SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Quote for Today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote for Today Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
“If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be 'meetings.”
― Dave Barry

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jandersd
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!!!

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Posts: 1123 | Location: Cartersville, GA | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
"People who enjoy having meetings should never be in charge of anything." I'm not sure who said this, maybe Thomas Sowell? But it's true. This is often satirized in the Dilbert comic.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Geez I was going with "Darwin"

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
“If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be 'meetings.”
― Dave Barry

This has long been one of my favorites. Both Dave Barry and Scott Adams have very keen senses of business and what is going on, not to mention humor.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Used to have this CEO that scheduled meetings at the drop of a hat. Glad he is gone...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Too many meetings, and not enough doings, makes for little progress

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I long ago determined that the only purpose meetings serve is to determine when the next meeting was going to be.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
When you have pre-meetings to prep for the regular weekly meetings you can write off productivity.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
“People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything.”
- Dr. Thomas Sowell

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As I frequently say at work. “The Romans did not conquer the known world with meetings!!”

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've known staff meetings to realistically be "staph infections" as that is the most likely item to be communicated.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I long ago determined that the only purpose meetings serve is to determine when the next meeting was going to be.

^^^THIS^^^
Having worked for a public safety municipal agency, meetings are like the black plague or the 1918 flu epidemic.
Once it starts, there's no cure.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
My business is not that of an office-type environment like Dilbert's where staff meetings are common, but over the years I have run into "meeting lovers." One crumpled up a piece of paper, called it "the ball" and had everybody pass it around. Some "dropped the 'ball,'" others picked it up and ran with it. And he was an even bigger horse's ass the rest of the time, so I voted with my feet.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Anyone else dealing with the joys of Skype, web-X, Lync,
gotomeeting, or other on line meetings?

These are another story. Dogs barking, kids screaming, car and traffic sounds, people forgetting to mute and talking to.someone else about a totally different topic, people dropping from bad connections, and then rejoining. People who have headsets that sound like crap. Heavy breathers. People who just aren't listening . The list goes on. All from your coworkers.

In 2017, I spent around 300 hours in Skype meetings. I'm not proud of that fact.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

In 2017, I spent around 300 hours in Skype meetings. I'm not proud of that fact.

Dear God! That is 25 hours a month!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
At cisco, we enginerds had an acronym for useless time wasting garbage that we weren’t always successful in avoiding. The acronym is YAFM - if memory serves, the PC translation was “Yet Another Fine Meeting.” I’m pretty sure that most of us translated it with something other than “Fine” though...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:

Dear God! That is 25 hours a month!

Now you know why some of my posts seem to be from a brain dead person.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post