SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Briskets on my DIY Offset Smoker - 1st run
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Briskets on my DIY Offset Smoker - 1st run Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
That's a great looking build. Did you give any thought to making it reverse flow for more even smoking chamber temps?

Not when I started out with the project. Just didn't know that much about them. But if I do another one it will likely be a reverse flow build.

From your interior pics I thought it was at first. Where do you have openings amongst the floor for air to come across top of meat/cook area?

Almost looks like sealing up that floor, opening up left end of floor and moving chimney to top right would make this one.

How’s the meat looking?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
It is very close. My tuning plates do not seal anything, they are more of a heat deflector. Smoke and heat can easily rise around them. I won't know until tomorrow when they get the briskets in.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1732 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
It is very close. My tuning plates do not seal anything, they are more of a heat deflector. Smoke and heat can easily rise around them. I won't know until tomorrow when they get the briskets in.

After awhile you will or perhaps you already do know how to get you’re tuning plates really dialed. I can run mine 250 all the way across or adjust my plates and get 250 on one side and 300 on the other. Makes it nice doing different proteins at the same time. I often do briskets or back loin ribs and chicken or turkey breasts at the same time.

Ribs and brisket go on the 250 end of the smoker which happens to be right next to the firebox and poultry which I like to cook at a higher temp goes on the 300 end. Can’t do that with a reverse flow.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When’s dinner?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Pictures are requested!

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

Planning to light the smoker by 4am Saturday Big Grin

Posts: 1732 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Biggest tip I can give is feel the meat when you pull it. Temperature is a rough guideline, but it's done when that temperature probe slides in with absolutely no resistance at all. When you pick it up, it should jiggle like jello.
https://www.youtube.com/channe...6b-Cl0Fp02iMc96yoJbg

This is Aaron Franklin's YouTube channel. He has a lot of really good basic brisket videos, you can learn a whole lot from him.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Aaron's videos are really good. I have been watching this guy recently. This is how he checks for tenderness, ~23:28 into the video:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/kzWWpvJEpck?t=1409

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing your results!

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Total cook time was right around 11 hours. 6 hours unwrapped and 5 hours wrapped. I learned that my door thermometers read about 40 degrees cooler than the actual grate temp is. This was not the best brisket I've ever had but it was pretty good. The point was a little dry, but not terrible.

What do you guys spray your brisket with when you are smoking it? I kinda thought the apple cider vinegar and water mix I used made the bark taste too much like vinegar.

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
That's a great looking rig, and it clearly produces a good product!

I have a background in engineering, and have went all-out a few times building smokers. Calculating how much of a pressure differential is created by the chimney draft, air flow through the firebox, reverse flow chamber and the heat soak into the reverse flow plate can be quite challenging.

This one is my biggest and most complex build. After I finished fabricating it, it worked so well, and had such a unique look that I decided to keep it.

Yes, the security officer always gets paid for services rendered, with some very healthy portions! After all, he spent 16 hours guarding that smoker.

In the pic with the brisket, pork shoulder and ribs all sliced and ready, his expression there in the background deserves a caption. Smile He looks very focused.

Keep up the good work brother, few things are as satisfying as getting great results after being a slave for a day to a stickburner.

For brisket and pork shoulder, I don't spray mine with anything, nor do I wrap them. I leave at least a 1/4 inch fat cap on the meat, and smoke with the fat cap on top. I give them a very liberal rub of brown sugar, garlic powder, salt and jalapeno powder, then keep the cook chamber temp between 230 and 250 untill the meat probes read 203° in the center of the thickest part. I live in an area with plenty of humidity, so I don't often need to use a water pan. If the outside humidity drops below about 50%, I'll set a big pan of water directly on the reverse flow plate on the far left side of the smoker.

For ribs, I also don't wrap them at all. I smoke them with the cook chamber @ 250° . Back ribs get 4hrs and 45 minutes, and the big spare ribs racks get 5 hrs and 30 minutes. Those times are because the wife likes ribs to have a little pull. Shes not a big fan of fall off the bone tender. If I wanted the meat to fall off the bone, I would add about an hour to the cook times.

If in a hurry, I would wrap, but I'm never in a hurry when smoking meat. Waiting out the stall unwrapped, allows time for the nitrogen dioxide in the smoke to react with the pigments in the meat and create the very pronounced, beloved "smoke ring".

Cheque le:

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
That is awesome, wow nice rig!

posted Hide Post
That is the most badass thing I have seen this week! What a great skill set. I tip my hat to you. Thanks for sharing.

Make it count

Posts: 1413 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: November 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post