SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ‘I feel a paw on my lap’: St. Louis Cardinals prospect bitten by bear while bow hunting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

‘I feel a paw on my lap’: St. Louis Cardinals prospect bitten by bear while bow hunting Login/Join 
posted
Nice kid. Two videos at the link show the bear approaching the tree stand. The second is an interview in which he desribes the encounter.

TREMPEALEAU COUNTY, Wis. (KTVI) — A St. Louis Cardinals pitching prospect is recovering after being bitten by a black bear while bow hunting in Wisconsin.

Dalton Roach, a 25-year-old righty with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals, told the Eau Claire Leader-Telegram it was the first time he had ever seen a bear on the family-owned land where he’d been hunting for years.

Roach posted a 7-10 record with a 5.65 ERA in 2021 for the Springfield Cardinals, according to MiLB.com.

Roach told the paper he was in a tree stand about 20 feet off the ground and grabbed his cellphone to document the encounter.

Roach said first the bear was just moseying around at first, but when he got about 20 yards away, he took a turn and came directly under his tree.

“I thought, ‘OK, it’s time to put the phone away. I want to be hands-free now,'” hetold the paper.

He said he then heard scratching and realized that the bear was climbing the tree and heading toward him.

Roach said the next thing he knew, the bear was right behind him and he could feel him breathing on his back.

“Then I feel a paw on my lap. He just kind of left the paw sitting there, so it’s not like I wanted to make a big move and make him squeeze,” he told the paper.

Roach said when he felt the gear on his back tighten he realized the bear was biting him. He decided he had to do something to try and free himself.

He had always heard bears are more scared of people than the other way around. Roach told the paper he made himself as big as he could and started yelling.

Roach said it worked because the bear backed down. Once the bear was out of sight, he headed for his truck.

“I think I still had so much adrenaline pumping that there wasn’t tons of pain going on, and I could tell there wasn’t a lot of blood dripping,” Roach told the Telegram-Leader.

He got the wound checked out at a hospital. The staff cleaned the bite, gave him antibiotics and a tetanus shot. He also got his first of what will be 22 injections of the rabies vaccine.

Roach said during the incident, he was focused on getting free. After, he admits thinking that if the bear had been more aggressive, he might not have been looking forward to pursuing a career in the Major Leagues or spending time with his family.

LINK: https://wgntv.com/news/i-feel-...r-while-bow-hunting/

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but can the bear hit the major league curve ball?

Posts: 6470 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
He also got his first of what will be 22 injections of the rabies vaccine.

Eek

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I have seen vids of this before, but the others were smart enough to make noise "before" the bear got up the tree!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
He also got his first of what will be 22 injections of the rabies vaccine.

Eek

Been there done that. Not pleasant.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Yeah, but can the bear hit the major league curve ball?

quote:
Bear said:

Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
This is a new low by the Cubs. Biting one of the Cardinal's prospects. Big Grin

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Sounds like he was deer hunting?

A bear hunter got bit in the foot 8-10 years ago in MI, similar scenario. He was bear hunting.

I was bear hunting in MI years ago, a smaller bear started up the tree I was in. Once he got within 10 feet or so I moved some, made some noise & pointed my Rifle towards the bear. It was a smaller but legal bear, didn’t want to shoot it. Once it saw me move with some noise, it decided to go back down. Had it got close, I was prepared to shoot it.

Many deer bow hunters carry a handgun while hunting. Not saying to sling lead at any bear, but unpredictability is their trait.

I think in my case, there was scent on the tree steps the bear found inviting.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a new low by the Cubs. Biting one of the Cardinal's prospects.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Durocher would have done it.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So..........shooting the bear was not an option? Roll Eyes

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you eat the bhar. Sometimes the bhar eats you.

Posts: 7356 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks. Was that a young cub who climbed the tree. It looked like his mother in the distance. Lucky guy.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Per the video, the kid seemed to be a smart well rounded, well spoken person who kept his head and managed to handle a bad situation fairly well. Hope he has great success with the Cardinals.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8jRTrRxamxQ" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]
That was a really cool video. And I'll echo the guy in the tree stand's comment. Wow!

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I've not forgotten this one from a few years ago. They're laughing and giggling like it's nothing.

The woman does some funny things, like wagging her pink fingernail at the bear and telling him ass is too big.

It's just a big party until someone gets hurt.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
1. See the Black Bear?

2. Climb the nearest tree.

3. Black bear will follow you to eat you.

or

1. See the Brown Bear?

2. Climb the nearest tree.

3. Brown bear will shake the tree until you fall out.

4. Then eat you.

Please note - from my 'Meet the Bear' lecture we attended in BC some years ago - a Brown bear is a very light-toned black bear. A Black bear is a very dark-toned Brown Bear.

We were then shown a shaky bit of amateur movie of a park ranger being chased by a very large and athletic brown bear, about 90% of a grizz. The bear was closing in on the ranger, who was only saved by jumping a ten-foot wide and ten-foot deep firebreak ditch. Not that HE was particularly athletic, but the horse he was riding clearly did not want to be et.

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was hiking in Franconia Notch (NH) a few years back with my son. We look up about 50 yards down the trail and 2 cubs are climbing a tree on the left. I look right and Mama is watching us up on a small hill/rise. We backed up a few feet. A group of naive hikers walked right past us despite the cubs being pointed out to them. Then Mama stood up and made some noise. Fun to watch them scramble backwards, fall down and shit themselves. The cubs departed a few minutes later and all was good. People are very oblivious and ignorant to the dangers wildlife can pose if not respected.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8jRTrRxamxQ" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]
The difference now is that people want a video so bad that they will put themselves in serious danger to get it.

There’s no way that any sane person allows that bear to get that close without making an attempt to scare it off if a camera wasn’t involved.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Jerry Reed said it best in a song, “Lord if you’re not gonna help me, please don’t help that bear.” Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post