SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TV Streaming on Starlink?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV Streaming on Starlink? Login/Join 
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted
Can you suggest a great way to stream TV programming on a non-smart TV, using my new Starlink service? I needed internet connectivity which Starlink has in spades, and was wondering what you would recommend for the boob tube piece. No antenna signal available for me. and I don't follow any specific programs anymore, at least since the Sopranos was done... TIA.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We are using an Amazon Firestick for everything.

Posts: 12924 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
We are using an Amazon Firestick for everything.

Thanks Jeff, I'll look into one of those...

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a fire cube because I am lazy and rather talk to it than use a remote.

There is also Apple TV more pricey and Roku.

I am invested in the Amazon ecosystem so I went firestick/firecube.

Stand alone Roku is a strong contender.

If you are into the apple ecosystem Apple TV is a good choice.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I use a Roku stick for streaming and started to travel with it.

Posts: 2964 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I use an Apple TV. Works quite well.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
The answer depends on you....

Are you deep into the Amazon ecosystem? Are you a Prime member? Then the Fire Stick 4K might be your answer.

Would you prefer a very simple UI with little to no bloat? Then a Roku Streaming Stick 4K might be your answer.

Personally, I've tried them all and prefer the Google Chromecast with Android TV device. I prefer the interface over the rest, and its fast.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
We also have Starlink. A majority of our viewing goes though Roku which can provide 4k content to our OLED TV.

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
what about Fubo Tv?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
what about Fubo Tv?

I can get FUBO TV with my firestick. Another vote for the firestick. I have previously used Apple tv and Roku and I much prefer Amazon.

Posts: 124 | Location: Oro Valley, Arizona | Registered: January 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Wait, so you all are saying you can stream on Starlink???

Does bandwidth support multiple streaming devices like HDTV, a computer/tablet, and two phones?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
My starlink is typically 100MB/s download, 20MB/s upload. Sometimes in evening it drops to 25MB/s down, 5 MB/s up. Still enought for phones, PCs and 4k steaming. Way better than Comcast was

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
what about Fubo Tv?
You're conflating services with devices. Fire Stick, Roku, and Chromecast with Android TV are all 'devices' that allow for streaming. YouTube TV, Fubo, Sling, are all streaming 'services'. You have to have a 'device' to utilize a 'service'.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Apple TV HD here (the older device, not the 4K).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
use a Roku stick for over four years

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Roku hands down, it's very easy to set up and use and the interface is very good.

I started off with the Roku boxes in 2014, then the HDMI stick and now have a TCL Roku TV with it all integrated right into the TV and love it.

How does Roku work?

OP, you just need this and a Wi-Fi connection, I'm going to assume your TV has an HDMI port you could use?

Roku Streaming Stick

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
Apple TV #1
Roku #2

I had nothing but trouble with Amazon Firesticks and replaced them all with Apple TV.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1737 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swampdog
posted Hide Post
I beta tested the original Roku and used them for years until switching to Apple TV’s for the last 7 years.

As everyone has already mentioned the three main devices most people use are the Roku, Fire devices (Amazon), and the Apple TV. All 3 are solid and all do the basic job of running the apps from the content studios. They all have access to the same major streamers content apps, so while it makes since if you don’t use Apple products but are heavily invested in Amazons stuff, maybe the fire stick/cube is more advantageous and your purchases can sync straight to the device. Similarly, if you have an Apple account because of iPhone, iPad, Mac then setting up an Apple TV is as simple as holding the phone over the device and it syncs with your account and you can choose to give it access to your photos, music, etc if you want and purchases just charge to your Apple account.

With that being said, I have no problems watching my Amazon prime content on my Apple TV and Fire devices users also have access to their Apple TV services or iTunes purchases on their device through the Apple TV app. And of course Roku also have the same apps as well.

As bigdeal mentioned above, once you choose your streaming device, you just have to choose what services you want to pay for. If you are looking for live tv you are looking at YouTube tv, Hulu +tv, Sling, Philo or Fubo TV. Read up on each for their offerings. There also some free tv options as well (more limited then the full paid live tv options I mentioned) which you can read more about HERE.

Other than that there’s a plethora of movie services to choose from such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Apple TV, Disney +, along with almost any major network has their own streaming service. You just go to the website of whichever you want to sign up for and make an account and then download the app for that service on your device and sign in. You can turn any of them off and on at will by canceling or restarting your service at each. Also remember you are paying for these services, and the tv devices are simply streaming the content. You can also download the apps for each on your phone, tablet, or sign into the website for each and stream from their websites if you are on your computer or on the road. You can also bring your device on the road with you as well. All are options.

Posts: 588 | Location: Colorado via South Louisiana | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Good information here. I'm jumping in just so I can find it again.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5046 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks Big deal. Show's i do not know to much about much of this.
Being a long time Direct TV user I might be a candidate to do something different.

Nothing amazon for me. I have an older apple Ipad but do not use it much as I do not find it intuitive to use.

Have an android smart phone.

I am thinking Roku but do not what to get sucked into a bunch of apps either. I think we spend about $130 a month on direct tv.

Getting the live Mariner baseball games on rootsports is a big factor. I believe fobutv does it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post