SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Power adaptor for Europe question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power adaptor for Europe question Login/Join 
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted
Headed to Finland in late April. I need a power adapter to plug my stuff into. Anyone have a proven winner for one or at least steer me in the right direction on one?

Only one so far I’ve found is this one

https://shop.samsonite.com/acc...pouch/49559XXXX.html

With crappy reviews

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Samsonite link that you provided.

It actually converts the voltage from their 230 Volts, to our 110 Volts.

quote:
Compact power management kit includes: 1600 watt converter to transform 220V electricity to 110V

This may or may not be necessary, but it does lead me to ask: WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO POWER?

for MODERN cell phone adapters, it likely is designed for both 110 and 230, so it won't matter.

But do you have something that's 110 only?

on the other hand that samsonite kit also includes the plug adapters too...

quote:
4 country-coded adapter plugs corresponding to top foreign destinations: the UK, Europe. Asia, Australia, Africa, the Middle East and North and South America.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
There's a crapload on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=eur...b_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_8

I've only used a couple that I picked up at the airport on the way. Both worked fine.

The problem is plugging 110v into 240v outlets, unless there's a transformer in the line as well. What voltage do they use up there?

ETA: Ack, Radioman beat me to it.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Laptop, cell phone...?

I don't think I have anything that isn't multi-voltage, which really only requires plug adapter part. Not the voltage adapter. Look at everything you're taking and verify if it's multi-voltage.

Edit:
For Finland there are two associated plug types, types C and F. Plug type C is the plug which has two round pins and type F is the plug which has two round pins with two earth clips on the side. Finland operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I bet you could buy wall chargers for your electronics at the arrival airport, certainly for your phone if not for your laptop as well.

I use a UK iphone wall charger when I'm over there, just need the OEM lightning cable.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine what you would need a converter for, unless you plan on lugging along your coffee maker or toaster.

Like already implied, you'll probably just need a plug adapter.

I travel with this one.

SAUNORCH Universal International Travel Power Adapter W/ High Speed 2.4A USB, 3.0A Type-C Wall Charger, European Adapter, Worldwide AC Outlet Plugs Adapters for Europe, UK, US, AU, Asia-Black https://a.co/d/84CG6sB

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had to lug a converter to Europe since the early 90's. The vast majority of electronics today, particularly portable devices are multi-voltage; check the small print near the plug. If needed, any tourist hot spot and transportation center is going to be filled with vendors selling adapters, SIM cards, memory cards, cables with any combination of plugs, cases, pouches... Unless you know exactly what you're looking for, a basic adapter should run around $3-10, any travel or, outdoor store here in the states carry them; even a few grocery stores and office supply stores.

Universal adapters are popular, I have one of these

I also carry these basic adapter plugs also. I ran into a situation where the outlets in my room in Italy would fit these plugs, but not the above universal adapter plug. Oddly, the prongs of the plugs were a fraction of a millimeter too big. I'm considering carrying a travel power strip as I've rented a few rooms where there was only one plug...and the lamp was using it.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
What do you need to plug in exactly? Laptop power supplies are dual voltage so all you’d need is a plug adapter. Not sure about phone chargers but I think they do the same.

Looks like Finland uses the same plug as Germany.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
No laptops or anything huge. Just a power bank for my iPhone and charger for it. A drone DJI mini 3 pro and maybe a camera battery.

I have a surge protector that I will plug stuff into. I never had a problem with I went to Sydney 10 years ago.

Here is my info on Finland

For Finland there are two associated plug types, types C and F. Plug type C is the plug which has two round pins and type F is the plug which has two round pins with two earth clips on the side. Finland operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:

I have a surge protector that I will plug stuff into.

I hate the multi-outlet or power strip type surge protectors. I hate them even more when taking them to a foreign country that uses higher voltage than the surge protector may be rated for.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThankGod4Sig:
No laptops or anything huge. Just a power bank for my iPhone and charger for it. A drone DJI mini 3 pro and maybe a camera battery.

All you need then is something like this:

Europe (Schuko) Travel Adapter - Type E/F - Dual USB (CTU-9)

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of james_1234
posted Hide Post
This is what I bought for my trip last summer. Works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...n_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Posts: 1362 | Location: Colorado | Registered: May 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This is all we use for our mobile device and digicam battery chargers in Netherlands: Unidapt European Plug Adapter Power Converter, Travel from USA US to EU Europe, European Travel Plug Adapter, Italy Plug Adapters, International Outlet Adaptor, America to Euro Outlets, Type C 4-Pack

Just make sure your electronics are listed as 110-250VAC, 50/60Hz, and you should be GTG.

N.B.: For other/future readers: The U.K. is not Europe. They have entirely different electrical wall sockets/plugs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
As someone said, you shouldn't need a voltage converter especially for Europe unless you're bring appliances. If all you're bringing are electronics like phones, laptops, etc. they have automatic voltage conversion already in. If you use a shaver, they usually have a switch on the shaver to flip from 120 to 240.

Even if it wasn't a power converter, I would advice against your example because of too many loose parts.

Here's two that are just power plug adaptors and you can just carry one anywhere you travel.

Link 1

Link 2

I think the one I have which do not have USB outlets can do worldwide including asia.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:N.B.: For other/future readers: The U.K. is not Europe. They have entirely different electrical wall sockets/plugs.

Correct - the wall socket system here in UK looks like nothing else on earth. So do the plugs.

See the Youtube articles about bringing your electrical appliances to UK from US. And don't expect outlets in bathrooms, either - it's a big no-no here.

Basically, if it's got a motor in it, forget it.

One of the most important pages of advice to US service personnel coming here is to leave all your US domestic stuff at home.

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
And heaven help you if you step on one of those UK plugs with bare feet in the dark. Fear of UK plugs in the dark is probably the real reason Hitler refused to invade. Big Grin

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We pack this every time we travel:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ES6KPM

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
As the saying goes, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one" ... and I am no different.

So from this asshole's opinion this is what I had on hand during my numerous travels through Europe :

https://www.amazon.com/EPICKA-...ps%2C299&sr=8-3&th=1

This is an upgrade from mine as I only have 2 USB ports. Whether you need it or not, it is a cheap $20 investment to have on hand.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
Check your email. Got one you can have if you think it will work. Safe travels.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoupdawg:
Check your email. Got one you can have if you think it will work. Safe travels.

Never got anything

try shop9111@gmail.com