SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joined a new gym.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joined a new gym. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Hopefully I'll actually use the membership, I'm guessing I'll at least use the range some. Cool concept of Range, Bar, Cafe, and Gym all in one.

www.xcal.com

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
That does look cool, and possibly quite expensive...Cost?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8924 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Very cool concept. Hope it works out great for you.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

$90 per month (preopening special, +$10 now) for shooting and fitness for one. Then add ons for family/spouse.

Or $10k for family lifetime membership for all amenities. Eek

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
$90 per month (preopening special, +$10 now) for shooting and fitness for one.
Yikes!

My little gym is $30/mo. with my old guy discount. I spend less than $100/year on range fees. I rarely go to bars anymore, make my own coffee that's as good as anything you'll get in a cafe, and my wife's baking beats anything you can buy, anywhere.

Cool concept, but I don't think I'll be making that move Wink

The trick, Skins, is to get yourself motivated enough to pack your gear, get into your car, and get yourself more than halfway to the gym. Once you've managed that you've got it Smile

There have been days I really, really didn't feel like working out. One motivator is reminding myself every time that's happened in the past I felt so much better after I did my workout.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Yikes!

My little gym is $30/mo. with my old guy discount. I spend less than $100/year on range fees. I rarely go to bars anymore, make my own coffee that's as good as anything you'll get in a cafe, and my wife's baking beats anything you can buy, anywhere.

That does sound a little pricy. $30 is the going rate around here.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yikes!

Cool concept, but I don't think I'll be making that move Wink

The trick, Skins, is to get yourself motivated enough to pack your gear, get into your car, and get yourself more than halfway to the gym. Once you've managed that you've got it Smile

There have been days I really, really didn't feel like working out. One motivator is reminding myself every time that's happened in the past I felt so much better after I did my workout.

Luckily I get off work at 2-2:30 and it's only five minutes out of the way on the trip home. That should make it easier.

Also my work pays for 50% of gym membership, so if they let this count it's only $45 per month.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I love the idea.
I'd go if they had something in my neck of t he woods. Cool

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding cost - it's Northern VA. Cool concept and if you add in all the separate things maybe you're not too unreasonable.

Glad to see more of these opening up - shows that shooting sports is not dying despite the fervent wishes of the Banners.

I'm a member at Elite Shooting Sports and have been really happy with them. I like having 50 and 100 yd options.

Assburn (Ashburn) is a bit of a drive for me but it's by my work so might swing by one afternoon...

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Luckily I get off work at 2-2:30 and it's only five minutes out of the way on the trip home. That should make it easier.
Definitely.

That was how I ended-up joining Life Time Fitness (back when they were actually an honest-to-God adult-fitness-oriented club). They were building a new club directly on my daily commute route.

By the time I was approaching retirement, LTF was no longer the club it'd been when I joined, they were set to raise my fee to $75/mo., and there were other, smaller clubs, for far less money, no further from home than the LTF. So I moved on.

But, man, that was a nice club for the first few years.

quote:
Also my work pays for 50% of gym membership, so if they let this count it's only $45 per month.
It's good they do that. I could never convince my old employer of the wisdom of it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

$90 per month (preopening special, +$10 now) for shooting and fitness for one. Then add ons for family/spouse.

Or $10k for family lifetime membership , until they go out of business and with all amenities. Eek

FIFY Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Wink

"I joined a gym, but it didn't work for me. Turns out you have to actually go and show up."

(As best as I can remember this from some comedian I can't recall who. Possibly Steven Wright)

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully I'll actually use the membership, I'm guessing I'll at least use the range some. Cool concept of Range, Bar, Cafe, and Gym all in one.

www.xcal.com

That's a great two-in-one combo. I still don't understand why they don't combine bars with laundromats.

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I named my toilet JIM. I can truly say "I went to the Jim today". People hear GYM but who am I to correct them?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
All seems good until you get to the cost. Seems really expensive.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Guess it depends on what the gym offers and how much you use the range.
Gym membership around here goes from $40-$125 a month.
Indoor range about $10 an hour. So 6 hours of range time and the lowest gym membership you’re about square.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a major gym rat in the early 80's to early 90's. Gym rates were about $365 a year. Real gyms not "fitness centers". Planet Fitness rates are now $10.00 a month. Only thing that has gotten cheaper over the years. I guess they now rely on volume and high turnover. Hit the gym hard and everything you do is so much easier. You won't believe the benefits when your firearms magically get lighter.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Or $10k for family lifetime membership for all amenities. Eek
There is a lot of money in/around Loudoun County.

Posts: 9055 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:

Guess it depends on what the gym offers and how much you use the range.
Gym membership around here goes from $40-$125 a month.
Indoor range about $10 an hour. So 6 hours of range time and the lowest gym membership you’re about square.

I guess I'm spoiled since I get premium gym memberships at no cost through my medicare insurance plan. I use LA Fitness because they are close, but have also registered at 24Hr fitness and Liftime Fitness. Range times these days have been sparse due to ammo costs.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I mean that's the same cost as most Martial Arts Dojos's or say a crossfit style gym membership.

To combine range fees into that cost. If someone is interested in multiple things. Say BJJ, Fitness, and shooting. I think the cost is pretty reasonable.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post