SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shade Tree Q/A - Help Pick/Plant new tree(s)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shade Tree Q/A - Help Pick/Plant new tree(s) Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted
My house is located on a small lot. I have 5 large mature 45 year old pines to far west of my lot. Between those and my house are 1 Silver Maple, and 2 Ash trees. All about 40 years old. Pines are all in line north to south, and the maple and ash are as well. The maple is far north. Our deck faces west, and is shaded mainly by the ash and maple trees. The southernmost ash is beat up somewhat, been hit by lightning and lost a large limb but it still leaves out every year. The ash bore beetle is in our region as of last fall. I have been treating my ash trees for the last 4 years, and I have no sign the bug yet. I am concerned that the Ashes are likely to be taken by this bug and just want to plan for worst case scenario. I would like to start planting shade trees to replace the ash trees.

I want a quick growing tree that will provide shade for our deck and house. I am thinking northern red oak possibly. Our silver maple is nice but the amount of helicopters it drops every year is crazy. I would like to avoid that if possible. I would consider removing the ash tree but would prefer to leave it until I have to remove it. I would also consider having a more mature tree brought in and transplanted in my lawn if feasible. I can provide pictures of my lawn if that will help. What trees would you suggest and why?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xantom,

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1732 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
FYI my tree guy said maples will leaf out and continue to grow even as they die. I was surprised to see the huge cavity inside of it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Was considering sugar maple myself, but am going with tulip poplar. Not sure if that works in your grow zone.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5646 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Autumn Blaze Maple. Grows fast, absolutely beautiful.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Tulip poplar grows like a weed, but it isn't very strong and I wouldn't want it too close to the house.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
FYI my tree guy said maples will leaf out and continue to grow even as they die. I was surprised to see the huge cavity inside of it.

Thinking now I might just plant 3 trees as a contingency plan for that one being gone too. It's been pruned and cabled.

Posts: 1732 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will check that out, I am in zone 4 BTW.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If the Ash borer is in your area, it is just a matter of time I’m afraid. If it isn’t a straight drop without impacting any structures, I’d have it removed at the first sign of decline. Many arborists won’t climb them after they’re dead.

You’re at the northern edge of its range, but ask around and see if American Sycamores do well there. They grow fairly quickly if water is available and make decent shade.

Avoid tulip poplars; they rain sap like you wouldn’t believe in addition to being brittle in strong winds.

Sugar maples might be a good choice- they handle the cold well and are fairly sturdy trees.

Last, also at the northern edge of its range is the Hackberry. Fast growers, decent shade, pretty rugged.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have an upright willow tree near my deck. It is a beautiful, well shaped shade tree. The downside is it's a little dirty at times.

A few years ago, a violent wind tore a major limb out of the center of the tree. I took my chainsaw to the remaining tree and cut it way back. A few years later it had filled out again and has second life. I wish I had planted more of these on my 5 acres.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Here is an Autumn Blaze Maple (we think--it might be Autumn Glory) that was planted in the summer of 2002. This photo was taken in July, 2003. (Yes, that's your's truly putting in that path.)

My wife says that tree was about ten (10) years old when we bought it from the nursery.

Here's that same tree today:

The Autumn Blaze does create "helocopters," but not nearly as badly as many other maples.

On the right is a River Clump Birch we had planted in mid-summer of 2010. This photo, from October 2011 was the earliest I could find.

Here's that same tree, today:

In all photos I tried to retain the perspective as well as I possibly could.

Btw: In the two birch photos: The new barn is significantly bigger than was the old one.

Whatever you get, make sure it's planted properly (even "pros" often get it wrong) and watered-in well. Also, if it's just a sapling, make sure to protect it from deer! And remember the new tree mantra: In the first year they sleep, in the second they creep, in the third they leap. So don't expect miracles right out of the gate.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful landscaping and lawn ensigmatic.

What's it like to not have voracious deer destroying everything you put into the ground?

I have grown to despise those vile creatures.

OP: I would suggest poplars for fast growing, but they do have their issues. Birch as well. I put in a paper birch about five years ago that looked like a stick. It's now at least 15 ft tall.

Black locusts are a very fast growing hardwood as well. I put in a bunch because their blossoms are very fragrant, and as a beekeeper, they make the best honey there is IMO. Again, planted them as sticks two years ago and now they are close to 15 ft and filling out nicely. They do have some pretty nasty and very sharp thorns on them though, so that might be an issue for you.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Was considering sugar maple myself, but am going with tulip poplar. Not sure if that works in your grow zone.

We just had one of those removed two seasons ago.

First a storm came along and topped it. Then my wife found:

• They're brittle
  • They grow to be in the range of 100 feet tall!

It was 40-50 NW of the house. Prevailing storm winds here are out of the NW.

It was a beautiful tree, particularly when it bloomed. But it was far too dangerous to have that close to the house.

They are fast growers, though.

Here's the tree in 2005, over there on the right, when we were having a dangerous oak removed.

Here's that same tree in 2014, only nine (9) years later, after it'd been topped by a severe storm.

We had a tree crew out to have that professionally remediated.

Here it is, again, in 2017, being removed.

We really hated to do it. We love trees and that was a truly pretty tree--even after being topped by the storm. But too dangerous.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Beautiful landscaping and lawn ensigmatic.

Thank you. That's mostly my wife's work Smile 'Cept the lawn. The lawn's my work. And I do the tree and shrub trimming. (Those latter two under supervision from my wife. She's the "growing things" expert around here. Except for the lawn.)

quote:
What's it like to not have voracious deer destroying everything you put into the ground?

We wouldn't know. They're a constant threat around here.

quote:
I have grown to despise those vile creatures.

I don't hunt. Discharge of firearms isn't allowed here and houses behind us are too close. But were it not for those last two items I'd be camped out in a pop-up blind on the patio with my Rem. 700 waiting for them.

quote:
I put in a paper birch about five years ago that looked like a stick. It's now at least 15 ft tall.

We have one of those, too. Very pretty bark on those trees. Ours isn't getting all that big, though. Probably because it's heavily-shaded by the surroundings.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

They are unbelievable around these parts. I've even had them up on my deck eating my flowers!

Trees, shrubs, flowers, you name it they destroy it unless fenced out. Even then I've had them tear down the fencing to get at the food.

The only things that I've found that they won't touch are lavendars and bleeding hearts. So, I have a fair amount of those planted around the place.

I've entertained installing a fence around the yard, but I'd really hate to lose my view. Trade-off I suppose.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, DO NOT plant a Magnolia tree!

They are nice looking but holy crap are they a messy tree. I'm out every other month raking up a shit ton of leaves/cones/blossom petals/seed pods/etc plus it sheds twigs and branches like crazy.

If my wife wouldn't murder me, I'd have it cut down tomorrow!

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

They are unbelievable around these parts. I've even had them up on my deck eating my flowers!

We've had 'em up on the patio going after the potted plants. They regularly raid he bird feeders when they're up.

This year my wife found something that appears to work: Repels-All. She spread the granules 2-3' wide around her gardens and sprayed the vegetation with the liquid version. Amazingly: It appeared to work. I'd see the deer trigger the surveillance cameras walking by our yard, but nothing was getting eaten.

New plant growth got a touch-ups with the liquid.

It was supposed to last three months, that treatment. It lasted one.

quote:
I've entertained installing a fence around the yard, but I'd really hate to lose my view.

That would be impractical in our yard. Not to mention hideously expensive. We have about 20,000 to 25,000 square feet of manicured property.

I'm thinkin' of hauling one of my paintball guns out of storage. Maybe surprising them with some paintball hits will encourage them to go elsewhere. New next door neighbour, who at first thought they were "cute" now hates them. He says he's buyin' a quad-copter and gonna chase 'em with that.

I'm told we've another neighbour that feeds them. That is against state law. If I find out that's true I'm going to have to have a word with them about that.

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is an Autumn Blaze Maple (we think--it might be Autumn Glory) that was planted in the summer of 2002. This photo was taken in July, 2003. (Yes, that's your's truly putting in that path.)

Very nice work!

PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
River Birch and willows are invasive with their roots. Keep them away from your septic lines.

Some of the maple cultivars are very nice. I’ve got an autumn flame and a brandywine. October glory and autumn blaze are popular as well. But silver maples don’t offer very much to me. Their roots are shallow and they are void of meaningful fall color. Respectfully, I consider them a trash tree.

Check out your zone but Dawn Redwood fills a lot of boxes for me and absolutely nothing grows faster. I can buy a 3-4 tree locally for $25 and it puts on 3 feet a year. Easily. Mature height is 70’ with a 25’ spread. It’s a deciduous conifer. Nice golden color. It’s my favorite. I’ve got 5 of them.

Also have a burgundy blush sweet gum. It’s devoid of the spiky fruit balls which fall to the ground.

Got a shumard oak that was here when I moved in. It’s color is ok. Health is great. But like many oaks it holds onto it’s dead leaves until the following spring. Not the fastest grower and I think there are better red oaks out there. But it’s too nice of a tree and it’s staying.

I also like Tulip poplars and may replace my willow with one. It’s always had temperamental health. Meh.

Lots of wonderful choices....

But if anyone says Bradford Pear kick them in the nuts and thank me later.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Autumn Blaze Maple seems to be the tree that most people around here are planting. I talked to my nursery and they want about $400 per tree, and another $100 to plant. They are 25 square foot trees. From what I can tell they are about 15' tall.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinkin' of hauling one of my paintball guns out of storage. Maybe surprising them with some paintball hits will encourage them to go elsewhere.

Other than the fun involved, don't bother. I used to hit them with blunt tipped arrows. For two years, every time I saw one in the yard I'd nail them right in the chest. These weren't wimpy hits either. 340ft/sec out of a compound bow. Enough to break ribs. I beat the hell out of them, but yet...back they came.

Mad

I've considered crucifying one and leaving it there to scare them off. Big Grin