SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Of Course There Is Such a Thing as a ‘Perjury Trap’
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Of Course There Is Such a Thing as a ‘Perjury Trap’ Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
And it’s a legitimate reason for President Trump to decline to be interviewed.

National Review
Andrew McCarthy

Studies will someday be done on the deleterious effect Donald Trump has had on the brains of people who loathe him. It drives them to say things that are as palpably foolish as some of the president’s own doozies. This week’s winner: There is no such thing as a “perjury trap.”

Because some of the people making this nonsensical claim are very smart, let’s stipulate that the heated moment we find ourselves in is driven by politics, not law or logic.

Special Counsel Robert Mueller wants to interview President Trump. President Trump’s legal team is taking the public position that, although the president wants bigly to answer Mueller’s questions, the lawyers are discouraging this because it could be a “perjury trap.” That is, Mueller’s prosecutors could be plotting to trip the president up, to dazzle him into saying something inaccurate that could be grist for a false-statements prosecution.

Of course, this drives Trump antagonists to distraction. They point out that the president says many things that are not just inaccurate but knowingly false. In maintaining that there are no perjury traps, what they are really arguing is that Trump does not need to be “trapped” into perjury; that his lawyers’ claims about Mueller’s treacherousness are a smokescreen to hide their real worry: viz., that Trump will lie in the interview because that is what Trump does.

If that is what they think, then that is what they should say. It’s a perfectly coherent position, especially if one is predisposed to believe that Trump is incorrigible, and that he conspired with Russia to steal the election, then obstructed the FBI in order to cover it up.

But it’s just silly to claim that perjury traps do not exist. It is an iteration of the overarching illogic that takes hold when a Republican — especially the incumbent Republican — occupies the White House, to wit: Presidents can be irredeemable reprobates, but prosecutors and investigators are pure as the driven snow, and to question their scruples is to undermine the rule of law itself.

Let’s take scruples out of it for a second. Hypothetically, let’s assume a world in which everyone acts in good faith. The flaw in the “there are no perjury traps” nostrum is that it takes two to tango.

The theme the anti-Trump camp is pushing — again, a sweet-sounding political claim that defies real-world experience — is that an honest person has nothing to fear from a prosecutor. If you simply answer the questions truthfully, there is no possibility of a false-statements charge.

But see, for charging purposes, the witness who answers the questions does not get to decide whether they have been answered truthfully. That is up to the prosecutor who asks the questions. The honest person can make his best effort to provide truthful, accurate, and complete responses; but the interrogator’s evaluation, right or wrong, determines whether those responses warrant prosecution.

Remember, we are for now assuming, arguendo, everyone’s bona fides: The witness is being honest, and the prosecutor is not trying to dupe the witness into an inaccurate statement. Even so, most interrogations are not confined to simplicity. In investigations, even straightforward fact patterns implicate the operation of the witness’s mind; the witness’s attention span; the witness’s capacity to perceive, recall, and relate pertinent details. It is the rare interview that is just a matter of the prosecutor asking, “What’s two plus two?”

The Mueller investigation itself abounds with examples of this. Former national-security adviser Michael Flynn was questioned about his conversations with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak. There were some discrepancies between Flynn’s account of the discussions and the FBI’s understanding of them (we’ll come back to why). Did that necessarily mean Flynn lied? Of course not. To take the most obvious possibility, Flynn could have had an innocent failure of recollection. It happens to all of us; it would happen to you if you tried to describe this this column to someone without having a copy of it in hand.

The investigators and prosecutors had to weigh whether Flynn’s discrepancies were honest mistakes or conscious misstatements. It appears that the first set of investigators gave him the benefit of the doubt, but Mueller’s team drew the opposite conclusion. Yes, Flynn ultimately pled guilty, but when highly experienced investigators assess the same basic facts differently, the matter cannot be black-and-white.

Or take the George Papadopoulos case. The false-statements charge against him was largely based on misleading investigators about the timing of his conversations about Russia. The conversations happened months before the FBI asked him about them, so could he simply have remembered them wrong? Sure . . . but the investigators decided otherwise because Papadopoulos had a strong motive to fudge the timing: The conversations would seem innocuous if they’d happened before he joined the Trump campaign, but possibly sinister if after he joined, as was in fact the case. The fact that this was a sensible conclusion hardly makes it an ineluctable one.

Now let’s climb down from our hypothetical perfect world to the world we actually inhabit, where we find not only mendacious witnesses but devious prosecutors.

Back to Flynn’s case. As we’ve noted, the FBI and the Justice Department had an understanding of the Flynn–Kislyak conversations that was different from Flynn’s. That’s because they had recordings of the conversations — likely because the Russian ambassador, an agent of an adversarial foreign power, was being monitored.

Put this in context. Investigations are generally handled by FBI field offices, not headquarters. Normally, the FBI sends a line agent to interview the subject of the investigation, and the questioning commences only after the subject is informed of the purpose of the interview. But Flynn’s case was run out of headquarters, with the FBI’s top brass in consultation with the acting attorney general. To conduct the interview, the bureau dispatched to the White House Peter Strzok, the FBI’s top counterespionage agent, who generally worked on intelligence cases, not criminal probes. In his fourth day on the job as national-security adviser, Flynn had every reason to believe Strzok was there to talk business, not because Flynn was a suspect. Flynn did not have a lawyer present. We do not know whether Strzok advised him of his Miranda rights (which is often done even when, as in Flynn’s situation, it is not legally required because the suspect is not in custody). Here’s what we do know: The Justice Department and FBI were so hot to make a criminal case on Flynn that they used the Logan Act — an unconstitutional blight on the penal code that has never been used to convict anyone in over 200 years — as a pretext to investigate him.

And what did they ask him about? Conversations of which they had recordings. Why on earth would it be necessary to interrogate someone — let alone a top government national-security official — regarding the details of conversations about which the FBI already knew the details? Why conduct an investigative interview, carrying potential criminal peril, under circumstances in which the FBI already knew (a) it was Flynn’s job in the Trump transition team and as incoming national-security adviser to consult with foreign counterparts and (b) Flynn had not floated any arguably corrupt quid pro quo to Kislyak (e.g., sanctions relief as a reward for Russia’s support of Trump’s presidential bid)?

We don’t know for certain that the Flynn interview was a perjury trap. But it sure looks like one. And regardless of whether Flynn pled guilty because he is guilty (or because enormous pressure, such as the possibility of charging his son, was put on him), we also know that the question of whether to prosecute him was a judgment call — one on which Mueller aggressively said yes, when others had said no.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Perjury is to lie under oath. Is not an intent to deceive a defining characteristic of a lie? What if there is no intent to deceive in an inconsistent testimony?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Perjury is to lie under oath. Is not an intent to deceive a defining characteristic of a lie? What if there is no intent to deceive in an inconsistent testimony?

I’m sure it all depends on a person’s point of view.

Much easier to never talk to the police or agree to an interview.

The authorities can ‘make their case’ without your testimony, or give you immunity to hear it (which itself can get complicated).

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

The authorities can ‘make their case’ without your testimony, or give you immunity to hear it (which itself can get complicated).

If they claim you are just a witness or bring you before a grand jury, I'm not sure you can simply tell them to fuck off.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
If they claim you are just a witness or bring you before a grand jury, I'm not sure you can simply tell them to fuck off.

Well, you can tell them to fuck off to speaking without having your legal counsel present or after consulting with them in depth.

"I will fully cooperate with any investigation. Leave your card and I will have my attorney contact you shortly to discuss the matter further. Good bye".

And yes, I've done it and yes it works just fine, even when you are only a 'witness'. Hence the reason you need legal counsel to (1) assess your involvement under the protection of attorney - client privilege and (2) ensure that you are protected to the maximum extent possible, depending on what is going on. And your attorney can be ornery as fuck with the law but you are still 'cooperative'.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Not talking to the police is really working out well for the south side of Chicago. #snitchesgetstitches

The whole "my attorney will contact you later" is always given to me by people who are convicted a short time later.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
quote:

Not talking to the police is really working out well for the south side of Chicago. #snitchesgetstitches

The whole "my attorney will contact you later" is always given to me by people who are convicted a short time later.

It’s not absolution. An impervious defense against all worry and woe. A shield against suspicion.

“Anything you say can and will be used against you...” and anything anyone else says, too, except your attorney, and even some things (s)he might say.

At least it won’t be perjury!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It’s not absolution. An impervious defense against all worry and woe. A shield against suspicion.

“Anything you say can and will be used against you...” and anything anyone else says, too, except your attorney, and even some things (s)he might say.

At least it won’t be perjury!

The funny thing is that the attorney doesn't have to do the time that you get extra, instead of the deal that you get for cooperation. But, hey snitches get stitches.

And it for sure won't be perjury. (Why does my autocorrect keep trying to change that to surgery??)

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

The funny thing is that the attorney doesn't have to do the time that you get extra, instead of the deal that you get for cooperation. But, hey snitches get stitches.

And it for sure won't be perjury. (Why does my autocorrect keep trying to change that to surgery??)

Are you saying there is a penalty for exercising your Constitutional right to remain silent?

Your attorney can, and should make the deal if otherwise appropriate.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
jljones, try adding "perjury" to your editor dictionary.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You have the right to remain silent. If you give up the right to remain silent, anything you say can be used against you in a court of law.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Are you saying there is a penalty for exercising your Constitutional right to remain silent?

I thought you'd actually been inside of a court house before.

Those that cooperate get deals. Those who don't, don't.

Like I said, I apologize because I thought you had been involved in the criminal system before. Deals have a shelf life, if you tell the cops to fuck off, retain an attorney, and two weeks later try to make a deal, the value is less than what it was two weeks earlier. If there is any value whatsoever in what you have to say. It is entirely self inflicted.

The easiest way to think of it is like trying to buy house insurance after your house burns down. The time has passed.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
Lying under oath may not be perjury during a trial.
For instance a woman is asked "How old are you?"
She may be 35 but says "25". If her age isn't
pertinent to the subject she gets a pass.
Now, in the case of Mueller (or any federal prosecutors I've worked with) the goal isn't justice. It's conviction!
I brought this up one time__not during a trial but during the investigation preceding the trial. I flatly stated to one of the two prosecutors, "You're only interested in a conviction, not justice!" I saw a problem with one of our witnesses.
Been there....
Stay safe,
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always had a problem with grand juries. First, you go before one as a suspect or witness. Regardless, you cannot have a lawyer. But, the prosecutor can bring up anything.
If you're being questioned for a long period of time and screw up, there's no defense attorney to object.
About the best defense is plead the 5th from the start!
An indictment isn't guilt but___ the government (state or federal) has unlimited resources and you have only what money you can bring to the table.
I think Flynn didn't have enough money!
Stay safe.
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by jljones:

Whatever the lawyer is charging per hour.

After that, you rolls the dice, you takes the chances.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
quote:

In President Trump's circumstance, he has unique presidential defenses and legal theories at his disposal. It seems all the more correct to get and heed legal advice.

Furthermore, does anyone believe at this point that an interview is for exculpatory purposes?

There are times when prosecutors are NOT looking to make ANY deal. Prosecutors decide to hammer people for many reasons such as politics, sending a message to deter others, and many more.

What would a deal for President Trump entail anyway? What would it look like? Yes. I can't think of one either.

Our president faces a boundless investigation that partisans hope will find any "high crime or misdemeanor" to support impeachment. A simple example of misspeaking gets him before a system where partisan jurors could love nothing more than finding something criminal - anything. The president is a polarizing figure and he may choose to avoid getting himself a label he may be able to avoid.

Another problem is that if there is no charge, then one has the trouble of not knowing when questions are beyond the scope of legitimate inquiry.

Unlike the average citizen, this investigation is run by people who are, largely, proven partisans with many questionable examples of refused self-recusals for conflicts.

Your thought about going to an interview being dependent on a person's point of view rings true - especially in President Trump's very unique circumstance.

(While I was writing, I see Horn stated some of his experience as well.)

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Even if Mueller does not immediately bring perjury charges against Trump, he will immediately begin investigating whether Trump committed perjury. That investigation will last beyond the 2020 elections.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, I believe that perjury traps exist and that they are trying to involve President Trump in one of them. He should definitely refuse to talk directly to Mr. Mueller!

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I thought you'd actually been inside of a court house before.

Those that cooperate get deals. Those who don't, don't.

Like I said, I apologize because I thought you had been involved in the criminal system before. Deals have a shelf life, if you tell the cops to fuck off, retain an attorney, and two weeks later try to make a deal, the value is less than what it was two weeks earlier. If there is any value whatsoever in what you have to say. It is entirely self inflicted.

The easiest way to think of it is like trying to buy house insurance after your house burns down. The time has passed.

Maybe at the level of criminal you catch.