SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Veterinarians / Pet owners- please take a look at this photo of my cat and tell me what what you think is going on
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veterinarians / Pet owners- please take a look at this photo of my cat and tell me what what you think is going on Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Same thing happened to my black kitty Black. Vet said to give him allergy medicine, it worked. Came back a couple of times after that the allergy medicine worked again. His was slightly less swollen, but other than that looked exactly the same.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the responses.

This morning, the new swelling has subsided almost completely- much faster than the first time.

Yes, she has plastic water and food dishes- the same ones she's had for 11 years.

For the most part, she seems to leave these swollen lids alone, although she will rub at it from time to time.

I considered mites. The jury's still out on that one.

The fact that its only one eye or the other leads me to believe that it's not an allergic reaction, although it certainty could be despite the very localized reaction.

As I said, our initial impression was a bug bite, most likely a spider.

The litter get replaced, then we'll see what happens. The key thing is that other than a swollen lid, Ava exhibits no symptoms.

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I was told by my vet that the exact same looking swelling was from allergic reaction. Only affected right eye. So it is possible to be allergies.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Unlikely it’s mites if it subsides and shifts locations. That tends to stick around, and while the body formulates a defense and tries to maintain, your kitty would likely be grooming that área excessively- or at least to the point that you or your wife might notice and comment on. If everything calms down that quickly, it’s an immediate insult that her immune system addresses and resolves.
Maybe send a note to slabsides. I really think he’s the member you’d get the best info from. My background is as a bird, dog, exotic cvt, haven’t done much with pet cats, just the big ones.
Hopefully it’s nbd.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the picture and description the best I can do is a contact dermatitis. Bug, spider, or environmental. Most of the time I don't get the luxury of ever knowing. If it were allergic it would be most likely itchy.

Nothing wrong with using cortisone cream in kitties. Might clear it up a little quicker.

Tommy aka a veterinarian

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Allergic reaction to a flea bite?
Hope the poor critter improves shortly.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of keltoi
posted Hide Post
My cat had a similar problem with an infected upper lid from her scratching and nicking the lid with her back foot nails. Antibiotics did clear it up.

Posts: 630 | Location:  | Registered: December 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Looks just like my black kitty. Get stung by something maybe?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Our indoor cat had similar symptoms. The vet said it was most likely a reaction to a house plant. The cat loved to poke around any potted house plant. Got rid of the plants and she never had the issue again.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post