SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rough Air and an Irate Airline Passenger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rough Air and an Irate Airline Passenger Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
Maybe venting from the stress? Some people on planes don't handle it well. I have flown a lot this year (I try to avoid LGA like the plague) and have always treated the flight crew with respect and I have found that more often than not they return in kind. Definitely a tough job.

I hate flying with a passion, hate people in general, etc. But I would never even think of taking my frustrations out on the crew. I play in a band with a commercial pilot and asked him why I almost always get all my drinks comp'ed on every airline. He said the crew profile people as they board and take note of those who look like they could and would help out in case of trouble. Somehow, I fit that profile.

Huh? What does that have to do with getting free drinks?

Apparently, if you're on the good list, you're likely to get hooked up a little. I'm pretty sure problem flyers get a reputation too.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I've heard several reports of very bumpy approaches (ORD and LGA) the last couple of days. Is there some unusual weather going on there?

We have had some very windy few days. Yesterday after buying tires for my daughter at Costco we had to walk into the wind. It was a struggle. On the news, they show people in NYC holding on to buildings so as not to get blown over.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:
Explain this remark, please.

True Religion brand jeans are bedazzled from the factory. Lots of jewels and pre-torn for an extra $100 over your standard Levis.

Yeah, their clothing is awful.

Sounds like you’re saying actual men wear these clothes. Huh

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
I've heard several reports of very bumpy approaches (ORD and LGA) the last couple of days. Is there some unusual weather going on there?

Winds in Chicago have been 60+ mph. It's been hard to even stand upright at times. The high winds blew a tractor trailer over on one of the Interstates Sunday.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
One of the least-pleasant assignments I ever had was cleaning behind the instrument panel of a Cessna in which a small girl projectile-vomited milk and half-digested oranges. It was a hot summer day, too.

I can recall many days of returning to land in a Cessna 207, from a bumpy grand Canyon tour, with each seat having filled three airsick bags along the way.

It would be really nice if folks would at least tie them off before laying them down.

What's truly awesome, however, is to to sit on a full C-130 as a wave of airsickness moves down the line. You can see it coming before the smell hits, but when it does, it's an overwhelming stench of human insides and acidic decay.

For a really fun time, put some beef stew in a sick sac and just after the door opens on jump run, pretend to vomit. Then as others are preparing to exit the aircraft, reach into the bag and take a paw full of beef stew, stuff it in your mouth, and swallow. Guaranteed to leave a trail of mist behind the airplane as everyone gets out, vomiting.

Worth it.

You are evil! I hated it when I was flying the 207 around Lake Powell, and I knew that someone had consumed cucumber salad for lunch.

Who did you fly for down there?

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I flew for Earl Leseberg, way back when, at a time when we still flew below the rim and landed inside the canyon. Lots of trips out to Monument valley, too, and many of the dirt reservation airstrips doing dead-of-night, flare-pots or car lights for runway lighting, emergency medical, etc. Air attack and fire patrol on the Kiabab, river runners, and whatnot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:

I suppose my question is why do people with neck tattoos, bedazzled clothing, and horrible attitudes expect to be respected?

Because they were told that they were ENTITLED to it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slightly off topic, but my landing approaches - yes, we did a go-around at the last second - on Southwest into BDL (Connecticut) last night SUCKED. Really bad ride.

When we landed I had about 15 texts from my pilot buddies with screenshots of PIREPS and ATC reports for the area. Wasnt a good day to be airlinin', that's for sure.

quote:
Huh? What does that have to do with getting free drinks?

I haven't paid for a drink on a plane in years. Ever since my stewardess friend told me that if I was nice, drinks would be free. She claims that it is completely at her discretion if someone pays or not. (Southwest)

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last night Reno was reporting 43 knots steady with 60 knot gusts. Rotor clouds all quadrants and possible low level wind shear. Good times.

It died down to 30 knot gusts and was still pretty bumpy.

Good days to sit on your couch if you are a nervous flyer.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anywhere on the back side of the Sierras can be rough with even a little wind. Rapid icing there in cloud, too.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Vomit?

Be on a troop transport in the middle of a Pacific Typhoon. Imagine a big grey ship filled with 2,500 servicemen bobbing like a cork.

There was puke everywhere.

I can relate to that! My first trip overseas was on the USNS Geiger. Troop ship. No idea how many troops were actually on board, but suspect at least 3 battalions.

I was blessed with guarding the dependent's area, so I got to spend time not in the hold.

We ended up on the tail end of a major north Atlantic storm with waves crashing over the bow.

Got to watch the "waves" coming down the loooong white linoleum corridor for 4 hours at a stretch. A buddy stood post at the other end.

We each made an emergency run outside and called davy. Only once, though. Never did actually feel sick, just got nauseous once. The troop compartments were hell, tho.

On a similar note my FIL who was in D Day said everyone was puking so hard on the ships and LC’s that he said he was happy to hit the beach just to get off the damn ship.
Until the day he died he never went on a boat again.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I HONESTLY feel sorry for our cabin crews. They do the most remarkable jobs with adults who act like children and children who act like brats. I could NOT do their job in a million years. I don't care how bitchy the cabin crew may be when I board the plane, because 1) I kill them with kindness and go overboard to make sure they don't need anything, and 2) I KNOW they deal with SOME type of BS on each and every leg.
Agreed. I'm nice to the stews, sit in the exit row window, say 'yes' when they give instructions, then am as low maintenance a passenger as they come.

But to see the shit they deal with - some people think air-travel is a war, or climbing Mt. Everest, or sailing the ocean - and are just drama queens.

At least siting in the exit row gets me away from families, morbidly obese, and babies.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I have found that those of us who travel frequently know the drill. Why you're on the aircraft, how to behave, how to get on and off quickly and efficiently, and how to interact with the flight crew.

Those who rarely fly seem to treat an aircraft like a bigger version of the family Mini-Van or a city bus. They can be loud, obnoxious, rude, seem to want to do it "their" way regardless of how many times they've been told. No, the big carry on will NOT fit in the overhead of an ERJ/CRJ regardless of how hard you try and cram it in there. A 22" tall bag won't fit in a 16" tall opening, that is what the pink tag is for and why the gate agent told you it won't fit. The flight crew doesn't appreciate being called "Sugar" or "Baby" either, and I don't want to smell your roast garlic, pepper, & onion sandwich for the next 3 hours.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I remember an incident years ago in which a filled airsick bag was missed between flights by the cleaning crew. Once up to altitude and the cabin pressurized the bag began to swell. The curious passenger seated in front of it moved the bag causing it to burst open all over them. They were not amused.

Lesson learned is to let sleeping barf bags lie.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I HONESTLY feel sorry for our cabin crews. They do the most remarkable jobs with adults who act like children and children who act like brats. I could NOT do their job in a million years. I don't care how bitchy the cabin crew may be when I board the plane, because 1) I kill them with kindness and go overboard to make sure they don't need anything, and 2) I KNOW they deal with SOME type of BS on each and every leg.
Agreed. I'm nice to the stews, sit in the exit row window, say 'yes' when they give instructions, then am as low maintenance a passenger as they come.

But to see the shit they deal with - some people think air-travel is a war, or climbing Mt. Everest, or sailing the ocean - and are just drama queens.

At least siting in the exit row gets me away from families, morbidly obese, and babies.

Sometimes not far enough.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those who rarely fly seem to treat an aircraft like a bigger version of the family Mini-Van or a city bus. They can be loud, obnoxious, rude, seem to want to do it "their" way regardless of how many times they've been told. No, the big carry on will NOT fit in the overhead of an ERJ/CRJ regardless of how hard you try and cram it in there. A 22" tall bag won't fit in a 16" tall opening, that is what the pink tag is for and why the gate agent told you it won't fit. The flight crew doesn't appreciate being called "Sugar" or "Baby" either, and I don't want to smell your roast garlic, pepper, & onion sandwich for the next 3 hours.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I agree completely. I think much of this behavior is directly related to making things affordable. In the early 1950s flying was very expensive and only the well heeled and business traveler could afford it. The bus fit the budget. Many people did not have phones. As a result you did not have to listen to some elses phone conversation on the bus. Those that had phones excused themselves to take calls.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post