coming back from Vancouver we cleared customs in Vancouver, connections in SLC on the way to MCO and didn't have to collect bags and go through customs.

Note, checked CBP web page, Mexico has no CBP Preclearance stations.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/preclearance

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post