Picture of dwd1985
posted
Old

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
BMW X5 (2013 and newer), Porsche Cayenne (more of a fun idea), Nissan Frontier, Lexus GX.

In this group, with the parameters you have set, I think the Frontier is the only shot you have of finding anything close.

The Porsche and the BMW will not be in budget and will be maintenance cost anchors long term. The GX is unobtainable in decent shape for your price point.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
don't buy into the whole "the used car market is so crazy dealio." Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. If you think it is, than it is.

Your budget is massive for a used vehicle that you seek. Be patient. You will get yourself a great rig.
I would take a serious look at the Honda Ridgeline.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
What State or general area? How much weight, how much towing distance?

Last I bought used was a Tundra, 82k miles, just before Covid. It’s been great, no issues.

Near that time I priced new Tacomas, seemed to be in the upper 30’s for a base 4x4.

Posts: 6161 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Towing a legitimate 5000lbs with a smaller v6 is while, doable. Is not ideal by any means. Yes, I realize many will chime in and say that is no problem. But it is not a great idea imh experince.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
5k lbs is the max for the Ridgeline .

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Those X5’s and Cheyenne’s are likely plentiful as the cost of ownership is entering the hockey stick graph phase as they approach 100,000 miles. Just be sure to factor in the cost of parts and repairs delta between the German luxury cars and the Nissans and Toyotas on your list. I have owned several of both types and German cars will bleed you dry long term.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
BMW X5 (2013 and newer), Porsche Cayenne (more of a fun idea), Nissan Frontier, Lexus GX.

In this group, with the parameters you have set, I think the Frontier is the only shot you have of finding anything close.

A Frontier from 2012 thru 2019. The earlier ones had two common issues, a leaky radiator trans cooler and occasionally timing chain guides, both of which were resolved by then. Any Frontier with 4.0 engine will serve you well. All the kinks were long since worked out and the reliability shows it. Plus, they were made unchanged, and shared so many parts with the Titan, for so long parts availability is a non-issue.

Should you ever blow up the engine, a Titan V8 is practically a drop in!

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
What about renting a vehicle for the infrequent towing needs so you don't need to make that part of the specification?
That way you could rent something that is better suited for towing and have something better for your other driving requirements.
You might find something much better in your budget that way too.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
You would be quite surprised. The only reason the X5 and Cayenne ...

Back in 2017 I posted here with requirements similar to yours. I, too, had the Porsche Cayenne on my list. The membership here quickly disabused me of that notion.

Besides the relatively high initial acquisition cost there was the maintenance costs. That was what killed that idea.

quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I tow infrequently, but its usually about 5000 pounds when I do, cross country (1000+ miles).

I read somewhere, perhaps in one of the car/truck/boat forums, that it's wise to keep your load to no more than 80% of the vehicle's rated towing capacity. Going by that, you're going to want a rated towing capacity of no less than 6250 lbs.

After discarding the idea of a Porsche Cayenne, I looked into every mid-size SUV available. I read car/truck/off-road/etc. "formal" reviews for each, as well as hunted-down forums where real people related their experiences.

Every review I read said "If you're considering <this>, you should also consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee." "I don't want a Jeep" I mumbled to myself, each time. Finally, after researching and discarding about the fourth or fifth candidate and reading that line again, I was "All right! All right! I'll look at the verkakte Jeep Grand Cherokee!"

Much to my surprise, the vast majority of what I read was positive.

I ended-up with a lightly-used 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the towing package and a 5.7L Hemi.

It was a good deal more than $20k back in 2017, though.

The following spring we sold the boat that necessitated the towing capacity

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Between my business and my daughter, we have had 5 Grand Cherokees in the last 6 yrs. I just traded off my business one, a 2015 with 62k miles. It needed nothing. We were allowed 22k on a new Jeep, so I imagine dlr is selling it for 25-26k, so should be able to find one in your $ range. All were very reliable, but traded by 65k miles so cant speak to long term reliability.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing stopping me from buying the Ridgeline is an interference engine and timing belt. My Tacoma would be gone if I had a reasonable option

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’d look for a full-sized, quad cab pickup for sale by private owner. Ford, Chevy or Ram probably doesn’t matter as much as an owner who took pride in the truck and took care of it. Good luck.

Posts: 13261 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
Between my business and my daughter, we have had 5 Grand Cherokees in the last 6 yrs. I just traded off my business one, a 2015 with 62k miles. It needed nothing. We were allowed 22k on a new Jeep, so I imagine dlr is selling it for 25-26k, so should be able to find one in your $ range. All were very reliable, but traded by 65k miles so cant speak to long term reliability.

Our lab manager had 2 trouble free JGCs, traded up to a RST Tahoe for the extra space (and unfortunately much worse MPG with the 6.2 V8)

The WK2 GC ran for 10 years & there's tons on the road, just replaced this year with the WL redesign.

I've had the Grand Cherokee on my shortlist for a replacement for my 10 yr old Malibu, when it's time, would probably look for a later facelifted (2015+) model, probably an Overland if I were in the market right now.

Edit: WK2 V6 tow rating is 3500lbs without the tow pkg & 6200lbs with the tow pkg.
V8 WK2s have a tow rating of 7200lbs

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I would dive right in on an X5 if you are handy enough to do basic maintenance.

The X5 is a beautiful car, and the handling and drive is great.

Parts are a little pricier than domestic stuff, but not overly so if you skip the BMW Genuine part and go with reputable OE. Ultimately, some of what you pay is actually a result of better spec'd parts made by reputable brands. Sites like FCPEuro for parts can make keeping a BMW in tip-top shape affordable and easy. I just replaced a fog light on my X3 with an OE part made by Hella for $76. The identical light, also made by Hella as Genuine BMW, was $300+. Ignition coils by Delphi we're $110, Genuine BMW also by Delphi were $280.

The nice thing with BMWs is that there's a pretty solid enthusiast base and the long model cycle means that there's plenty of knowledge floating on the internet if you want to take on projects yourself.

No input on how the BMW would fair as a towing vehicle, but my understanding of towing is that the limitations are more a function of vehicle weight and wheelbase length (to safely stop and control a trailer), so similarly designed vehicles will suffer the same limitations.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a Grand Cherokee. My wife has had a total of 4 over the past few decades. Between the GC’s she’s had Mercedes and BMW’s but the maintenance and down time has her going back to the Jeeps. In fact she has a ‘14 limited one now (diesel, which she loves) and the new GC’s are at the top of her short list when we are looking to replace it in ‘24.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Another vote for a Grand Cherokee. My wife has had a total of 4 over the past few decades. Between the GC’s she’s had Mercedes and BMW’s but the maintenance and down time has her going back to the Jeeps. In fact she has a ‘14 limited one now (diesel, which she loves) and the new GC’s are at the top of her short list when we are looking to replace it in ‘24.

I briefly perused diesel GCs, but read a lot about them getting kneecapped in a sense with the emissions scandals.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
19 months in on a 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat (lottsa unneeded stuff) for the basic sterling specs I wanted:

4x4, 7500# tow rating, inline 4 banger with a magnificent turbo & 10 speed auto that seems to work just right. Hard for me to flog it to get below 23+ mpg. Without the gizmos, leather/bun warmers etc, it would have cost about $28k new.
My Sweet Bride needed a few upgrades in spite of my objections Wink ;

As a 'mid size' pick up it has all the virtues I was seeking. You can get 5 or 6' bed.

I like the "285HP/305# torque) as it really is there if I need it. Biggest tow I've made so far is 3500# dump trailer over short hauls; has the factory set up & a 'sport shift' stick you can treat as manual if you like.

I wasn't really after a Ford but of the 5 mid-size marques I drove, it was the only one I went back for test drive 3 times with a bigger smile before settling on it.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post