SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me pick out a laptop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick out a laptop Login/Join 
posted
I’m looking to pick a laptop for my wife. This will solely be used for school and her work from home days. My wife is an RN and is going back to school online. She will also be doing chart reviews from home for the hospital ED admissions. The hospital requires these employees to have their own computer and they will load what is needed onto the computers. She will need to have multiple monitors attached. What specs should I be looking for? The current laptop we have is too slow and doesn’t have enough storage. I’m hoping not to spend a fortune. Thank you

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Check out Lenovo-Thinkpad series ------they also have a scratch-n-dent site with very good deals

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4572 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rocket72
posted Hide Post
The Lenovo c740 15in has been a solid citizen for the money. If either of you have access to a workplace discount, you can really pick up a good deal.

Posts: 1537 | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Recommend Lenovo Thinkpad for business use laptops. For my money, I would go with something in their T series like a T4xx or a T14.

Two things to look for: USB-C docking and lots of RAM. 16gb minimally, 32 better.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Recommend Lenovo Thinkpad for business use laptops. For my money, I would go with something in their T series like a T4xx or a T14.

Two things to look for: USB-C docking and lots of RAM. 16gb minimally, 32 better.

I'd do the factory store, scratch and dent if they still have one.
I have a t14 from a few years ago that was the first computer that was a huge step forward. No mechanical hard drive, all solid state. It's a hot rod and goes from off to ready in 14 seconds with a great screen too.
I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am going to respond from a different aspect. When you buy a new laptop you get a ton of bloatware and programs that you never asked for, don't need, and generally slow everything down. It happened to me; it was so bad I promised myself never again.
The laptop I purchased was a high end HP laptop so I haven't need to replace it yet. It took me weeks to sort through and delete all the unwanted things.

When I do purchase another laptop, I promised myself the following:

1. If buying new (yes I know it might void the warrantee) I will immediately format the hard drive and install my own copy of Windows and Office along with the specific programs I want / need.
2. When it comes time again, I will probably buy a high end used laptop and do the same, upgrading the NVME and memory at the that time.

I have had it with all the major Manufactures and the pathetic marketing gimmicks they place on the computers.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have a Lenovo/ThinkPad. I have zero complaints, but for cost/value I'd suggest Dell refurbished.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Dell business laptops are good and minimize the bloatware.

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
She needs portability for school, but not for the work at home job, correct? Will the laptop she has work for school? Plus she just use a mini desktop computer for the work at home?

I ask because hooking multiple monitors, a keyboard, a mouse, and a docking station up to a laptop takes up valuable real estate on your a desk and there’s a ton of wires. Plus, the Thunderbolt or USB-C docking station will cost between $100 and $250.

If you do need a new laptop, get one with a Thunderbolt 3 port. Not all USB-C ports on laptops support external displays, so if you skip the Thunderbolt 3 and opt. instead for USB-C make sure it actually supports external displays.

I like Dell Latitudes from the Dell Outlet laptops. All of the 35 of them I’ve bought in the last six years lasted at least 4 years and most have gone 6 years.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Before doing anything, ask the school/hospital what brands/models their IT department supports.

Buy from that list, if you don't want to be on your own when you need support.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga. I have the 390, but that's a year and a half old by now, so I'm sure there's a new model.

Great machine.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The laptop she is using now for school has been having problems and was a Black Friday special a few years ago. Probably should have passed on it. It’s my understanding that the hospital will be providing docking hardware and monitors if available.

Space isn’t really an issue. We have an extra room downstairs that is going to be converted to an office. It will accommodate both of us on the days we both work from home. I will be looking at the Lenovo and Dell’s from the outlet. Thanks for all the input.

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it have to be a PC? The new M1 Macs are faster, quieter and have 4 times the battery life of PC's costing 2-3 times as much. Currently they are by FAR the best deal in laptops........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thinkpad is good but you know, lenovo is China.

If you need function, almost anything will serve. If you want function and performance, the choices narrow down. If you want function, performance and reliability, I’d look at any enterprise level system from Dell. Upper end XPS or latitude. That’s it. No hp.

Only other consideration might be msft surface.

Get Intel 11th Gen core i5/i7.

Apple is good but limited multi monitor support. 11th Gen supports up to 4 I think. But you’ll need a docking station.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
15" MacBook Pro

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post