SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tennessee permit-less handgun carry... updated with details of the law, pg 2, effective today, 7/1/21
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tennessee permit-less handgun carry... updated with details of the law, pg 2, effective today, 7/1/21 Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
...And he ran for office with a promise to sign it if it got to him!
Mr Bill Lee... Are you a man of your word?

Snip from the "Tennessean" newspaper.

The Tennessee General Assembly has approved Gov. Bill Lee's legislation to allow most adults to carry handguns without obtaining a permit, a measure some Republicans sought for years to pass.

The permitless carry bill, which supporters have dubbed "constitutional carry," passed the House of Representatives 64-29 on Monday night. Just five House Republicans voted against it. The bill was approved in the Senate on March 18 and can now be signed into law by the governor.

The law, which will take effect July 1, allows for both open and concealed carrying of handguns for people 21 and older without a permit as well as for military members ages 18 to 20. It does not apply to long guns, a point of contention among gun rights activists.

"This bill is not the end of the journey," House Majority Leader William Lamberth, R-Portland, said from the floor Monday evening, confirming an appetite remains in the GOP-controlled legislature to remove more gun restrictions in the future. "This is a massive step forward for freedom."

Link: (pay wall but "reader" version will work)

https://www.tennessean.com/sto...gun-bill/7049477002/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cparktd,

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
We have constitutional carry in MO, but I still keep a permit for reciprocity to other states.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
We have constitutional carry in MO, but I still keep a permit for reciprocity to other states.

Yup. Will be the same here with two options. One is periodic renewal, or for more $$$ a lifetime permit.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:

Yup. Will be the same here with two options. One is periodic renewal, or for more $$$ a lifetime permit.

Lifetime permit sounds great.....I hope we follow suit.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Something simular is being proposed here in Louisiana. Depending on the age of the applicant the "lifetime" might not be cost effective. Will keep the "CHP" to make travel to other states easier. .................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
An 8 year permit is $100. To upgrade from a current 8 year renewal cycle permit to a lifetime permit is $200 bucks.

Lifetime is $300 bucks for a newly issued permit.

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Also in process is a bill to require background checks on all gun sales, through a dealer, but they managed to keep it out of this bill so hopefully that nonsense is dead... especially since the permit-less carry bill passed so easily, more then 2 to 1 in favor in the house.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Freakin' beautiful.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30425 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We have open carry in Ohio. Not sure why I have to pay (voluntarily) a tax if I want my shirt tail covering it. I appreciate the privilege and reciprocity.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
As a practical matter I'll still keep and renew (when it comes up) my permit, since I'm very close to VA and NC, with KY just a little farther. But this is still a great thing.

Posts: 27989 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
This is great news for Tenn., hope your Gov follows through on his campaign promise. Tenn folks need to call his office and encourage him.

This will make twenty states correct?

Hoping Texas becomes 21 this year.

HK Ag

Posts: 3505 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Constitutional carry here in WV since June 2016. No blood filling the gutters. Homicides decreased and suicides are virtually unchanged.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Way to go Tenn. congrats!
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1695 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past Master
Picture of yucaipa
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here, also the permit bypasses the background check. None of that wait/come back later nonsense.

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

Posts: 3967 | Location: Boone County, Arkansas | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Good for Tennessee! We keep trying here in Texas.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Tennessee keeps getting better and better!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Tennessee!
quote:
five House Republicans voted against it

Confused individuals, those. Roll Eyes

Posts: 15036 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Good for Tennessee! We keep trying here in Texas.

flashguy

TX should hang its head in shame.

Q

Posts: 26465 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:

Q

So should PA!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
quote:

Q

So should PA!

At least PA has an excuse, with a commie occupying the governor mansion. TX has zero excuses, with the GOP having been in control of all branches of state government for years, now.

Q

Posts: 26465 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post