SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    GA Legislature getting things done (Critical Race Theory)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GA Legislature getting things done (Critical Race Theory) Login/Join 
Picture of Shaql
posted
First they've advanced Constiutional Carry. Now they moving on Critical Race Theory!

Link

A Georgia education committee has advanced a bill prohibiting K-12 schools from promoting certain ideologies about racism and discrimination.

The House Subcommittee on Academic Innovation approved House Bill 1084 on Wednesday. The measure, introduced by Rep. Will Wade R-Dawsonville, bans nine "divisive" concepts from being taught in schools.

"What this does is it empowers parents to ensure that kids and children in our schools of all races are not pitted against each other," Wade said. "I also believe that teachers do want some direction because it is hard to teach to ensure that they are not inadvertently causing children to believe that somehow that they are a problem."

The bill, which is modeled after legislation filed by Republicans in several states, is in response to the issue of critical race theory. The theory is centered around the idea that race is a social construct used to oppress people of color.

HB 1084 prohibits schools from teaching race superiority and that people and the country are inherently racist or sexist. It blocks schools from teaching students to stereotype others as morally corrupt or prejudiced based on their skin color.

The measure also stops schools from making students "feel guilt or anguish" because of their race or actions of others of the same race in the past. It blocks schools from encouraging any form of "race scapegoating" or "race stereotyping."

HB 1084 instructs school districts to create a process for parents to file complaints opposing coursework based on the concepts.

Critics of the bill who spoke Wednesday during the committee meeting said it does not address an urgent matter or existing issue, and lawmakers should use their time at the Capitol working on other education policies. Others said it was a local issue that should be discussed by school districts and lawmakers should trust educators who are experts in their fields.

Michael Bernstein, an Alpharetta rabbi, said children must get honest lessons on racism that make a deep impact.

"You have to understand and let that history penetrate you," Bernstein said. "I think the best way to accomplish what you have talked about being one human race is that we have to teach honestly about the poison of racism."

HB 1084 heads to the full education committee for a vote. It must be approved in the Senate and House before it is sent to the governor.

A similar measure, Senate Bill 377, was discussed by the Senate Education and Youth Committee on Monday.

The House Judiciary Non-Civil Service Subcommittee also gave an initial nod to Senate Bill 226, a measure that would require school districts to create a process for parents to complain about school library books they find inappropriate or "harmful to minors" in a sexual nature, paving the way for the books to be removed.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael Bernstein, an Alpharetta rabbi, said children must get honest lessons on racism that make a deep impact.

"You have to understand and let that history penetrate you," Bernstein said. "I think the best way to accomplish what you have talked about being one human race is that we have to teach honestly about the poison of racism."
People like this need to practice the lost art of STHU. Racism, like many topics facing children, is complex and nuanced. It requires an ability to reason rationally to fully understand. Currently, a majority of public school students can't read, or do math, or have even a basic grasp of science, history, or civics but instead of filling those voids in students mental development to bring them to a point where they can reason their way through subjects, the approach should be to indoctrinate borderline illiterate students on these topics while offering them virtually nothing of value when it comes to basic education?

Personally I don't think this law in Georgia or similar approaches in Florida go far enough. The legislation should dictate that only reading, writing, math, and basic science, history, and civics should be taught to students. No CRT, no race baiting, no sex ed, none of the BS topics that liberals have pushed into schools. Get back to the basics and push for students to perform in those subjects.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The rabbi knows that to the CRT, he is also the enemy because he is white. He's the very kind that led his people into camps.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34119 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Based on comments from teachers, it sounds like laws such as this really don't do much. They still get to do what they want.

Add video cameras to all the classrooms in the public schools and make it easy and free for the public to see all videos. Let parents see exactly what's being presented by the teachers.

Posts: 2368 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
'lawmakers should trust educators who are experts in their fields.'

ummm... Roll Eyes no

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Based on comments from teachers, it sounds like laws such as this really don't do much.
It puts them on notice, and they will know it is a law.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Based on comments from teachers, it sounds like laws such as this really don't do much. They still get to do what they want.

Add video cameras to all the classrooms in the public schools and make it easy and free for the public to see all videos. Let parents see exactly what's being presented by the teachers.

Everyone says "you can't ban it, it's woven throughout the curriculum".

I say you gotta start somewhere.

I also think public schools should have cameras in the classrooms and that public teachers should wear body cameras.

They are public employees who deal with the public (a very vulnerable and impressionable segment at that) so if they are necessary on police officers, they are necessary on public teachers.

And the curriculum in public schools? On the web where every parent who sends a child to that school can read it. No, screw that, so everyone who pays taxes regardless on whether or not they send kids to school can read it.

After what has come out in the past two years I have ZERO trust in a public school teacher.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post