SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mission Creep at Sierra?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mission Creep at Sierra? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
American Spectator
Larry Thornberry

For those still clinging to the notion that the Sierra Club is just an organization for nice folks who like birds and who want clean air and clean water, rather than the full-service left-wing pressure group it in fact it, a sample from a recent issue of Insider, the official newsletter of the Sierra Club, will be instructive.

The Insider points with pride to the fact that Sierra Club associate communications director Javier Sierra, joined about 30,000 other fans of open borders in Washington in one of the 600 or so “Families Belong Together” rallies held across the nation to, as the Insider styles it, “demonstrate support for immigrants and opposition to the Trump administration’s ‘zero tolerance’ policy, which has separated nearly 2,500 children from their parents at the U.S. Mexico border.” No mention of the fact that the policy has also separated thousands of gate-crashers who had no business being here from the United States.

Having trouble finding the clean air and clean water connection here? Me too.

Stay a while. There’s more.

The next Insider item charges that President Trump is trying to “rig the 2020 Census by adding a question about citizenship.” And what’s wrong with asking someone living in the U.S. if he/she is a citizen? Well, you see, this, according to Sierra, is a “move that would guarantee lower participation from immigrant communities.”

“Immigrant communities?” What a nice way of saying Mexicans, Colombians, Salvadorans, Guatemalans, et al. Why folks who can’t truthfully say they are a U.S. citizen should have any participation at all Sierra doesn’t say.

I suppose there’s a way to connect these issues with clean air, clean water, and the survival of bald eagles and grizzly bears. But who would want to watch the forensic calisthenics necessary to do so? Easier to leave it at the obvious. That the Sierra Club is all left all the time.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Years ago I thought about joining and supporting them. Did a little research and decided, no way in Hades.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Best part is that the folks they want in will disregard environmental laws and kill endangered species

They do this in Florida now

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
They're a slave to their money masters and can't alienate their base. So much for their credibility in my book.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
John Muir would not be able to recognize the Sierra Club of today. It's totally changed from what he envisioned back in the 1890s. I consider myself an environmentalist. Many of my generation believe that uncontrolled immigration is one of the major negative environmental impacts to this country. Open borders would be a disaster - thousands of people flooding this country with no regard for environmental results. What kind of impact would they have on water supply for instance. Not to mention the impact they would have on the land.
This should be the major concern for environmental groups like Sierra Club. One of the fights that David Brower and the traditional environmentalists had with the Sierra Club was limiting immigration and were considered racists.
My apologies for the long rambling post

Posts: 245 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Watermelons!

Green on the outside, red on the inside.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Just this week I drove down a rural road (Colorado) and saw two couches and a bed lying on the roadsides. A month ago there was a huge pile of old shingles and roofing materials on another country road spilling into a scenic pond. While not a certainty, a safe bet is that this trash was left by illegals. There's a long and documented history of such activities. My point being that not only do the population masses have a huge impact, the individuals often don't care how they treat the land and have no sense of what taking care of the environment means. If they can dump, run and get away with it, it's all good. Someone else will clean it up.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I swear, the left is going further and further to the left, rather than staying left of center. The divide between Right and Left is a V that keeps gettign bigger and bigger. I am cautiously optimistic about our chances in November as the divide gets greater.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were members many years ago before the organization turned into an advocacy for big.gov.
Like so many environmentally oriented organizations the Sierra Club and Defenders of Wildlife have moved to Wash. D.C., hired many lobbyist and employ scads of V.P.s all making $$$,$$$. These people then spend the contributors money lobbying for more Fed. Spending on their favorite progressive causes.

So a double whammy, my contribution contributes to the support of worthless lobbyists supporting Congressional Dems in an effort to increase my taxes.

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
This should be the major concern for environmental groups like Sierra Club. One of the fights that David Brower and the traditional environmentalists had with the Sierra Club was limiting immigration and were considered racists.
My apologies for the long rambling post

Immigration's Dire Effect On The Environment

I used to be a unaffiliated supporter of the Sierra Club, after all I had backpacked and climbed all over the Sierra's and enjoyed what the land had offered, I could appreciate the efforts to protect it. I didn't agree with everything they did (Diablo Canyon) but, they kept within their lane in protecting the land from over-development and pursuing policies that cleaned-up SF Bay and overall air quality. Then they jumped the shark when Adam Werbach was elected as national president in 1996 - at the wise age of 23. Things went side-ways as Clinton became POTUS and the EPA evolved into a punitive agency of the government.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Are they at least pretending that they're doing this to generate support for environmentalism among immigrants?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post