SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gander: This Canadian airport sheltered 7,000 people on 9/11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gander: This Canadian airport sheltered 7,000 people on 9/11 Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
A few days late, but maybe interesting to some.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/art...rt-canada/index.html

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39229 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was happy my wife and I were in Montreal at the Hilton. On 9/11 we were on a Aeroflot flight from Moscow to OHare. Our plane was diverted to Montreal and Aeroflot paid for all expenses at the Montreal airport Hilton including meals.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4337 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I remember this. Beverly Bass, American Airlines very 1st female Captain, landed her Paris-New York jet there. She and the other pilots inspired the story Come From Away.

I remember this because of her story of having to fight for the chance to become a woman pilot for Americsn Airlines and then fight to become a Captain. Very inspiring story.

You can google Beverly Bass and learn her story. It’s fascinating.

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Gander has a more depressing history as well.

Posts: 20564 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a documentary show on that a few years ago (not the Apple TV on referenced in this article.) It was a very interesting show, worth watching if you can find it. It was on a cable tv station but I have no idea which one.

One of the biggest challenges was where to park all the planes - and they just kept on coming.

Posts: 617 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Halifax international had 40 planes on the ground - all parked on Runway 15-33 leaving the longer 06-24 open. Also the gates were clear. I think Halifax hosted about 8000 passengers. My family had hosted a few families with a place to stay for a few days.

Posts: 53786 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
One of my coworkers was on a plane that diverted there.

Developed very tight relationship with some of the people there and has returned visit several times.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
I saw a documentary show on that a few years ago (not the Apple TV on referenced in this article.) It was a very interesting show, worth watching if you can find it. It was on a cable tv station but I have no idea which one.
60 Minutes did a story on it.

Posts: 3262 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I read this book a few years back. It's a great story about some great folks.

Posts: 6568 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Do share.

Posts: 3265 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

Do share.

https://www.armytimes.com/news...killed-248-soldiers/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_Air_Flight_1285R

Posts: 20564 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought that "Gander" sounded familiar. It has been years since I thought of that crash.

It very sad to read about the "survivor's guilt" of the fellow soldiers.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We went to Newfoundland in our camper 2 years ago and found the place fascinating. It has a rich and diverse history including some WW2 significance as well as the 911 events.

I even bought a book written by a local school teacher who did a fantastic job recreating the events of the day. One of the interesting stories was that as you probably know, many of the passengers were taken in by local families as there just was no place to house these people. Many became friends with their hosts and one gentleman in particular was invited to go Moose hunting with his host… the problem was that the plane he was on was given permission to complete their flight back to the states but the pilot had to account for all his passengers so the plane could not return until the guy got back from his moose hunt…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6469 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post