SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EZGO Golf cart electrical question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EZGO Golf cart electrical question Login/Join 
posted
Have a mid 2000's that set 3 months unplugged. ( normally I disconnect the batteries but didn't this time)
Wouldn't charge and a couple connections in the first two batteries were replaced. First two were dead reminder had about 3 volts on the 6 volt battery. Got the first two charged enough that the normal charger would work. Initially it would not due first two being too low.
All six now read over six volts and the series is above 36.
But cart initially would only barely move. Then yesterday it operated normally during a 100 yard test drive. Next test drive it dies and now is completely dead.

When testing the individual batteries I thought one showed 9 volts once and same battery had a temperature of 104 vs the 84 degrees of the remaining 5.

I suspect one of two things.
1. Bad cell in said battery.
2. Solenoid is bad.

If I were to replace the one battery would that potentially fix it?
Batteries are 3-4 years old and usually last 6 years or so. Full set of batteries will run me $600 that I really don't want to spend and from what I can tell they are accepting a charge and can work.

Leaning towards trying to replace the one if that may work.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're going to have to bite the bullet and buy six batteries to me but I'm not an expert. You can try one and if it doesn't work out get the other 5 in short order.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a battery failure to me, too.

Often, lead acid batteries damaged by over-discharge can still charge to an apparently good voltage, but under load the voltage crashes and they can barely supply any current.

If you take the batteries to an auto parts store, they generally will have a battery load tester that can check this for you (and usually do it for free).

With batteries in series, even one damaged battery can stop the whole thing from working. If it is a battery problem, you might not need to replace all of them, and a load test is the best way to figure out which one(s) need it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Sounds like you're going to have to bite the bullet and buy six batteries to me but I'm not an expert. You can try one and if it doesn't work out get the other 5 in short order.

Best Idea! Be Thankful they are Not 12 volt batteries, like mine (Now that's Expensive!)..

Posts: 468 | Registered: July 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Best deal on Golf Cart batteries is East Penn, I have a 48V cart, and it's just over $600.

https://www.eastpennmanufactur...ontact/where-to-buy/

Click there, enter your zip and see where the closest distributor is located, take the old in for core and swap.

If the solenoid or some component was bad it probably would never have moved and you'd have 36 V across the set.

I've never had a set last 6 years here in FL, 3-4 is the limit. Check water level, be sure to put in distilled water, publix sells it for a buck a gallon.

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
One of the batteries is bad and has a high impedance. You need to put a load test on each battery to find the bad battery. Also, there could be more than one battery bad.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
After the cart wouldn't run, what did the total voltage in the batteries read? Remember, you need a total of 36V.
Also after charging let them sit an hour or so and re-check the voltage.
Get a hydrometer (looks like an antifreeze tester) at an auto parts store so you can check the individual cells in each battery after charging. That will tell you exactly where the problem is.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Only way to know is to load test each battery individually. They are all showing 6 volts, but as soon as you load them one (or more) is probably cratering. When the load disappears, the voltage probably pops back up to 6 volts so it looks fine.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3516 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
41 and Perception are on it.

Open circuit voltage will not tell you if the cell is bad, you need to measure it loaded and see that the cell can push a constant current under a stable voltage. That indicates the cell has capacity. If the voltage drops under load, even after a period of trickle charging, it can't hold a charge and is due for a trip behind the barn. A bad cell in the series pack will tax the other cells. Get em out of there.

Lead acid battery testers are little more than a voltmeter connected across a dummy load resistor.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I think the OP has identified the bad battery. And load testing the rest will tell him that maybe the others are on their last leg as well. The question is would it be ok to replace just one. Put me in the "NO" column. It's been my experience that rarely works out well.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced the one that heated up. 90% sure it's fixed. Keeping fingers crossed.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
Sounds like a battery failure to me, too.

Often, lead acid batteries damaged by over-discharge can still charge to an apparently good voltage, but under load the voltage crashes and they can barely supply any current.

If you take the batteries to an auto parts store, they generally will have a battery load tester that can check this for you (and usually do it for free).

With batteries in series, even one damaged battery can stop the whole thing from working. If it is a battery problem, you might not need to replace all of them, and a load test is the best way to figure out which one(s) need it.

This and you need to replace all of the batteries. Changing one will put a big load on that one batteries as the old ones will drag it down...... Batteries work as a set, just like tennis shoes........Trojan seems to make the longest lasting golf cart batteries (for the price).

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
We replace the batteries pretty much every year or two.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Basic electrical: if the batteries total 36 volts, that means they are connected in series (positive of one to negative of the next). In a series circuit, if one fails, so does the rest of the circuit, like one burned-out bulb in a Christmas tree light string taking out the string.

Posts: 27970 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post