SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Confused by USPS item travel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Confused by USPS item travel Login/Join 
posted
Have a letter that’s supposed to arrive in Fort Wayne today. Can anyone explain why it’s taking this circuitous route? Read from the bottom up. Something special about a half hour stop in Gary?

January 27, 2020, 7:00 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
INDIANAPOLIS IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in INDIANAPOLIS IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX on January 27, 2020 at 7:00 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

January 27, 2020, 2:41 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
GARY IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER

January 27, 2020, 2:13 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
GARY IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER

January 27, 2020, 12:16 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility

January 26, 2020, 10:08 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

January 25, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If it was being sent priority overnight, maybe Gary is the local hub for them. Seems silly, but there and back.

If you have ever shipped anything via UPS Next Day Air, you’ll see most of the time, it goes to Louisville, gets sorted at the Worldship Hub, and sent back out. It’s just the way the logistics works.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Our post office used to have two slots inside. One for local the other outgoing. We are a small town of 10,000 plus the others out in the country. But there's no local any more. Everything goes in the truck and takes a ride to Columbus and back, around 60 miles each way.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Wife sent a small padded envelope (contains earrings) last Tuesday, January 21st, and as of today January 27th, it shows still in transit and yesterday confirmed with recipient it had not been received. A week for an envelope seems odd.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Back a while I saw something on fedex delivery. If you overnight an important package across town, it will fly to Memphis, get sorted, and fly back the next day. Just the way delivery works.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Nothing the USPS does surprises me!

A few years ago I ordered something that was to be shipped via USPS. I waited a couple days, checked the shipping info.

For the next 2 weeks it bounced back and forth between the same to USPS locations. It got to be a running joke here on the forum.

Finally got the Virginia (about 10 miles from where I live) where it spent several days.

Our mail carrier here changes with the weather, or something. And delivery times range from mid morning to late afternoon.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Hub & spoke distribution system. Many companies use this method.
I've had things misdirected and go to some strange places but I don't think that's what's happening in your case.
Explained here.

https://www.redwoodlogistics.c...hy-it-works-for-ltl/

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Last year, I ordered something and only after I ordered did the vendor admit it was shipping from China instead of CONUS. Despite 3 day shipping policy, the Chinese didn't ship for 10 days, but once shipped it moved at a reasonable speed until it reached Houston. Check out this musical post office BS:
  • Sunday: arrives at the North Houston distribution center
  • Monday: ships to post offices in two suburbs surrounding College Station (about 90 miles from North Houston distribution center).
  • Tuesday AM: arrives back in North Houston distribution center
  • Tuesday PM: arrives at post office in my suburb of Houston
  • Wednesday: shipped back to North Houston distribution center
  • Thursday: stays at North Houston distribution center
  • Friday: once again arrives at post office in my suburb of Houston
  • Saturday: en-route (destination not stated)
  • Monday: arrives at Chicago International Distribution Center
  • Tuesday: en-route (destination not stated)
  • 8 days later: arrives at Fuzhou Distribution Center (China)

Even though the vendor could see all of that, they still wouldn't refund my money. I had to get my credit card company involved, and my credit card sided with me.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Imagination and focus
    become reality
    posted Hide Post
    The problem is it went to Gary by mistake. In the past it would have gone to South Bend first and then to Ft. Wayne. Now I think it goes directly to Ft. Wayne from Indy. I'm not really sure about that though since it has been many years since I worked for the USPS. Anyway I am going to guess that the next tracking info shows it going from Indy to Ft. Wayne.

Posts: 6619 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Why would you track it? It will just frustrate you. All that matters is point A to point B, and how quickly.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Fred - because it’s a part I need for my Glock and if I have to contact the seller to replace a lost shipment, I’d prefer to do that ASAP.

Ogie - You nailed it. For several days tracking was predicting delivery yesterday by 8PM, but there’s no way that could happen with the Gary detour. Got an email this morning that it arrived locally and is out for delivery.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of trebor44
    posted Hide Post
    I like this, it tells all: https://www.semanticscholar.or...e4cfb785a9a/figure/0
    just a sample of how shippers work. This is what will kill the mail order business, that and the "folks" (?) who think they are losing tax dollars or business!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post