SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Drought impacts Panama Canal shipping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drought impacts Panama Canal shipping Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“GATÚN, Panama (AP) — An intense drought related to this year’s El Nino phenomenon has precipitously lowered the level of Panama’s Gatun Lake, forcing the country’s Canal Authority to impose draft limits this week on ships moving through the waterway’s recently expanded locks.

The restrictions on how deep the vessels can reach below the surface means large ships, primarily from the United States and China, must pass through with less cargo, which translates into lower revenue for the voyages. The driest period in memory for the canal basin is also hitting small indigenous villages that depend on tourism along the tributaries of the inter-oceanic passage…”

https://apnews.com/f0ab0672ca284c01b0ced4a648c48d88

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I experienced a Princess Cruise full transit of the Panama Canal last year. Simply breathtaking when coupled with the thoughts of the time, cost, lives lost in constructing this wonder.

We were on a 'small ship' that allowed about a foot on each side of the hull while in the locks. The ship needed some paint after the passage.

This was a great experience and one I would do again.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've been fortunate to sail through the canal several times on tankers. This was back before the expansion. At that time, most ships were built with a "Panamax" beam, allowing them to fit into the locks with a maximum width (beam).

My father was born in the Canal Zone while my grandfather worked on the construction of the canal. I have some very interesting collectables from that era.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38683 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
My wife and I experienced a Princess Cruise full transit of the Panama Canal last year. Simply breathtaking when coupled with the thoughts of the time, cost, lives lost in constructing this wonder.

We were on a 'small ship' that allowed about a foot on each side of the hull while in the locks. The ship needed some paint after the passage.

This was a great experience and one I would do again.

Mike

I found that cruise to be one of my most memorable Caribbean cruises ever.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only explanation for this is be global warming Roll Eyes At least that's all I've heard from MSM.

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow a drought. Pretty soon we should have enough water here in Ohio to build a substantial canal.
It just keeps drenching us daily. My property is so wet, I cannot mow and have not been able to mow.
So, when you talk about drought, it does not seem so bad.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That would be an interesting cruise, are there many ports of call where you can get off the ship?

We did the Vancouver to Alaska cruise, the short runs and then getting off were great, but the two days on a ship to get to the glacier were a bit much, you can only drink, eat and sleep so much LOL

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Kind of hard for me to figure out what they are using water from a lake when there is plenty on either side of the canal....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
China thinks 10-20 years ahead. They play the long game. Why do you think they tried to buy a ton of real estate on northern Iceland? They want to control the northwest passage when the ice melts.

They are investing in Panama for the same reasons.

This is all about control over shipping 10-20 years down the road.

Google China and Iceland relations. Why would China be interested in Iceland? In 20 years that shipping lane will be free from ice. Think ahead.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Kind of hard for me to figure out what they are using water from a lake when there is plenty on either side of the canal....
Gatun Lake is higher than the oceans on either side, which is the main reason for the locks. It is also fresh water and they would not want to introduce sea water into it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Gatun Lake is higher than the oceans on either side, which is the main reason for the locks. It is also fresh water and they would not want to introduce sea water into it.

flashguy

Yes, thus the locks are gravity fed.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38683 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The lake has to remain freshwater for the ecosystem and drinking water. So when the locks are open, it was to be at a height that the water flows out to the ocean and they don’t get saltwater intrusion in. I was at the Panama Canal last week and didn’t notice any ships that weren’t loaded to the load line and saw some of the ones going through that need the larger locks. The good news is their rainy season is right around the corner. I’m currently bringing a yacht back the the U.S. from panama and left there last Wednesday. Currently in Isla Mujeres waiting on weather to cross to key west.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post