SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Concrete patio load capacity?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concrete patio load capacity? Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
We have a concrete patio that was poured a few months ago, it’s 10’x13’ and it’s 3 1/2” thick with 3/8” rebar throughout and has about 6” of compacted gravel underneath it. Does anyone know if that would hold a 7’x7’ 610 gallon (5087lbs) kiddy pool without issues?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: techguy,

Posts: 1784 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'd think so. I've run plenty of 5,000 pound safes across patios without issue.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That works out to about 8.7 pounds per square inch. Assuming you have at least 3500 psi concrete you should be fine, as long as the sub base was properly compacted and hasn’t settled or eroded.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a situation where that gravel "foundation" is critical and being so recently installed may indicate that it hasn't had time to stabilize. I would suggest that you call the contractor who installed your patio and ask them. If they give you a thumbs up you are good to go. If they give you a thumbs down then listen to them and put the pool in your yard on the grass and deal with the pool dot down the road.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5770 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Ha, the pool now weighs more than it did when I first read your post. As I recall, it was 500 gallons and a little over 4,000lbs.

The psi rating and rebar are practically irrelevant to your question. Concrete slabs will crack under their own weight. They cut slabs in an attempt to control where the cracks happen. The rebar or mesh is supposed to keep the cracks from getting wider.

The relevant question is: How well is your slab supported? 6” of compacted gravel sounds good. What’s under that? If it’s undisturbed dirt and rock, then you are good to go. If it’s sand and organic material, then maybe not.

I think the worst that’ll happen is your slab will crack.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post